A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:22:57 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NPR - Corn Ethanol worse than oil  (Read 3693 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2008, 02:59:45 pm »

Unless I've gotten bunk info, I believe you can extract ethanol from any carbohydrate source.  

The dependence on corn in U.S.-based ethanol has more to do with a farm subsidy mentality by the gov't and the ag lobby, not unlike programs in the 1980's where they were paying corn farmers not to plant corn, because there was an over-abundance.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dggriffi
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2008, 03:03:43 pm »

i think that is correct.   But that mentality has held out long enough that we have discovered about using other sources.
si_uk_lon_ok
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 02:45:47 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

Unless I've gotten bunk info, I believe you can extract ethanol from any carbohydrate source.  

The dependence on corn in U.S.-based ethanol has more to do with a farm subsidy mentality by the gov't and the ag lobby, not unlike programs in the 1980's where they were paying corn farmers not to plant corn, because there was an over-abundance.

That’s very true and many other sources are much better at producing ethanol than corn. The sugar cane used in Brazil for instance produces ten times more energy per acre of land than corn. It makes much more sense in the move to ethanol to let countries with the right climate produce the ethanol, then we sell them the food that they would have grown on the land.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 02:43:23 pm »

it's never good to use a food item as a fuel source. This corn oil is bad all around since it gives you less power and you get less "bang for the buck" if your car gets 20 miles per gallon on pure gasoline, using corn oil mixed it your miles will drop to something like 18 per gallon. It really ends up costing you more. The price of the two are not that far apart, and gasoline gives you more miles and power..

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org