A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:20:08 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: &#$% your 'urban canopy'!  (Read 11916 times)
inteller
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2007, 12:07:01 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by T-Town Now

The power lines should have been buried a long time ago. I see with all the street widening projects going on around town, they still aren't burying the lines. Seems the expense to do so at that time would be minimal to PSO.

yes it is pretty hard to argue that it costs more to bury when there is an open ditch waiting for you.  the city should simply mandate it.
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2007, 12:13:19 pm »

There is unrest in the forest
There is trouble with the trees
For the maples want more sunlight
And the oaks ignore their pleas

The trouble with the maples
(And they're quite convinced they're right)
They say the oaks are just too lofty
And they grab up all the light
But the oaks can't help their feelings
If they like the way they're made
And they wonder why the maples
Can't be happy in their shade

There is trouble in the forest
And the creatures all have fled
As the maples scream 'Oppression!'
And the oaks just shake their heads

So the maples formed a union
And demanded equal rights
'The oaks are just too greedy
We will make them give us light'
Now there's no more oak oppression
For they passed a noble law
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw
dsjeffries
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2007, 12:44:36 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by tim huntzinger

Mayor Taylor was in cahoots with the trees I tell you! This will help her when she runs for President!!

DScott, you get any good pics of the mess?

Yeah, I posted several of them under the Weather report... ice in Tulsa? thread.

There are about 90 of them on my Flickr,
and four of them are on the Tulsa World Slideshow (#7, 8, 26, 27).
Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2007, 12:49:40 pm »

quote:

They just stand around, looking allllll innocent, then WHAM when you least expect it, they strike!

Maples getting all ugly when they get old, pecans cantankerous, and do not get me started on the Bradford Pear weeds . . .

You know, you're absolutely right.  Come to think of it, I was constantly harassed by a magnolia growing up, but no one believed me.  It would just stand there swaying, looking all innocent, and then laugh at me when no one else was around.
spoonbill
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2007, 01:01:53 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Floyd

quote:

They just stand around, looking allllll innocent, then WHAM when you least expect it, they strike!

Maples getting all ugly when they get old, pecans cantankerous, and do not get me started on the Bradford Pear weeds . . .

You know, you're absolutely right.  Come to think of it, I was constantly harassed by a magnolia growing up, but no one believed me.  It would just stand there swaying, looking all innocent, and then laugh at me when no one else was around.

Come on FLOYD. . . now show us, on the doll, where the bad tree touched you?
Chicken Little
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2007, 03:35:08 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by wavoka

There is unrest in the forest...
Of Salemen!
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2007, 04:11:21 pm »

I keep my trees very well trimmed.  Nonetheless, I sit without power at my house.  Likewise, we have no real trees near my office... but no power (in this instance the poles broke off in a domino manner).

At my buddies house he got a notice 6+ months ago that they were going to "trim" a soft maple with a line running in the middle of it... he said just take it out.  It was still standing as of Saturday, and now is lying on his roof with the snapped line pinned under it.

Above ground lines in Oklahoma seemed like a good idea?

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
inteller
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2007, 07:24:11 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Chicken Little

quote:
Originally posted by wavoka

There is unrest in the forest...
Of Salemen!

Saruman...sheesh...get your ears checked.
greywolf45
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2007, 05:05:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Chicken Little

quote:

Floyd, it is troubling that Tulsans have left these killer trees unmolested for so long.  What, two years ago two folk were killed in separate accidents by TREES.  And what do they do for us? Just wave their stupid leaves for a few months, then clog our storm drains, falling granches on the chillllldren.

TREES.  What are they good for? Absolutely nothing!

Maybe it's not the trees that need molesting, maybe it's PSO.  Bury the lines.

AEP-PSO, bury the power lines?That would be the miracle of miracles.
sledbet
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2007, 01:28:17 pm »

Ditto on the buried lines, we've got 'em but we're w/o power. They do no good if farther up the line is above ground. Basically they just make the neighborhood look nicer.
Call me a tree-hugger but AEP butchers the trees, I wouldn't call it trimming them. They're no arborists that's for sure. Afterward the trees look horrendous...a whole side taken out...a visual blight on the neighborhood. If their gonna do that to the trees why don't they just take them out?
OurTulsa
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2007, 01:54:28 pm »

I'm wondering if MapleRidgers are reconsidering their win vs. PSO to 'stop the box'.  Granted the lines would not have been under in time to help them in this event.  That area is shaping up to be one of the last urban areas to get power back up.  

I'm with you guys...lines should be buried as part of a program with street improvements.  I'm willing to pay a little extra in rates to help bury lines in this city.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2007, 03:20:53 pm »

Bruce Plante finally made a funny:

Tulsa World Editorial Cartoon

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Steve
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2007, 01:01:16 pm »

I live on 26th St. just east of Yale; it is as bad here as in any other part of town.  I don't blame the trees as much as I do lazy, cheap property owners that think trees never need maintenance or pruning.

My roof and property was littered with fallen debris, all from the trees located on neighbors' property, not my own.  I keep my trees well pruned, dead wood removed, and healthy and I only had one large branch break off an ash tree of my own.  Over the past 20 years, I have had a large redbud, mulberry, mimosa, ash, & magnolia all removed from my property at my own expense, simply because common sense told me that their size and locations made them disasters just waiting to happen.  My remaining trees I keep well maintained, and I did not have major problems with my own trees this past week.

At least 50% or more of the blame for all the litter and damage belongs on the tree owners, not the trees or mother nature.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org