A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:16:19 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zoning question for my land  (Read 3340 times)
osu9400
« on: February 22, 2008, 04:01:47 pm »

I live on 4+ acres within the Tulsa city limits. It is currently zoned agriculture. There is residential directly to my north. The land to the south sits on a corner, is zoned commercial, but is undeveloped.

I want to open a business on my property. This business would be light commercial (assuming I know the correct definition of light commercial). I would be required to build to support this business, but I want to build as an add-on to my house. This won't be a mini-storage or anything else that neighbors would abhor, but large groups of people would be on my property during my scheduled business events. The building would be very aesthetically pleasing.

Some questions:
1. Can I live on this property if I zone it commercial and build an add-on?
2. How are commercial tax rates calculated?
3. Do I have to zone the entire 4 acres as commercial? Or is lot splitting possible to keep half of it ag? (The problem here is that the commercial portion may land-lock the back half)
4. Anyone here try this before?

Thanks.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 04:20:59 pm »

I would employ the services of a real estate attorney if I were in your shoes.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Publius
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 11:58:45 pm »

I don't know the answers to all of your questions, but for your first one, start with the Table at this link http://www.incog.org/City%20of%20Tulsa%20Zoning%20Code/CH_07.htm
tulsa1603
Philanthropist

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 02:46:10 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by osu9400

I live on 4+ acres within the Tulsa city limits. It is currently zoned agriculture. There is residential directly to my north. The land to the south sits on a corner, is zoned commercial, but is undeveloped.

I want to open a business on my property. This business would be light commercial (assuming I know the correct definition of light commercial). I would be required to build to support this business, but I want to build as an add-on to my house. This won't be a mini-storage or anything else that neighbors would abhor, but large groups of people would be on my property during my scheduled business events. The building would be very aesthetically pleasing.

Some questions:
1. Can I live on this property if I zone it commercial and build an add-on?
2. How are commercial tax rates calculated?
3. Do I have to zone the entire 4 acres as commercial? Or is lot splitting possible to keep half of it ag? (The problem here is that the commercial portion may land-lock the back half)
4. Anyone here try this before?

Thanks.

Based on my experience, they will pooh pooh landlocking any property.  You might create an access strip along one side that is still part of the AG property.  I think you can get your property zoned R AND Commercial, but I"m not sure... my office is an old house that was used as a residence up until a few years ago, but also had commercial zoning.  What will give you headaches is putting a commercial venture and a residential venture in the same building.  Not sure how all that works.  A real estate attorney should be able to answer all of your questions.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org