A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:17:17 am
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mayor vs Henderson, Round 1  (Read 6092 times)
TulsaSooner
« on: February 05, 2008, 07:01:40 pm »

Didn't see this posted elsewhere.  Pretty good public exchange you don't hear about every day.  This, along with the pay raise for Councilors whining, doesn't put Councilor Henderson in a great light IMO.

Tulsa Mayor And City Council Trade Jabs Over New Building Concepts

The home of city government in Tulsa is moving to a newer, nicer building.
One city councilor believes the council might not have the kind of offices they deserve.

The home of city government in Tulsa is moving to a newer, nicer building. But, as The News On 6's Emory Bryan reports, one city councilor believes the council might not have the kind of offices they deserve.

Councilor Jack Henderson has concerns about parking and access for the public and worries the council offices won't be as nice as what the mayor might get, though the mayor says that's not true.

In reviewing the cost of moving into a new city hall building, Mayor Kathy Taylor called Councilor Jack Henderson on the carpet for saying she is not answering his questions.

"You have intimated that I have refused to meet with you and provide you with information. Let me remind you. I met with you on December 5th at 1 pm for 2 hours and you advised me of your priority for that building and let me quote from my notes; ‘I voted to put you in that glass building and I deserve whatever kind of office I want.'  That is my goal, Councilor Henderson, that you can get in the office you want," said Tulsa Mayor Kathy Taylor.

The terse exchange came during a city council meeting about the One Technology Center, which will be Tulsa's new city hall. Henderson thought the plans for the new building gave the mayor a better looking office than the council.

"One drawing showed the mayor's name in gold and the council's name in black and her elevators on the 15th floor were surrounded by wood and wood grain and ours were just plain old elevators," said Councilor Jack Henderson with the Tulsa City Council.

Drawings show a concept, not a plan, of how the council offices might appear in the new building. It's already much nicer than the current city hall and the mayor wants to make as few changes as possible to it to save money. But, she reminded the council if they want to make it nicer than it already is they're free to do that.

"It's not a high priority to me, if it is to the councilors, they have ultimate budget control and they can make the decision to spend the funds to have whatever finishes and offices they request," said Mayor Taylor.

Henderson said he just thinks the mayor and council should have similar accommodations. In the meeting, the mayor announced the top two floors in the building, which are deluxe offices, will likely be leased out to a company that has made the city an offer to take that extra space the city doesn't need.

http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=7827591
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 07:18:55 pm »

But,

I thought Jack and Roscoe were working day and night on a grocery store for Pine and Peoria??

Instead Jack's worrying about the quality of the woodgrain in the elevator lobby outside his office???
inteller
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 07:20:59 pm »

that was the best thing I have seen on TV in a LONG time.  Yay for someone putting Krazy Kathy in her place.  I haven't seen that ***** so pissed off since Channel 2 was chasing her around with a mic.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 09:11:02 pm »

I think Henderson's lost his mind.  Give the councilors a friggin' broom closet, it's a part time job, right?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 11:00:24 pm »

Anybody got a link to the TGOV video of the UEDC meeting?

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
FOTD
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 11:26:36 pm »

Government buildings are so 20th century.

My conservative side sez, "reduce the size of the city government until it will drown in a detention pond."
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 12:05:18 am »

quote:
Originally posted by FOTD

Government buildings are so 20th century.

My conservative side sez, "reduce the size of the city government until it will drown in a detention pond."

I might just be the first person from this forum to buy you a drink if you could pull that off.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 07:06:28 am »

From that story, I call this one for the mayor. One person draws a drawing and the city council sign used black letters...

WAAAAAAAaaaa WAAAAAAaaaa
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 07:27:44 am »

I am sure the council offices will be much better in the new building than they have now.

I am in favor of using gold paint to paint their name on the door.

Power is nothing till you use it.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 09:20:26 am »

If a company wants to lease out the 14th and 15th floors then I think that money for the city takes precidence over what floor the councilors end up on. Whining to the mayor that she promised them "the councilors" the 15th floor is absurd. The city needs to get businesses to rent out part of that building, and if they want the 14th and 15th floors,,, so be it.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
TulsaSooner
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 09:34:27 am »

Yeah, I'm chaling this one up to the Mayor as well.  Henderson looks like a complete idiot making this argument IMO.  Completely ridiculous, especially after whining about a pay raise too.

And this is the first I've heard about a company leasing the 14th and 15th floors.  That would leave the city about what.....4 or 5 actual office floors?
breitee
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 02:12:51 pm »

Henderson IS a complete idiot.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 02:19:21 pm »

I think he might huff some gold paint in his office.....

Wilbur
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 04:01:33 pm »

If Henderson thinks his office is bad, he should see mine.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2008, 04:29:24 pm »

What a tool.  I read that and was appalled by the very notion.  Not only that he demanded a better office, but that the his defense was that all he wanted was for his office to be the same as the mayors.

Anyone know how a Senator's office stacks up to the Oval Office?  Or how a state legislature looks compared to the Governors?  I'm pretty sure the executive head has the nicest executive office at all levels of government as well as in the business world.

What a fool.  Maybe such elected dolts are the reason some parts of our city remain sub-par.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org