A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:22:58 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Wal Mart Neighborhood Grocer?  (Read 9309 times)
FOTD
« on: February 04, 2008, 12:16:46 pm »

101st and Elm?

Hmmmmm???
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 12:44:57 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by FOTD

101st and Elm?

Hmmmmm???

Which Elm? Jenks or Broken Arrow?

One has been rumored for years at 111th and Elm in Jenks but never has been built.

There is a ton of newly cleared land at 101st and Elm in Jenks and the only things that I know of that are going in there are a bank and a tunnel car wash and it's far too big a site for just those two things. It would be a good site for a grocery store (even better if it wasn't a Wal-Mart). Reasor's is just a block down Elm and is so busy that at times (yesterday before the Superbowl for one) that you have to wait for parking spaces to open up, the lot is totally full.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 01:17:42 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

Broken Arrow sure loves them some wal-marts.

I still have not sworn off the neighborhood market entirely, but I think I've sufficiently weaned myself off Wal-Mart after my last visit to Admiral & Memorial.  Just flat scary.

I wonder if they make a version of Chantix for discount store shoppers to help get them off it for good?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
FOTD
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 02:25:09 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by swake

quote:

101st and Elm?

Hmmmmm???

Which Elm? Jenks or Broken Arrow?

One has been rumored for years at 111th and Elm in Jenks but never has been built.

There is a ton of newly cleared land at 101st and Elm in Jenks and the only things that I know of that are going in there are a bank and a tunnel car wash and it's far too big a site for just those two things. It would be a good site for a grocery store (even better if it wasn't a Wal-Mart). Reasor's is just a block down Elm and is so busy that at times (yesterday before the Superbowl for one) that you have to wait for parking spaces to open up, the lot is totally full.

Jinx...sorry for the confusion.

Jenks Council Hints at New Development
Tulsa Business Staff
1/21/2008

Recent action taken by Jenks City Council to acknowledge intentions to develop Elm Street into a three-lane roadway could mean a 60,000-SF retail business is planning to come to town.
The council went on record stating city intentions to improve 101st Street between the Jenks Levee and Elm Street to a three-laned roadway “upon the issuance of a building permit for a retail building of at least 60,000 SF at 450 South Elm.”
The council instructed City Manager Mike Tinker to notify Jeffrey M. Clayton of JMC Realty Inc., that the roadway and related improvements would be complimentary to the development’s site plan and adjacent properties.
No one at the city level is identifying what retailer or retailers are contemplating building at the site.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 07:32:44 am »

quote:
Jinx...sorry for the confusion.

Jenks Council Hints at New Development
Tulsa Business Staff
1/21/2008

Recent action taken by Jenks City Council to acknowledge intentions to develop Elm Street into a three-lane roadway could mean a 60,000-SF retail business is planning to come to town.
The council went on record stating city intentions to improve 101st Street between the Jenks Levee and Elm Street to a three-laned roadway “upon the issuance of a building permit for a retail building of at least 60,000 SF at 450 South Elm.”
The council instructed City Manager Mike Tinker to notify Jeffrey M. Clayton of JMC Realty Inc., that the roadway and related improvements would be complimentary to the development’s site plan and adjacent properties.
No one at the city level is identifying what retailer or retailers are contemplating building at the site.
Throwdown.  that's mighty close to Reasor's
ARGUS
Civic Leader

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 10:49:26 am »

Hey want some low-life types in your neighborhood? GET a Wal-Mart Market and they will flock there! The one at 45th and peoria sucks! SUCKS! Panhandlers, etc. Watch and learn.

BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 12:00:58 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by ARGUS

Hey want some low-life types in your neighborhood? GET a Wal-Mart Market and they will flock there! The one at 45th and peoria sucks! SUCKS! Panhandlers, etc. Watch and learn.
No such issue at 21st & Yale, 81st & Sheridan, or 96th and Delaware.
¿Perhaps they throw out the welcome wagon for you?
safetyguy
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 01:05:50 pm »

I don't understand why they would be there since they have one @ 96th & Delaware and the new SuperCenter going up in Glenpool.

I'm sure it's just like any other Wal-mart they are trying to run Reasors out of Jenks.

101st and Elm has already been widened. Are they not talking 111th and Elm near the Kum & Go?

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 01:35:17 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by safetyguy

I don't understand why they would be there since they have one @ 96th & Delaware and the new SuperCenter going up in Glenpool.

I'm sure it's just like any other Wal-mart they are trying to run Reasors out of Jenks.

101st and Elm has already been widened. Are they not talking 111th and Elm near the Kum & Go?

They are talking about widening 101st from Elm over to near Parkwest.
Steve
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 12:00:04 pm »

I have often wondered how the opening of the Wal Mart grocery at 21st & Yale has affected the business at Reasor's, just across the intersection.  My guess is very little.  I live just 4 blocks southeast of the Wal Mart and I don't think I have seen more than 20 cars in the Wal Mart parking lot at one time since it opened, except maybe right before a holiday.

My grocery business and $ still goes to Reasor's.  I am in there several times a week and it seems as busy as ever, in spite of the Wal Mart presence across the street.
buckeye
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 01:45:37 am »

The 21st & Yale location certainly has a trashier feel inside than Reasor's, that's for sure.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 10:28:05 am »

quote:
Originally posted by buckeye

The 21st & Yale location certainly has a trashier feel inside than Reasor's, that's for sure.

That's a big shopping center. There's a book store there and I believe even a Circuit City. Reasor's is just one little clog in the  wheel. It'll work out Ok.[:O]

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 10:44:20 am »

quote:
Originally posted by sauerkraut

quote:

That's a big shopping center. There's a book store there and I believe even a Circuit City. Reasor's is just one little clog in the  wheel. It'll work out Ok.[:O]

I think you're two miles off. Barnes and Noble and Circuit City are by the mall at 41st.
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 03:22:41 pm »

I wish Tulsa would have a "Meijers" store, they are big food stores and have a full selection of everything discounted. They only seem to only market in the mid-west area Ohio, Indiana, Michigan and Ill. They are open 24 hours and carry brands and foods that Wal-Mart does not carry. I guess the stores have web sites too. Another store I like alot is the HY-Vee stores but they seem to only market in the Omaha/Iowa area. Hy-Vee has a very good bakery with fresh baked goods and hot foods for carry out, they sell baked potatos, corn, chicken, mashed potatos and the like all piping hot and ready to take home or to your work place or just as a snack. HyVee donuts are really good. They bake them fresh in the store bakery and don't bring them in from some frozen donut warehouse in some far off place.Tulsa does not seem to have much in food stores. Reasors seems to be the best place for food. The others are just waehouse food marts or Wal-Mart foods. I don't like paying sales tax on food, most states do not tax food items.

sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2008, 03:26:55 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

quote:
Originally posted by sauerkraut

quote:

I think you're two miles off. Barnes and Noble and Circuit City are by the mall at 41st.

Your right-opps. The place at 21st and Yale is the Sears, Target and Reasors and a restaurant out in front of the Reasors. The state Fair is across the street.. The Reasor's stores always seem to have a cop security guard on patrol inside the store. I was way off base.. My bad.[B)]

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org