A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:56:11 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's going to be built at 14th & Utica?  (Read 14732 times)
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2008, 06:35:45 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by waterboy

quote:
Originally posted by breitee

Anything new on this? Looks like houses are now being removed to the west.

Not only houses, but two three story brick 1920's quads that had some charm. Gone, flattened, not even a chance to rescue any hardware or cabinetry. Gotta work quick when you're raping a neighborhood. Those two quads probably provided more density than the new three story single owner lofts that are populating the area.

That demolition has been on menu for over a year....If you wanted something why didn't you ask....The house that came down next to it was a major POS.....

waterboy
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2008, 08:28:46 pm »

Who said anything about the shack next to the apartments? And who would I have asked and why would I have reason to believe they were coming down? Unlike some of you dweebs, I work 8 hours a day and still have to keep up my own home and family duties. Don't have much time to peruse filings of demolition permits that make room for infill developers. I have...or rather did have... faith that someone was watching the till. Guess not. I drive by there regularly and never saw any signs of impending doom.

When all the charming little brick apartments from the twenties are gone from the  14th-15th corridor (remember Casa Loma?) and replaced with the funky, soulless, contemporaries you ‘burbers all love so much then you can scratch your head and wonder why Cherry Street seems to be just another strip of bars and franchise restaurants surrounded by questionable construction that can be found anywhere. By then the in group will long be gone and you can reconfigure it as Brookside II.[Wink]

Note that the same type of period multi-unit apartments along Boston between 18th & 21st were converted to both office and rental while the Maple Ridge apartments on 18th were converted to condos. A much better outcome.
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2008, 10:09:17 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by waterboy

quote:
Originally posted by breitee

Anything new on this? Looks like houses are now being removed to the west.

Not only houses, but two three story brick 1920's quads that had some charm. Gone, flattened, not even a chance to rescue any hardware or cabinetry. Gotta work quick when you're raping a neighborhood. Those two quads probably provided more density than the new three story single owner lofts that are populating the area.

That's exactly how I feel about the scrape and rape rampage ravaging my beloved former hood. I've lived near Cherry Street most of my life and it makes me sick to see it losing it's charm and diversity. I stayed until I could no longer bear to watch it disappear. It's mutated into a fortified mercenary elitist enclave for materialists. It's like Tulsa's own greed green zone. Which is ironic, considering our streets look like a war zone in Iraq.

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 01:44:07 pm »

This was brought up on another thread.  Is there any kind of update on this site?
YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2013, 02:44:02 pm »

I'm not sure.   Did something happen in 2008 that may have changed the minds of someone about to embark on new construction?

dbacks fan
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2013, 03:05:11 pm »

I'm not sure.   Did something happen in 2008 that may have changed the minds of someone about to embark on new construction?

I think something happend back then, but I can't remember what it was.  Wink Didn't realise that it was that long ago. Was looking for something else on google earth and it came to mind.

Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2013, 03:26:36 pm »

I'm sure they are waiting for the right tenant... and we be thinking medical use.

There's no hurry, the lands not going anywhere.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2013, 03:28:43 pm »

Yes, the owner has said repeatedly that Utica should be a Medical Corridor. Too bad those pesky Swan Lake and York Town residents don't ageee with him or like him eating into their neighborhoods.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2013, 03:51:45 pm »

I live right by that lot.  I always thought it would be the perfect location for a hotel/mixed use office and retail.  It's a large lot, highway access, with an entertainment district attached.  I still can't comprehend why there are not hotels anywhere near Cherry Street or Utica Square while hotels are going up underneath highway onramps in South Tulsa.  How on earth is it not good business to invite people to visit and stay near our entertainment districts but to market to them beatiful views of highway onramps? 
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2013, 03:56:32 pm »

I'm sure they are waiting for the right tenant... and we be thinking medical use.

There's no hurry, the lands not going anywhere.

Great place for a "dispensary"?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dbacks fan
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2013, 04:23:48 pm »

Not a bad idea. There are some "suppliers" in Mendocino County that are looking for new "outlets" for their products.  Wink
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2013, 04:30:53 pm »

Brady district.... more appetizing for the before and after concerts.

MJ's...just waiting on Eric Holder and then the states rights gang ...states rights.....farmers need hemp to grow in the never ending drought. Just ask Mitch McKonkel...
dbacks fan
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2013, 04:39:37 pm »

They need to work on the distribution network though.......

http://www.azcentral.com/news/free/20130226mexico-cannon-used-hurl-pot-over-border-fence.html
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2013, 07:22:55 pm »

I live right by that lot.  I always thought it would be the perfect location for a hotel/mixed use office and retail.  It's a large lot, highway access, with an entertainment district attached.  I still can't comprehend why there are not hotels anywhere near Cherry Street or Utica Square ...

I agree 100%. Let's pool our resources and make this happen.

Power is nothing till you use it.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2013, 08:19:41 pm »

Someone told me in a long rant about how the powers that be killed the development but I think I got bored partway through the rant, or I just forgot.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org