A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:32:24 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why YOUR kids are way too FAT  (Read 3275 times)
tulsasignnazi
« on: January 21, 2008, 02:25:45 pm »

By NORA FROESCHLE World Staff Writer
1/21/2008

In most districts, it's part of the class day only in grade school.

Despite a growing awareness of childhood obesity, Oklahoma public schools' physical education requirements are minimal.

The state mandates physical education in kindergarten through fifth grade, but not in middle and high school.

Paula Kun, a spokeswoman for the National Association for Sport and Physical Education, said her organization issued a 2006 study, "Shape of the Nation," that found that one-third of U.S. high school students do not engage in regular physical activity.

"The great majority of high school students are taking physical education only one out of the four years," Kun said.

The U.S. military is one group that has to deal directly with the effects of overweight, unfit kids, she said.

"We have gotten many a call from the military personnel telling us about the horrendous shape the recruits are in," she said.

The association recommends 60 minutes of physical activity every day for school-age youths.

Kun said media interest in childhood obesity isn't lacking, but the attention has yet to
translate into policy.

"We're getting to the point now where it's like, OK, this is the story, so what is being done?" she said. "The key is in terms of who's sup porting it. We need parents, because if parents want it, schools find a way to get it."

Educators say that the problem is fitting PE into the school day, given the state-mandated core curriculum, which does not include physical education.

Kent Holbrook, the superintendent of Liberty Public Schools, said the district does not require physical education in high school, but that personnel have discussed adding a general physical education class.

"We have a seven-period day just to fit in all of our offerings. . . . You have the pressure to get the academics in," he said.

Brian Tinker, a physical education teacher and coach at Liberty, said he believed that PE doesn't receive proper attention at many schools even when it is offered.

"I definitely think PE is treated as an extra recess," he said.

Tinker's fifth- and sixth-grade PE classes at Liberty do calisthenics, something many students were not used to doing before he was hired for the 2007-08 school year, he said.

"I did have a lot of complaints from parents saying things like, 'You're too hard on my kid,' and we weren't really even doing, like, heavy exercise," he said.

Shelly Hickman, a spokeswoman for the Oklahoma State Department of Education, said that because state law doesn't require physical education for secondary students, districts can decide whether they want to add it to the curriculum.

"It hasn't been the practice to require physical education at the secondary level. We felt it was best to be a local decision," she said. "Because obviously, childhood and adolescent obesity is a problem in Oklahoma and nationwide."

Hickman noted that some secondary-school students are in competitive sports and said a required PE class would be unnecessary for them.

Illinois is possibly the only state that requires daily PE in kindergarten through 12th grade.

Kun said that although Illinois' PE requirement looks good on paper, up to 350 of its districts have sought state waivers on the requirement.

Hickman said that not all states have Oklahoma's rigorous graduation requirements, which make it more difficult to fit PE into the schedule.

"We may require some things on the academic side that they (Illinois) don't require," she said.

Hickman said a broad coali tion of organizations, including the Oklahoma Fit Kids Coalition, are working to improve fitness for the state's children, beyond what the public schools are able to do.

"The goal of all of these groups seems to be to instill good fitness and eating habits at an early age," she said. "If you instill healthy habits at a young age, those habits are going to carry over whether their high school has a requirement or not."

Debbie Burchfield, the assistant superintendent for curriculum and student programs at Jenks Public Schools, said the district offers PE, but it is not mandatory.

" 'College preparatory' implies that we are complying with what colleges are telling us they expect kids to have learned. Nowhere do they mention PE or physical fitness," she said.

However, at least a third if not half of the students at Jenks Middle School take physical education, Burchfield said.

"There's no one who disagrees with the idea of children being physically fit, and there's no one that disagrees that we have an obesity epidemic," she said.

Requiring physical education would only be one part of the fix, but children still need parental involvement to instill good nutrition and fitness habits, she said.

Nora Froeschle 581-8310
nora.froeschle@tulsaworld.com

STUDENT SLOTH

A 2005 youth risk behavior survey conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention indicates that among Oklahoma high school students:

15 percent are overweight

16 percent are at risk of becoming overweight

62 percent did not meet currently recommended levels of physical activity

12 percent had not participated in any vigorous or moderate physical activity during a seven-day period

64 percent did not attend physical education classes
TeeDub
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 02:26:59 pm »

Cliff notes:

Because you feed them too much.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 02:31:41 pm »

I didnt take gym classes after middle school. Didnt get a whole lot of exercise in the gym classes in middle school for that matter. We just ate right at home. No snacks, no sweets, cakes, cookies, except on holidays or special occasions, no sodas ever.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
inteller
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 03:33:31 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist

I didnt take gym classes after middle school. Didnt get a whole lot of exercise in the gym classes in middle school for that matter. We just ate right at home. No snacks, no sweets, cakes, cookies, except on holidays or special occasions, no sodas ever.

some of your compatriots could use your advice/diet.
Steve
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 11:56:27 am »

When I attended Tulsa Public Schools in the '60s & '70s (graduated 1975), all students were required to take PE class through the 10th grade, and then PE was optional for 11th & 12th.  Is this not still the case in TPS?  It should be.

Of course there are many other factors contributing to childhood obesity today.  There were no soda/snack machines in the halls of the schools when I was young.  If you were thirsty, you went to the water fountain.  Eating/drinking in the classroom was prohibited.  You ate during the lunch period and at home.  95% of the food in the schools was all prepared fresh in-house, not high fat catered junk from fast food chains.  (Although we loved to complain, it really was pretty good.)  You walked or biked to school; very few kids had their own cars, and most kids then had little discretionary money to waste on things like sodas and junk food.
brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 04:32:08 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Steve

When I attended Tulsa Public Schools in the '60s & '70s (graduated 1975), all students were required to take PE class through the 10th grade, and then PE was optional for 11th & 12th.  Is this not still the case in TPS?  It should be.

Of course there are many other factors contributing to childhood obesity today.  There were no soda/snack machines in the halls of the schools when I was young.  If you were thirsty, you went to the water fountain.  Eating/drinking in the classroom was prohibited.  You ate during the lunch period and at home.  95% of the food in the schools was all prepared fresh in-house, not high fat catered junk from fast food chains.  (Although we loved to complain, it really was pretty good.)  You walked or biked to school; very few kids had their own cars, and most kids then had little discretionary money to waste on things like sodas and junk food.

due to budget constraints, most school districts began eliminating it in the late 80s...
very few, nationwide, have it daily...

"It costs a fortune to look this trashy..."
"Don't believe in riches but you should see where I live..."

http://www.stopabductions.com/
Shavethewhales
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 08:45:37 pm »

This is absolutely the largest pile of crap I've heard of today.

The reason YOUR kids are FAT is because big gov isn't forcing them to take part in a weak daily work-out? I think not. The reason YOUR kids are FAT is because they haven't been taught good dietary and fitness methods.

Don't try to throw in vending machines and less healthy cafeteria food options into this either - kids will eat what they want sooner or later; you can only control the way they eat for so long.

Seriously, school P.E. classes are good only up until about 8th grade, and after that they should only be optional. I cringe at the thought of my kids being forced to give up any of their academics to run around a gym for an hour when they are already perfectly healthy.
si_uk_lon_ok
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 01:56:14 am »

How about getting all the porky kids to use one of these during lessons?

quote:
Seriously, school P.E. classes are good only up until about 8th grade, and after that they should only be optional. I cringe at the thought of my kids being forced to give up any of their academics to run around a gym for an hour when they are already perfectly healthy.

I don't have a problem with sport in school even if it wasn't optional. What would really get my goat would be the money that is spent on sporting equipment, coaches and huge venues for school sports teams.
spoonbill
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 06:47:35 am »

Hmm!  Just a theory.  When I was young I came home from school, put on my jeans and went outside with my friends to hike through the woods, or play football in my neighbor's back yard, or go down to the pond to fish and shoot frogs with my BB gun.

Every evening we hung from trees, got cuts, bruises, and ruined cloths (to my mom's dismay).

We also ate like horses.  Hamburger Helper, meat-loaf, tuna-fish casserole, tater-tots and lots of whole milk for dinners.

TODAY, the kids get home, and sit around the PlayStation.  If they do go out around the neighborhood, they are walking around texting other kids that are either at home on the PlayStation or texting.

When they do play, no parent will let them play football in their yard (liability).  People panic if they see a 10 year old 35 feet up in a maple tree (where my favorite limb used to be).  Neighborhood ponds are fenced to avoid drowning.  Any kid walking around the neighborhood with his Red-Rider BB gun will have the police called on him and arrested.

30 minutes at school, cannot make up for a lifetime of active play.  It's not the free government school's fault.  Stop trying to rely on them to raise, educate, exercise, and morally develop your kids!  They have absolutely no capacity to do that.  They are a government entity beholden to a vicious union.  Almost $9,000 per student and growing.  The union will insure that that number increases and there is never a reform.

Sell a kidney, move into a smaller house, or take an extra job.  If you care about your child reaching his/her true potential, never let them set foot in a public school.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org