A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 03:22:54 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any opinions on Tulsa soccer clubs?  (Read 3780 times)
hzlis
« on: October 16, 2007, 10:10:51 am »

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Tulsa soccer clubs.  Looking for any opinions, positive or negative.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 10:13:28 am »

This is our first year having a kid play in the Tulsa United league.

It seems well run..the referrees have been very good.

I wish they would mow the fields a little more often and a little lower...

Power is nothing till you use it.
USRufnex
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 12:29:33 pm »

As much as I'd love to be able to make recommendations, I honestly don't know enough about them other than going to an occasional game...

My recommendation would be to go to a couple of TU men's games and ask around...

Or wait until spring and catch a high school game at BA, Union, Jenks, or Bishop Kelley and ask around...
Kashmir
Civic Leader

"My name is Talking Tina and I think I hate you"

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 01:10:10 pm »

My toddler goes to Soccer City for lessons [Smiley] but my husband plays the adult indoor rec "c" league there on Sat evenings.   I know they just had tryouts for a new adult league called "Tulsa Revolution" but as Mr. Kashmir plays strictly for the social and to go run around once a week he is rec only. I know this isn't exactly a "club" but it's getting to be cooler out and it's indoor. www.soccercitytulsa.com

The concession has Sam Adams or Shiner, (can't remember which) pitchers for $6 and those suckers are filled to the brim.  Or so I'm told.[:I]
iplaw
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 01:25:37 pm »

What's this soccer you speak of?
waterboy
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 02:15:42 pm »

If its for an adult, I have no idea. If for your children, beware of Central Tulsa Soccer Club. They have some integrity problems.
okiebybirth
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 12:53:36 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by hzlis

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Tulsa soccer clubs.  Looking for any opinions, positive or negative.

TSC (Tulsa Soccer Club) and Tulsa Nationals is a couple of the better clubs.  But I'd check out the coach of the team you are looking to join.  Sometimes the head coach will have a few teams they coach and sometimes it's someone with little experience; look for the teams coached by the guy running the club.

When I played, Steve Earle (former Tulsa Roughneck) was my coach and he was very demanding but always had the state championship teams.  Last I heard, he was coaching at TSC.

Here's a website of teams:  http://www.gcsoccer.com/GCSA_MemberClubs.html

hzlis
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 06:23:01 am »

This is for my child.  I was wondering if you might be able to elaborate some about Central Tulsa Soccer Club and their integrity issues.  We currently play in the Academy league and looking for a different club.  We are not at the age yet for competitive but need a good league for that transition.  Any information anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated before I make my decision.
waterboy
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 07:31:45 am »

quote:
Originally posted by hzlis

This is for my child.  I was wondering if you might be able to elaborate some about Central Tulsa Soccer Club and their integrity issues.  We currently play in the Academy league and looking for a different club.  We are not at the age yet for competitive but need a good league for that transition.  Any information anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated before I make my decision.

Normally I would pm you this info. But they treated me so shabbily I don't mind sharing in public.

Our sons have played in that league for more than 15years so its not like we just arrived. Our youngest son was playing competitive for the last couple of years. They had difficulty finding coaches (like most youth sports) and they were becoming increasingly disorganized yet demanding more from team parents each season.

The last two years it seemed to be worse than usual. Probably due to improving the West Bank fields, buying a mobile home to serve as a club house and paying for utilities etc. But there was no excuse for refs not showing up for games but still being paid, no dependable contact by e-mail or phone. Rude administrators on phones. Yet the cost of membership kept rising. We showed up for a game in Bixby when it looked like rain was coming. We called the phone numbers for info and received the recorded message to show up unless contacted. No refs showed and we all got soaked with a cold fall rain. No apologies, no explanations yet I heard the refs were paid.

The last straw was sign up early in the summer of 2006. My son was among the first to sign up and I reluctantly paid the $175 club dues. I was unemployed and financially struggling but we wanted him to enjoy a sport with his friends. And he is a good player. At the end of the sign up period he changed his mind and opted to play middle school football. He's an even better football player. The school program is well run.

I informed them and asked to be refunded since the season had not started. They said they would look into it. Never again did they respond in person, by phone, mail or e-mail in spite of my numerous efforts. They kept the sign up money and never even responded. Later we found other parents who had to wait 8 months of constant badgering to get their money returned. Most of his team mates moved to other organizations or sports.

My advice is that if you are fairly wealthy, fiercely committed to paying whatever they ask, have a super star player or are connected they will treat you as royalty there, if you are not, you're just cannon fodder.
hzlis
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 09:15:35 am »

Have you had any other experience with other clubs in Tulsa?  Thanks for your replies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org