A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:06:59 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: new hotel in the works??  (Read 7577 times)
Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2007, 12:56:08 pm »

Those people are misinformed.

Give me a hotel by Utica Square and I'll stay in it every time I'm in town.
inteller
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2007, 01:07:49 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Floyd

and pay out the donkey.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2007, 01:12:57 pm »

Basically my prorblem is two fold:

1) Any visitor to TU (I advise several travelers coming to their away games at Tulsa + students visiting) have to stay downtown.   AND no hotels downtown are really near entertainment except the Adams Mark.  

2) I live near 31st and Harvard.  No where close for my company to stay.  Seems strange in the middle of the city.

AND... while I'm at it, why no hotels near any entertainment areas?  The Brady, Blue Dome, Cherry Street, Brookside... no hotels.  What gives?  Often travelers look for hotels near a bar district so they can go out and just stagger back to the hotel - you pretty much can not do that in Tulsa.  Which sucks.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
inteller
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2007, 01:18:52 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

Basically my prorblem is two fold:

1) Any visitor to TU (I advise several travelers coming to their away games at Tulsa + students visiting) have to stay downtown.   AND no hotels downtown are really near entertainment except the Adams Mark.  

2) I live near 31st and Harvard.  No where close for my company to stay.  Seems strange in the middle of the city.

AND... while I'm at it, why no hotels near any entertainment areas?  The Brady, Blue Dome, Cherry Street, Brookside... no hotels.  What gives?  Often travelers look for hotels near a bar district so they can go out and just stagger back to the hotel - you pretty much can not do that in Tulsa.  Which sucks.

holy **** dude....when was the last time you were actually downtown.....it hasn't been the Adams Mark FOR YEARS.
Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2007, 05:17:51 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

quote:
Originally posted by Floyd

and pay out the donkey.

It's still Tulsa.  It's not like a hotel near the nice part of town would be a Ritz or a Mandarin or even a Hilton.  Just give me a nice pleasant Marriott near shops and dining.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2007, 09:26:03 pm »

I know, a nice hotel right there by Utica Square where the Helmerich and Payne building was... It would be THE place I would tell people to stay. It could definitely be a place that would impress people. Smack dab in the most beautiful part of the city. All north facing rooms would have a stunning view of downtown. You could walk to dining and shopping if you wanted, near Philbrook,Cherry Street, all the historic stuff. People with friends or loved ones at the hospitals in the area would have a place closeby. Brookside, Downtown, the Fairgrounds are nearby. It would have its own park behind it, aka Swan Lake. Stick a snazzy rooftop/bar on top with that view, in that area.... It would be knockout.

Are the developers in this town daft to not see the potential there? And your right, they probably could charge a fortune (in Tulsa standards) for the rooms there.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Rico
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2007, 10:18:02 pm »

^^^

And you are just as sure that COHN will sign on to this project..?

If so give Walt a call..

Heck.. go visit with him... He's a nice enough fellow.

YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2008, 02:06:34 am »

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist

I know, a nice hotel right there by Utica Square where the Helmerich and Payne building was... It would be THE place I would tell people to stay. It could definitely be a place that would impress people. Smack dab in the most beautiful part of the city. All north facing rooms would have a stunning view of downtown. You could walk to dining and shopping if you wanted, near Philbrook,Cherry Street, all the historic stuff. People with friends or loved ones at the hospitals in the area would have a place closeby. Brookside, Downtown, the Fairgrounds are nearby. It would have its own park behind it, aka Swan Lake. Stick a snazzy rooftop/bar on top with that view, in that area.... It would be knockout.

Are the developers in this town daft to not see the potential there? And your right, they probably could charge a fortune (in Tulsa standards) for the rooms there.

I suppose the Swan neighborhood could protest if someone did propose to build a hotel there?  I need no reason why that prime piece of land sits unused.  Baffling, really.  Utica Place actually had to level an apartment complex to build.  This is just unused land with the best location in town.  I guess I could see how there could be neighborhood pressures against having tourists/visitors congregating in their backyards.  Still, I think it would be a benefit for all of Tulsa.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2008, 09:51:28 am »

I have no idea why COHN or the neighbors would be against the idea. There had already been a large, and quite ugly, building there for years. Replacing it with something beautiful and tasteful shouldnt be cause for concern. Would certainly beat what was there, and what is there now. I really dont think Swan Lake would be swarming with tourists, just perhaps the occasional person out for a stroll. It used to have lots of people visit back in the day for picnics, rowing in little boats, etc. So actually having more people in the area would be more "historically accurate" as concerning the COHN people anyway lol. But again, not gonna actually happen.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Rico
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2008, 10:46:10 am »

"But again, not gonna actually happen."<The Artist.

I thought this was the sort of an attitude that you filed as being one of the problems with Tulsa..?

Heck.... Talk to Walt... Talk with the Davis'..

An articulate person, such as yourself, might show them how they can turn "wasteland" into money and a living memorial to things they have done for the city..

All of these individuals are not against development. They just like it done tastefully, with room for profit.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2008, 12:56:18 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Rico

I thought this was the sort of an attitude that you filed as being one of the problems with Tulsa..?

An articulate person, such as yourself, might show them how they can turn "wasteland" into money and a living memorial to things they have done for the city..

All of these individuals are not against development. They just like it done tastefully, with room for profit.

I was talking about the " tourists swarming all over Swan Lake" thing as what was "not gonna happen".

I suppose it wouldnt hurt to throw an idea out to someone. I will scribble up a sketch one evening with some thoughts and put it out here for you all to tear down, I mean, to give constructive criticism to. [Tongue]

Rico
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2008, 04:38:56 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist

quote:
Originally posted by Rico

I was talking about the " tourists swarming all over Swan Lake" thing as what was "not gonna happen".

I suppose it wouldnt hurt to throw an idea out to someone. I will scribble up a sketch one evening with some thoughts and put it out here for you all to tear down, I mean, to give constructive criticism to. [Tongue]

That in poker would be called showing your hand......

If you are serious... Put something together and "deal directly" don't allow the Tulsa Noise filter to make it into something it is not..

Besides... I doubt Walt or the others are much into reading Tulsa Now.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org