A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:44:58 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: They're saying 4-6 inches now  (Read 7106 times)
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 12:59:37 pm »

Sutherlands sells tubes of sand that work well. They can be put right on top of the wheel wells.

60 pound bags are $3.

Power is nothing till you use it.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2008, 01:02:08 pm »

I use the tubesand.

I'm currently carrying 300# of sand and 60# of melt.
jne
Philanthropist

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2008, 01:09:41 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by RecycleMichael

Sutherlands sells tubes of sand that work well. They can be put right on top of the wheel wells.

60 pound bags are $3.

They also have tube sand at Midtown Hardware for cheap.  Best, on Peoria should have it too.

Vote for the two party system!
-one one Friday and one on Saturday.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2008, 01:23:52 pm »

If you know how to feather the throttle, you don't need sand. [Wink]

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Aqxea
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2008, 01:28:02 pm »

quote:

60 pound bags are $3.

60lb bags @ $3/each.  That's definitely within my price range.  Thanks for the info.  I'm going to try the Home Depot downtown first since it's right down the street.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2008, 01:32:16 pm »

You want the tubes if possible. They are packaged to stay dry.

I have two over each wheel well and one opened in a garbage bag with a coffee mug near the back.

If I get stuck anywhere, three scoops of sand under each wheel improves traction quickly.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2008, 02:01:08 pm »

FYI weight really doesn't help on ice.  It helps in snow (push through it and/or down to the road) and it helps for traction - but please don't think because you have 10,000 lbs over your wheels that you can drive OK on ice.

Anything less than 4" of snow and my front wheel drive Nissan will have no problems (4+ and I can end up snow plowing).  No traction control, no anti-lock brakes, no sand in the trunk - just good ole' fashioned experience and caution driving on crappy roads.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2008, 02:14:46 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

I'm worried about more man-made weather phenomena.

The local weather people have been saying we will have more snow north of I-44 and less south.

I think we must be damming weather to the north with I-44 which is unfair to both sides and causing unequal distribution.

How about we yank out I-44, and make all transient traffic drive right through the center of town down 51st St.

That way those north of I-44 won't get all the snow trapped on their side and we can share more equally with those living to the south.

They seem to have the same problem with I-40 as well.

LOL, Ive found the I-44 dividing line particularly annoying since I've lived within half a mile of I-44 for 16 years.

Aqxea
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2008, 02:21:22 pm »

quote:

You want the tubes if possible. They are packaged to stay dry.

I have two over each wheel well and one opened in a garbage bag with a coffee mug near the back.

If I get stuck anywhere, three scoops of sand under each wheel improves traction quickly.

Thanks, I bought 6 x 60lb tubes @ 2.97 each.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2008, 02:24:07 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Aqxea

Don't leave them in your vehicle after winter. 360 pounds of extra weight is about one mile per gallon increased fuel consumption.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2008, 02:52:36 pm »

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Aqxea

Don't leave them in your vehicle after winter. 360 pounds of extra weight is about one mile per gallon increased fuel consumption.

I'm staying in double digits so far.
charky
Civic Leader

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2008, 05:08:42 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

I'm worried about more man-made weather phenomena.

The local weather people have been saying we will have more snow north of I-44 and less south.

I think we must be damming weather to the north with I-44 which is unfair to both sides and causing unequal distribution.

How about we yank out I-44, and make all transient traffic drive right through the center of town down 51st St.

That way those north of I-44 won't get all the snow trapped on their side and we can share more equally with those living to the south.

They seem to have the same problem with I-40 as well.

Heh...I've been a meteorologist here in Tulsa for 14 years...and yeah...those dividing lines are frequently used (mainly as a geographical reference point).

And while it somewhat coincidental...its amazing how often the heavier snows remain just north of I-44.

Today's snow is a perfect case. An inch or two in Tulsa...6-10" in Osage...Washington and Nowata counties.

Sorry for the missed snow forecast for Tulsa. I worked last night and it was looking good. The upper circulation ended up tracking just a bit farther north than we anticipated...thus the heaviest snow remained north of the Tulsa metro.

It's an incredibly difficult job.

TulsaFan-inTexas
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2008, 06:41:37 pm »

Take some pics for us folks down here in Tejas. We have forgotten what snow, or even ice, looks like.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org