A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:17:47 am
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 136rm hotel between Best Buy and Mathis Bros  (Read 11335 times)
inteller
« on: March 20, 2008, 06:45:58 am »

This is the Aloft that WAS going to be next to Hoodlum Hills Mall.  However at 136 rooms that is pretty small.  4 stories.  Must be some pretty big rooms at 4 stories.

However, it does show an interesting trend.  Hotels are popping up all around the 71st st corridor.  So is the theory, attend conferences in downtown, stay in south Tulsa?  It sorta reminds me of the "stay in the Galleria, do business downtown" concept in Houston.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 06:50:07 am by inteller » Logged
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 07:33:13 am »

The theory is... Build stuff where the people are and go.

Someone once asked the developer of many of these hotels why he doesnt build one downtown? He answered, Because nobody goes down there.

Why would he build something in the middle of no where? You may say thats what the 71st corridor is, but a loooot more people go down there than go downtown. A grouping of tall empty buildings surrounded by parking lots and run down buildings does not equate to lots of people. They might as well be rocks in a field. It may "look" urban, but currently it is not.

Oh and the theory may also be,,, Attend conferences in South Tulsa, stay in South Tulsa.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
inteller
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 08:30:56 am »

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist

The theory is... Build stuff where the people are and go.

Someone once asked the developer of many of these hotels why he doesnt build one downtown? He answered, Because nobody goes down there.

Why would he build something in the middle of no where? You may say thats what the 71st corridor is, but a loooot more people go down there than go downtown. A grouping of tall empty buildings surrounded by parking lots and run down buildings does not equate to lots of people. They might as well be rocks in a field. It may "look" urban, but currently it is not.

Oh and the theory may also be,,, Attend conferences in South Tulsa, stay in South Tulsa.

but to hear it from the mayor's office, downtown is going to be the happening place once the money pit is complete.

arena like conference facilities are severely lacking in south tulsa.  UMAC is a joke, and I have yet to see what the Spirit bank facility will be like, but I'm thinking UMAC on steroids.....not Expo Square calibur....which is really what South Tulsa needs.
FOTD
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 11:24:43 am »

The next big commercial fallout from over extended credit will be in the hospitality industry. The Bear Stearns collapse involves lots of this Enronesque abuse....
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 11:38:58 am »

quote:
Originally posted by FOTD

The next big commercial fallout from over extended credit will be in the hospitality industry. The Bear Stearns collapse involves lots of this Enronesque abuse....

Bite your tongue!
inteller
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 11:58:03 am »

oh the hospitality industry goes through collapses all the time.
hoodlum
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 01:02:13 pm »

this makes as much sense as the renaissance across from it.
inteller
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 01:09:03 pm »

the renaissance packs them in regularly.  the hold some big weddings there and they also hold a lot of low tier shows like wedding shows and what not.
hoodlum
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 01:55:01 pm »

location doesn't make sense to me

the target parking lot
inteller
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 02:09:47 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by hoodlum

location doesn't make sense to me

the target parking lot

pancakes are you talking about?  the two lots have no adjoining entrances.
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 02:35:12 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

the renaissance packs them in regularly.  the hold some big weddings there and they also hold a lot of low tier shows like wedding shows and what not.

As someone with a brand-spanking new degree in Tulsa Hospitality-ology, I can tell you that the Renaissance is probably the swankiest hotel in Tulsa right now.  It also has the most convention space of every major property except for the Convention Center itself. It prices itself above most everybody, and brings in the highest class business.  

That's according to my research and recent experience, anyway. Not sure what you meant by low tier, but they're certainly not low-rent.
joiei
City Father

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 02:51:17 pm »

quote:

This is the Aloft that WAS going to be next to Hoodlum Hills Mall.  However at 136 rooms that is pretty small.  4 stories.  Must be some pretty big rooms at 4 stories.

However, it does show an interesting trend.  Hotels are popping up all around the 71st st corridor.  So is the theory, attend conferences in downtown, stay in south Tulsa?  It sorta reminds me of the "stay in the Galleria, do business downtown" concept in Houston.

according to the handy dandy calculator that comes on this computer, that would work out to 34 rooms per floor.  And that will change because the ground floor will not have that high a number.  And from reading this about the Aloft already open in Rogers , to have an Aloft open here will definitely help upgrade the level of hotel properties being built here.  A 42 inch plasma tv in the room, sure beats the ones in the motel 6.  An oversize shower spa sounds way better than the fiberglass tub in most of the ones around here.  

As for its location,  the builder has more interest in southern Tulsa than downtown.  It will definitley be an improvement over the ones next to I-44 on the west side.

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 02:56:10 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by we vs us

quote:

As someone with a brand-spanking new degree in Tulsa Hospitality-ology, I can tell you that the Renaissance is probably the swankiest hotel in Tulsa right now.  It also has the most convention space of every major property except for the Convention Center itself. It prices itself above most everybody, and brings in the highest class business.  

That's according to my research and recent experience, anyway. Not sure what you meant by low tier, but they're certainly not low-rent.

Worst beds I've ever slept in though!  Hard as a rock.  Back hurt for a week!

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 03:34:48 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by joiei

quote:

according to the handy dandy calculator that comes on this computer, that would work out to 34 rooms per floor.  And that will change because the ground floor will not have that high a number.  And from reading this about the Aloft already open in Rogers , to have an Aloft open here will definitely help upgrade the level of hotel properties being built here.  A 42 inch plasma tv in the room, sure beats the ones in the motel 6.  An oversize shower spa sounds way better than the fiberglass tub in most of the ones around here.  

As for its location,  the builder has more interest in southern Tulsa than downtown.  It will definitley be an improvement over the ones next to I-44 on the west side.

Wow, thanks for that link.  It's a W hotel, so that says a lot right there about why relatively so few rooms.  It actually compares with the Marriott concept that's going into the Atlas building downtown . . . at least in that it'll be an "urban" and "upscale" and "boutique" concept.  Looks like someone somewhere has decided that Tulsa is suddenly both "urban" and "upscale."
hoodlum
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 04:25:20 pm »

there doesn't have to be actual physical connections between the two. Conceptualy it is in the parking lot of a target in the middle of strip mall land.

After moving here from Missouri i was always intrigued as to why the renaissance hotel here was right off the on ramp at 71st in what amounts to the western parking lot of the super target when the Renaissance hotel in Missouir was lake front destination property. It was odd. It seemed and is to me no different than staying at a glorified Days Inn or Motel 8 becuase of its location alone.

thats pancakes I'm talking about.

just my observation
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org