A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:10:59 pm
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Neighborhood Conservation Districts - Thoughts?  (Read 63594 times)
Limabean
« Reply #90 on: April 09, 2008, 07:33:56 am »

The city has been very clear that NCD's are voluntary. I think the people who are most against them are the development community.  

Why would someone on 41st street and Lewis want to tell someone on 15th and Lewis that they can't at least have the option to consider becoming a conservation district?

If Tulsa wants to be progressive, lets start thinking progressively.
booWorld
« Reply #91 on: April 09, 2008, 11:38:43 am »

In the version of the NCD draft ordinance I've seen, the process of establishing NCDs is not totally voluntary.

The argument is more about some neighbors pushing for special requirements on other neighbors who might not want to be included than it is about distant neighborhoods worrying about NCDs for other neighborhoods.

Much of the argument boils down to property rights.  The opponents have fears that they won't be able to develop their property as easily with NCD overlay guidelines.  They see the current zoning as restrictive enough without adding more restrictions.

In this morning's World, I read about another complaint from the opponents of the NCD ordinance:  They claim that the process has not been open the the public.  I don't agree with that complaint, but it would be helpful if the TMAPC posted the draft ordinance with movable type instead of a pdf image.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #92 on: July 05, 2008, 11:09:42 pm »

For many years the lot next to us was vacant. I sure am glad that the purchasers built a house somewhat similar to the rest of the neighborhood rather than a Jiffy Lube, a Donut store, a bank or many other commercial concerns. I have nothing against such enterprises, I just don't want them next door. I guess that makes me (somewhat) against mixed development. Oh well.

LongtimeTulsan
Citizen

« Reply #93 on: July 07, 2008, 12:12:56 pm »

Dallas has the NCD model that is used throughout the US.

The TMAPC was suppose to host a forum - anyone know what happened to it?

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2008, 01:01:42 pm »

I thought this lost steam when it's champion on the city council got voted out.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #95 on: July 07, 2008, 10:47:45 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by booWorld

^ I think the argument is about whether or not some people ought to be able to establish extra overlay restrictions for real property other than their own.

It's doubtful that there would be much fuss about neighborhoods setting up totally voluntary NCD boundaries and guidelines by unanimous agreement.

No neighborhood is going to have unanimous agreement on such a thing.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
booWorld
« Reply #96 on: July 08, 2008, 04:49:13 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist

quote:
Originally posted by booWorld

^ I think the argument is about whether or not some people ought to be able to establish extra overlay restrictions for real property other than their own.

It's doubtful that there would be much fuss about neighborhoods setting up totally voluntary NCD boundaries and guidelines by unanimous agreement.

No neighborhood is going to have unanimous agreement on such a thing.

It depends on how "neighborhood" and "NCD" are defined.  I suggested that 100% of land owners within a proposed NCD agree to its boundaries and guidelines.  The draft ordinance required a minimum of 30 contiguous parcels in an NCD, as I remember.  I think you could get at least 30 motivated property owners to all agree to something such as an NCD.
booWorld
« Reply #97 on: July 08, 2008, 06:19:07 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by LongtimeTulsan

Dallas has the NCD model that is used throughout the US.

The TMAPC was suppose to host a forum - anyone know what happened to it?

According to this (June 18, 2008) Tulsa World article, the TMAPC is waiting to see how Fregonese Associates of Portland, Oregon will handle the issue of infill for Tulsa, Oklahoma in the comprehensive plan update.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org