A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:32:35 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Obama's momentum just keeps building....  (Read 5416 times)
pmcalk
City Mother
City Father

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 11:57:23 am »

And today he gets another major endorsement with Hamilton.  http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080402/ap_on_el_pr/obama_hamilton_2

Hometown
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2008, 12:17:14 pm »

I thought the MoveOn crowd would have been impressed by Murtha's endorsement of Clinton.  I guess it didn't fit with their belief system.  Murtha's opposition to the war has been critical to antiwar efforts.  Didn't hear any media discussion of his endorsement of Clinton.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2008, 12:29:50 pm »

The media protects Obama and slams Hillary.

I am just used to it by now.

Power is nothing till you use it.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2008, 12:45:47 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by RecycleMichael

The media protects Obama and slams Hillary.

I am just used to it by now.

Without commenting on the merit, an interesting question would be why?  Does he make a better story?  Is he catering to them better?  Are they burned out on the Clinton story?  Have the Clintons snubbed the media?

You assessment would be better than mine on that point.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2008, 12:52:51 pm »

I think all those reasons.

Hillary has been in the spotlight for a long time and Obama hasn't. Freshness matters in media.

Obama is also very likable. He makes great speeches. Journalists like words. He is good looking. Media like purty people, too.

That is why I do mostly radio.

rwarn17588
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2008, 01:00:05 pm »

Freshness indeed works, and it works for Obama. And to my ears, he's simply a better politician than Hillary. I get the impression that Hillary, as smart as she is, is trying to perfect her campaign style, but it's like trying to ram a square peg into a round hole. She's just not that good at it.

She's overshadowed by Bill. He was amazing in his ability to digest a ton of information, then make a concise statement that gets to the heart of the matter. Plus, he was exceptional at greeting people, kissing babies ... all the stuff politicians need to do.

She isn't.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2008, 01:19:41 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by rwarn17588

Freshness indeed works, and it works for Obama. And to my ears, he's simply a better politician than Hillary. I get the impression that Hillary, as smart as she is, is trying to perfect her campaign style, but it's like trying to ram a square peg into a round hole. She's just not that good at it.

She's overshadowed by Bill. He was amazing in his ability to digest a ton of information, then make a concise statement that gets to the heart of the matter. Plus, he was exceptional at greeting people, kissing babies ... all the stuff politicians need to do.

She isn't.

My mother gets irritated and says Hillary is still running against Bush.  Hillary's definitely had the image of the anti-Bill ever since the farce they called "travelgate".  The press made her sound like a total B.O.W.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2008, 02:03:50 pm »

quote:
Plus, he was exceptional at greeting people, kissing babies ... all the stuff politicians need to do.

I think it is important for politicians to be good at shaking hands and kissing babies.

I tried it the other way around once, but found that kissing hands and shaking babies doesn't work. The hand-kissing seems all Godfather-ish and the babies usually puke on you.

USRufnex
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2008, 08:58:49 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Hometown

There is implicit unfairness in demanding a different kind of treatment for Obama supporters versus Clinton supporters.  That is condescending towards Obama supporters.

I'm a Clinton supporter and if I am prepared to accept the outcome of the process I want Obama supporters to be good Democrats and show the same kind of spirit.  The process was set in place long before anyone knew who was going to be running.

Obama supporters you need to face what Clinton supporters already have -- your candidate really might lose.

The strange part of this argument is that the polls I've seen indicate that Obama's supporters are actually more likely to vote for Hillary Clinton if she wins than Clinton's supporters going for Obama...

The poll I looked at stated that 4 out of 5 Obama dentists surveyed would vote for Hillary in the general...
I, however... am the 5th dentist.  [Cheesy]
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_174a.html

The ONLY serious candidate in the dem primary I wouldn't vote for in the general is Hillary Clinton.  I don't like the incessant parsing in her positions... I find the very idea of a former president as politically active "first husband" to be troubling... and her two-faced campaign the past few weeks has made it impossible for me to change my mind about her.

And the ONLY serious candidate in the repub primary I would consider crossing over to vote for is John McCain.  Problem is, I'd be much more likely to support John McCain circa 2000 over John McCain's latest pander-flip-flop 2008 tour...

Most elections end up with you going into the voting booth and pulling the lever-- poking the hole in the butterfly ballot-- coloring the empty space with a No.2 pencil......... for the perceived "lesser evil."

For most voters, this year will be no different.  But if Obama wins, for me it will be "the first time I've been proud" ... to vote... (and not because of "white liberal guilt").  

For HRC supporters, I don't expect them to blindly vote for the dem party's nominee... how does blind loyalty to your political party deliver "change"???...  I just expect you to vote your conscience (if you have one)... [Wink]
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 09:05:05 pm by USRufnex » Logged
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2008, 02:34:51 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by RecycleMichael

quote:
Plus, he was exceptional at greeting people, kissing babies ... all the stuff politicians need to do.

I think it is important for politicians to be good at shaking hands and kissing babies.

I tried it the other way around once, but found that kissing hands and shaking babies doesn't work. The hand-kissing seems all Godfather-ish and the babies usually puke on you.

That Au Pair hand some trouble with it a few years back....

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org