A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:51:08 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 15th and Cheyenne: More parking lots to go away  (Read 30679 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2008, 12:19:06 pm »

Kevin, for my 2 cents:
# 7 neighborhood market!

While house shopping my wife and I discounted that area because there is no where other than QT to walk and get some groceries or other incidentals.  Other's might have had the same thoughts when shopping around.  But all your other ideas are useful "urban" entities also.

Thanks for taking on some risk to help bring urban design and infill to Tulsa.  I hope it pays off quickly and many such projects follow.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
bokworker
Civic Leader

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2008, 12:58:05 pm »

Kevin, I am also excited about your work here. I also live in that neighborhood in a new development by your development partner.... your project makes me feel even better about my recent decision to move to that area...

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2008, 06:43:09 pm »

I think the market needs to be in the old Safeway building on Denver as the structure is already suited to that purpose and is close to highway access and on a major arterial street.

Personally I think offices or a restaurant ( [Cheesy]lots of people work nearby in Uptown or live nearby in Riverview) or day spay are better uses.

Here is a link to the Uptown plan: Uptown Master Plan

I have to say that I am excited to see new development in a parking lot, but I think we are missing an opportunity. The views of downtown are impressive from Cheyenne, especially three or more floors up. This development doesn't take advantage of that. Also, the presentation to the street is important to me. Artist you'd be surprised by the foot traffic on Cheyenne during the day, or even people out for a walk at night or on weekends.

Still, this is better than a parking lot and the neighborhood is in support of the project.
dsjeffries
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2008, 06:50:27 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by carltonplace
I have to say that I am excited to see new development in a parking lot, but I think we are missing an opportunity. The views of downtown are impressive from Cheyenne, especially three or more floors up. This development doesn't take advantage of that. Also, the presentation to the street is important to me. Artist you'd be surprised by the foot traffic on Cheyenne during the day, or even people out for a walk at night or on weekends.

Still, this is better than a parking lot and the neighborhood is in support of the project.

You've brought up an interesting point, cp, and I totally agree... The views of downtown would be killer and, as we know, people will pay for it.
Kenosha
Philanthropist

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2008, 09:34:11 am »

I found an interior shot of the Temple...

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2008, 10:26:57 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kenosha

I found an interior shot of the Temple...

21 Jumpstreet for politsey.
Michael71
Civic Leader

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2008, 09:11:24 am »

I know I'm reviving this thread...but, has anyone heard any news on this development?  I live right around the corner & am excited about this.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why the use of this synagogue was only 14yrs (1918-'32)?  What was its use after '32?

--------------------------
"Why be part of the 'brain drain' that gets sucked out of Tulsa...The opportunity IS there, you just gotta make it!!"--Eric Marshall
dsjeffries
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2008, 01:08:01 am »

quote:
Originally posted by MichaelWayne_71

I know I'm reviving this thread...but, has anyone heard any news on this development?  I live right around the corner & am excited about this.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why the use of this synagogue was only 14yrs (1918-'32)?  What was its use after '32?

I don't really know if it counts as an update, but within the past month, they've added a sign to the exterior, so things must still be progressing.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2008, 11:34:05 am »

I like to see dense developments like this but part of me wants to see stately single family homes built along Cheyenne on those surface lots like there used to be.

Michael71
Civic Leader

« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2008, 11:51:15 am »

quote:
Originally posted by SXSW

I like to see dense developments like this but part of me wants to see stately single family homes built along Cheyenne on those surface lots like there used to be.

You mean like this?

--------------------------
"Why be part of the 'brain drain' that gets sucked out of Tulsa...The opportunity IS there, you just gotta make it!!"--Eric Marshall
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2008, 03:06:27 pm »

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by SXSW

You mean like this?

Ain't pictures like that reminding us what used to be here a severe kick in the nards?
MichaelBates
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2008, 04:06:23 pm »

quote:

According to the 1939 Sanborn map and the 1957 Polk Directory, it became the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, an offshoot of the Mormons which now goes by the name of Community of Christ.

Between the location on Cheyenne and the location near Utica Square, Temple Israel was located at the southwest corner of 16th and Rockford. After the temple moved (sometime before 1957), the building was used as a hall for Christ the King Parish. It was demolished sometime in the early '90s, I think.
T-TownMike
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2009, 04:57:19 pm »

Call me crazy, but I see the temple as a very cool bookstore/coffee shop, that possibly shows matinee movies. I could also envision Starship Records in that location.

As for the old Safeway location, I think it's primed for a future-rama type route 66 bowling alley, with some adjacent restaraunts nearby. I would do everything I could to put some entertainment draws in downtown. I also would have the city push the PBA to throw tournaments in a state of the art, brand new venue in downtown. It's also would be with walking distance from Boston Ave, which would help spur some foot traffic on the weekends.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2009, 02:59:04 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by T-TownMike

I could also envision Starship Records in that location.

Talk about a store that lost it's soul.  I set foot once in that sterile tin building with all the fluorescent lighting.  Its dead, Jim.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2009, 09:01:06 am »

Saw a teaser on KOTV about the center proposed for the Synagogue on 14th.  The story's supposed to be on this evening.

I'd love for that old building to come alive again.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org