A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:50:02 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Towers near Muskogee Turnpike?  (Read 3744 times)
bugo
Civic Leader

« on: July 26, 2007, 12:48:56 am »

What are those two towers on the north side of the Muskogee Turnpike near mile marker 6?  They look somewhat like Doppler radar antennas.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 06:17:32 am »

I believe there is a doppler out there.  Not sure if that belongs to NOAA or one of the TV stations.  There's also a tall transmission tower which I think belongs to KOKI television.

Pretty certain "INX" out west of Inola belongs to NOAA.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
bugo
Civic Leader

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 03:18:34 pm »

That makes sense.  I knew it wasn't NOAA's but I didn't know local stations had Dopplers.  

There are several tall towers just east of the radar towers.  

Why is the INX radar site called "Shreck Farm?"  

http://weather.cod.edu/nexrad/brefs/INX/INX.BREF1.gif
YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 03:32:20 pm »

That would probably be KOTV's weather radar.  The NWS radar is near Inola.  Channel 2 and 8 have theirs on their buildings/property.  Channel 6's is out there around Oneta.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 03:38:46 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by bugo

That makes sense.  I knew it wasn't NOAA's but I didn't know local stations had Dopplers.  

There are several tall towers just east of the radar towers.  

Why is the INX radar site called "Shreck Farm?"  

http://weather.cod.edu/nexrad/brefs/INX/INX.BREF1.gif

I think they raise ogres out there. [}:)]

It's in the middle of hay country, very likely they lease tower space from a family named Shreck.  I actually do have a friend with that last name.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 03:49:04 pm »

I have it on good authority that they have nothing to do with an upcoming alien invasion to take place on Sept. 9th with the first landings of 10,000 ugly little space money's in southern Tulsa County around 4:19pm.  

So don't worry about that.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Rowdy
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 04:18:41 pm »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=470579&in_page_id=1770
bugo
Civic Leader

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 06:28:51 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by YoungTulsan

That would probably be KOTV's weather radar.  The NWS radar is near Inola.  Channel 2 and 8 have theirs on their buildings/property.  Channel 6's is out there around Oneta.

Is the Channel 2 radar that tower on Peoria north of 41st?  

Where is Channel 2's transmission antenna?  I live about a mile from the Channel 2 tower and can barely pick the station up with rabbit ears.
YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 08:04:37 pm »

quote:

quote:

Where is Channel 2's transmission antenna?  I live about a mile from the Channel 2 tower and can barely pick the station up with rabbit ears.

Channel 2's radar is the giant pole/round object on top of their building.  You can't miss it, while at the same time, you block it out of your mind if you regularly travel up and down Peoria.  If you are talking about something other than the radar on top of Channel 2's building, then it is likely a cell phone tower.

I'm not sure where Channel 2's transmission tower is, but Channel 6's is out around the same place as their radar near Oneta I believe.

MichaelBates
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 02:52:57 pm »

quote:

quote:

quote:

Channel 2's radar is the giant pole/round object on top of their building.  You can't miss it, while at the same time, you block it out of your mind if you regularly travel up and down Peoria.  If you are talking about something other than the radar on top of Channel 2's building, then it is likely a cell phone tower.

I'm not sure where Channel 2's transmission tower is, but Channel 6's is out around the same place as their radar near Oneta I believe.

KJRH's tower is out at 101st and the Broken Arrow Expressway, near Oneta.

At one time, all the stations except KTUL had their towers in the Osage Hills northwest of Tulsa. You needed a customized TV antenna called the "Tulsa Special" to get good reception.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org