A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:36:21 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remodeling of Central Library  (Read 10546 times)
Hometown
« on: September 20, 2007, 11:33:13 am »

Today’s local newspaper announced that the entrance to the Main Library will be remodeled with a treatment added that will match the colorful arch the Library erected about a year ago.  

There have been several threads this past year discussing the merits of Civic Center and individual buildings within Civic Center.  The Central Library was one building almost universally liked by experts and laymen alike.  Experts cited it as a fine example of Mid-Century Modernism.

There has also been ample discussion on TulsaNow about restoration versus remodeling, and how important it is for additions to resemble and maintain the design integrity of the original structure.

I would like to respectfully suggest that Tulsa is about to destroy the value of her Central Library by engaging in this ill-advised remodeling of the entrance.

I would also like to suggest that Tulsa revise its permitting process to include a review by an expert that will determine if proposed changes will destroy or maintain a structure’s design integrity.  I went through a process like that when I changed windows in a building in Oakland, California and I think Tulsa is sorely in need of a similar provision.

I just hate to see the continued, unrelenting destruction of our historic patrimony.  But we live in a town where our historic society itself has extensively remodeled (instead of restoring) two wonderful old mansions.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 11:38:58 am »

I'm hoping the library re-ups the idea of moving to 11th & Denver and let the old building be reused for something more appropriate.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 02:04:43 pm »

I'm with Grizz on this one.
tulsa1603
Philanthropist

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 03:58:39 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Hometown

Today’s local newspaper announced that the entrance to the Main Library will be remodeled with a treatment added that will match the colorful arch the Library erected about a year ago.  

There have been several threads this past year discussing the merits of Civic Center and individual buildings within Civic Center.  The Central Library was one building almost universally liked by experts and laymen alike.  Experts cited it as a fine example of Mid-Century Modernism.

There has also been ample discussion on TulsaNow about restoration versus remodeling, and how important it is for additions to resemble and maintain the design integrity of the original structure.

I would like to respectfully suggest that Tulsa is about to destroy the value of her Central Library by engaging in this ill-advised remodeling of the entrance.

I would also like to suggest that Tulsa revise its permitting process to include a review by an expert that will determine if proposed changes will destroy or maintain a structure’s design integrity.  I went through a process like that when I changed windows in a building in Oakland, California and I think Tulsa is sorely in need of a similar provision.

I just hate to see the continued, unrelenting destruction of our historic patrimony.  But we live in a town where our historic society itself has extensively remodeled (instead of restoring) two wonderful old mansions.

The library is indeed a good example of mid-century modern architecture.  That new "whimsical" sign they added is an eyesore and detraction from the building.  A new entrance based on that thing??  Ewww....  I don't mind the concept of adding an entrance.  But it needs to either relate to the existing building or be transparent (for example, all glass...).

Steve
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 04:08:50 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by tulsa1603

The library is indeed a good example of mid-century modern architecture.  That new "whimsical" sign they added is an eyesore and detraction from the building.  A new entrance based on that thing??  Ewww....  I don't mind the concept of adding an entrance.  But it needs to either relate to the existing building or be transparent (for example, all glass...).

I agree with you Hometown and Tulsa1603; these recent entrance remodels are absolutely horrific.  Where is the Tulsa Historic Preservation Commission and their support of Tulsa's mid twentieth century architecture???  Surely, they can't support these abominations.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 04:20:48 pm »

Indianapolis just about finished doing a re-build of the main library downtown, it will feature 250 computers and is 4 or 5 stories tall. It's due to open soon. It is huge!... The big thing I don't like about Tulsa libraries is they give you so little computer time only a hour per day. In Columbus, Ohio we get 3 hours per day PER BRANCH. In Indianapolis libraries they give you 2 hours per day system wide unless they have open vacant computers then you can get extra time if you want. In Tulsa it's 1-hour and that's that even if other computers and empty. That seems kinda cheap to me.[B)]

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Steve
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 04:39:13 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sauerkraut

Indianapolis just about finished doing a re-build of the main library downtown, it will feature 250 computers and is 4 or 5 stories tall. It's due to open soon. It is huge!... The big thing I don't like about Tulsa libraries is they give you so little computer time only a hour per day. In Columbus, Ohio we get 3 hours per day PER BRANCH. In Indianapolis libraries they give you 2 hours per day system wide unless they have open vacant computers then you can get extra time if you want. In Tulsa it's 1-hour and that's that even if other computers and empty. That seems kinda cheap to me.[B)]

The issue at hand is not about technology or computer access time; it is about preserving the mid-twentieth century architecture of Tulsa's Central Library.  The recent south Library entrance remodel was a major injury.  This new proposed north entrance remodel only adds insult to injury.  This topic is not about facilities or technology, but preserving our architectural heritage.

Tulsa Historic Preservation Commission, where in the heck are you!?!?!?!
booWorld
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 07:37:01 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

I'm hoping the library re-ups the idea of moving to 11th & Denver and let the old building be reused for something more appropriate.

According to David Averill's extremely whiny editorial from last September, the library directors probably won't attempt another bond issue for at least three or four years, and when they do the proposal most likely will be smaller and won't include a replacement for Central Library.  This may be why they are making alterations to the existing structure.  I think the curved sign at 5th & Denver was a total waste of money, BTW.

Averill's crybaby column is more than a year old now, and it contained some factual errors.  Averill could be very wrong about the replacement of Central Library, too.  Much can change in a year's time.  One of the reasons I voted against the new grand central library proposal was because it included plans to close Carson Avenue between 11th and 12th in order to create yet another superblock downtown.  I use Central Library very often, and I'm satisfied with it as it is.  I appreciate Tulsa's public library system.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 07:31:19 am »

quote:
Originally posted by booWorld

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

According to David Averill's extremely whiny editorial from last September, the library directors probably won't attempt another bond issue for at least three or four years, and when they do the proposal most likely will be smaller and won't include a replacement for Central Library.  This may be why they are making alterations to the existing structure.  I think the curved sign at 5th & Denver was a total waste of money, BTW.

Averill's crybaby column is more than a year old now, and it contained some factual errors.  Averill could be very wrong about the replacement of Central Library, too.  Much can change in a year's time.  One of the reasons I voted against the new grand central library proposal was because it included plans to close Carson Avenue between 11th and 12th in order to create yet another superblock downtown.  I use Central Library very often, and I'm satisfied with it as it is.  I appreciate Tulsa's public library system.

The problem with Central Library is that it is too small. Hardesty is larger than Central. The majority of their material is in storage instead of on shelves. They need to build a new central library, and a regional library in BA.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 09:30:32 am »

That is  pretty bad if the Tulsa Library is not saving the historic structure. Our Columbus Ohio Library expanded and built around the orgional 1904 structure and saved it. They did the same thing in Indianapolis, they saved the orgional building from 1907 and built the new library around it. I guess you can read about them on-line. Anyhoo, Tulsa needs to reverse course and save the orgional building. or so it seems to me.[8D]

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Chicken Little
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 10:22:17 am »

Thanks for bringing up that editorial.  That bond issue failed for a number of reasons, but City Hall "turmoil" and the fringe-stream media (or whatever) had little to do with it.

Mainly, I think it was a lack of vision.  They had a chance to piggyback on v2025, but they pulled out.  They could have strengthened the "Downtowns" proposal with an important, integrated, design, but they opted out entirely thinking (presumably), "Tulsa'll never approve a billion dollar package".

Perhaps the even bigger "vision failure" was their plan.  When they finally rolled it out, it did not have any relationship whatsoever with the recently approved v2025 projects: Centennial Walk, arena, etc.  It was plunked on the edge of downtown on some free land and it looked like a Wal-Mart, i.e., box and giant parking lot.  Uninspired, unrelated, and pretty lame.

In part because of V2025, people were already thinking differently about downtown.  They were starting to think that we could have some of the  interesting, walkable, civic environments, just like the big cities we frequent.  The library board didn't "get it"; they continued to believe that "drive thru" convenience was the only thing Tulsans care about.

The downtown Wal-Mart is just a continuation of this discussion.  Only, now that that downtown really seems to be bouncing back, it's even more clear how these isolated, suburban, solutions just don't fit in.
Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 10:32:25 am »

quote:
Originally posted by sauerkraut

That is  pretty bad if the Tulsa Library is not saving the historic structure. Our Columbus Ohio Library expanded and built around the orgional 1904 structure and saved it. They did the same thing in Indianapolis, they saved the orgional building from 1907 and built the new library around it. I guess you can read about them on-line. Anyhoo, Tulsa needs to reverse course and save the orgional building. or so it seems to me.[8D]

We already ditched the original Carnegie building in favor of a big box library.  In 1961.
Hometown
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2007, 01:39:26 pm »

Well let’s put it this way.  You’ve seen Antiques Road Show.  You’ve seen the shock and disappointment when Aunt Clara founds out that her old pewter set would have been worth $50,000 if she hadn’t cleaned it.  Now it’s only worth $12,000 because of her silly mistake.

It’s that way with these old historic structures.  If they are in original condition they are worth much more.  Wear and tear is okay.  Altering the structure immediately diminishes the value.

So the day we tear off the old entrance to install the new entrance, the Central Library’s value will decrease dramatically.

This town has inherited so many important historic structures and at the same time it is almost completely clueless about what it has.

Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2007, 01:50:02 pm »

At the same time, however, it's important to maintain the structures in a manner that makes sure they continue to serve their purpose.  

In this case, it's making the apparently entrance-less library more open for new users, who don't know they have to park in a mildewed garage and enter through the basement.  

This is more like putting updates into a classic car to make it driveable daily, like air conditioning or modern seatbelts.  Sure, you alter the original design.  But you keep the thing user-friendly.

I don't think Central Library has ever been that inviting.  It's a consistent criticism of 20th Century Modern (see, e.g., previous discussion re: Brasilia).  This new entrance will help.  

It's worth remembering that the value of the building right now is as a functional library.  Anything that increases that functionality increases the value of the building.  The alternative is abandoning it, like an old car, for an upgrade.
Hometown
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2007, 01:54:21 pm »

These two different goals are not mutually exclusive.  Just more work to satisfy both and do it right.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org