A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 01:46:59 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa Memories from the 80's  (Read 52329 times)
mrskns
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2007, 08:32:57 pm »

Does Tulsa still have Grandy's?  There was one at 61st and Lewis in the 80's.

There was also a Doubletree Hotel somewhere around 61st and Yale.  We used to sneak in a go swimming and hot tubbing.

We lived in the 74136 zip code at Woodbridge Village around 91st and Lewis.  There was a bowling alley, a $1 movie theatre, and I think a doughnut shop close by.  We then lived on 85th street behind the Safeway and Furr's Cafeteria.  This was between Harvard and Yale and 81st and 91st.  Are these still good areas?
inteller
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2007, 06:52:57 am »

quote:
Originally posted by mrskns

Does Tulsa still have Grandy's?  There was one at 61st and Lewis in the 80's.

There was also a Doubletree Hotel somewhere around 61st and Yale.  We used to sneak in a go swimming and hot tubbing.

We lived in the 74136 zip code at Woodbridge Village around 91st and Lewis.  There was a bowling alley, a $1 movie theatre, and I think a doughnut shop close by.  We then lived on 85th street behind the Safeway and Furr's Cafeteria.  This was between Harvard and Yale and 81st and 91st.  Are these still good areas?

those are good areas.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2007, 10:08:29 am »

quote:
Originally posted by mrskns

Hi everyone.  I lived in Tulsa from 1981 - 1989 as a teenager.  I was wondering if the following places still exist:

1.  The Camelot Hotel.  It was a castle-like hotel that was somewhere around Peoria, I think.  We began visiting Tulsa in the 70's and I always wanted to stay there.

is there still a Sipes on Lewis?

The Camelot is being demolished for a QuikTrip:
http://www.fox23.com/content/ontheroad/brookside/story.aspx?content_id=A46EBE8E-5B10-4D25-9CA5-1AF28A8FC7D3&gsa=true

The Sipes at 15th & Lewis was demolished after Albertsons had the city condemn the neighborhood to the northeast for one of their stores -- which they are now vacating and selling to Reasors.  The Sipes location is now an Office Depot:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-12/1116161/depotback.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-12/1116161/depotfront.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-12/1116161/depotside.jpg

The theater on the northeast corner was demolished for a Walgreens.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
breitee
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2007, 08:09:29 am »

ALL of the Grandy's restaurants are now gone, several of them have been converted to walk in dental offices!
MichaelBates
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2007, 09:22:10 am »

quote:
Originally posted by patric

The Sipes at 15th & Lewis was demolished after Albertsons had the city condemn the neighborhood to the northeast for one of their stores -- which they are now vacating and selling to Reasors.  The Sipes location is now an Office Depot:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-12/1116161/depotback.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-12/1116161/depotfront.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-12/1116161/depotside.jpg

The theater on the northeast corner was demolished for a Walgreens.

The store on the southwest corner of 15th and Lewis was built as a Safeway, then a Homeland, and finally an ALPS. If I recall correctly, the store had the typical '60s Safeway quonset hut roof.

The theater, Loew's Delman (later a nightclub called the Appollo [sic] Delman), was on the northwest corner.

Believe it or not, Albertson's acquired all that land privately. Eminent domain was not involved.   The area isn't within any of the city's approved urban renewal acquisition areas. And by the way, the Albertson's to Reasor's conversion begins today at 4 p.m. The store should reopen Thursday. I hope they keep the historic downtown photos in the lobby.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2007, 10:08:45 am »

I remember in 1979 there use-to be a "Safeway" store on the corner of Denver & 11th or some where near there. They long since closed but the building is still there. I lived in the "Cheyenne Arms" apartments. My rent was $115.00 a month and all bills paid. We had no A/C. The address was 1210 S. Cheyenne I was in Apartment 201. They are still standing.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
osu9400
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2007, 10:31:57 am »

- I thought the Safeway at 15&Lewis is now an OfficeMax.

- Jenks is still the "power school" for football. Union won the deal once or twice. BA competed for a couple of years, but never won. Schools from the OKC metro never seem to compete. (I think the new staff at BA will make them more competitive on a regular basis.)

- BA won national championships for their band and cheer-leading programs. Huge deals.

- Woodland still thrives, but 41st & Yale has made a comeback. Eastland tried, but didn't make it as a mall. It is currently being converted to an office complex -- probably catering to Hispanic business.

- The Falls aren't typically THE place anymore. There are much nicer apartment complexes in town.

- Miss Jackson's is still there, but honestly I don't most people in town even know about it. If it's not a "mall store" then most Tulsa transplants won't know about it. "How can something named Miss Jacksons be nearly as cool as The Gap?!?"
mrskns
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2007, 08:39:46 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by osu9400

- I thought the Safeway at 15&Lewis is now an OfficeMax.

- Jenks is still the "power school" for football. Union won the deal once or twice. BA competed for a couple of years, but never won. Schools from the OKC metro never seem to compete. (I think the new staff at BA will make them more competitive on a regular basis.)

- BA won national championships for their band and cheer-leading programs. Huge deals.

- Woodland still thrives, but 41st & Yale has made a comeback. Eastland tried, but didn't make it as a mall. It is currently being converted to an office complex -- probably catering to Hispanic business.

- The Falls aren't typically THE place anymore. There are much nicer apartment complexes in town.

- Miss Jackson's is still there, but honestly I don't most people in town even know about it. If it's not a "mall store" then most Tulsa transplants won't know about it. "How can something named Miss Jacksons be nearly as cool as The Gap?!?"

Thanks for the info.  So 41st and Yale is a comeback?  When I lived in Tulsa, the Promenade had just been built across from Eastland.  Is it still there?  What about The Farm at ? and Sheridan?
pmcalk
City Mother
City Father

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2007, 09:44:45 pm »

Promenade is/was across from Southroads, not Eastland (Promenade used to be called Southland, which is perhaps causing the confusion).  They tore down Southroads mall, and now have a pretty ordinary strip mall, still called southroads, with a Reasors, Barnes & Noble, and a few other stores.  The Farm at 51st & Sheridan is still there, though not a lot going on there--German restaurant, material store, Pier I--a few other stores.

Wingnut
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2007, 06:14:32 am »

I have fond memories of Southland. Back to school shopping at Frougs, Clarks Good Clothes, Pennys, Walgreens with the coffee shop, etc. Open air in the middle with the sidewalk sales in late summer. What a great mall. Southroads had Woolco and Spencers with Looboyles on the lower level. Of course, all thats gone now.
Ok, I'm collected and back to reality now.
mrskns
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2007, 06:38:11 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Wingnut

I have fond memories of Southland. Back to school shopping at Frougs, Clarks Good Clothes, Pennys, Walgreens with the coffee shop, etc. Open air in the middle with the sidewalk sales in late summer. What a great mall. Southroads had Woolco and Spencers with Looboyles on the lower level. Of course, all thats gone now.
Ok, I'm collected and back to reality now.

Is Tulsa still full of mega-churches like it was in the 80's?  I remember Grace Fellowship, RHEMA Bible Church, Victory Christian Center, Higher Dimensions, Boston Avenue Methodist, and the list goes on.
Wingnut
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2007, 05:51:15 am »

There are all still here, less Higher Dimensions. It went away with Carlton Pearsons new "message". Add Church on the Move to your list. Asbury UMC built a hugh building near 71st and Mingo and I understand that they are adding on to that. The chapel in the parking lot is the size of the old church building at 60th & Sheridan. I think the church is visible from the space station.
mrskns
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2007, 07:52:08 am »

What was Pearson's "new message"?  I wondered what happened to him.  It seems like I remember that singer Carmen when to his church.  What is Church on the Move?  Is it nondenominational?  Who is the pastor?
Wingnut
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2007, 12:58:49 pm »

Pearsons new message is that no one goes to hell. If thats the case, then why is there hell? (but thats a whole different thread.) He has been labeled a heretic. I'm not sure if Carmen went there. I believe he had a home in Glenpool.
Willie George pastors Church on the Move. Never been there. Not sure of the denomination, charismatic I think.
Markk
Civic Leader

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2007, 06:09:03 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Wingnut

Pearsons new message is that no one goes to hell. If thats the case, then why is there hell? (but thats a whole different thread.) He has been labeled a heretic. I'm not sure if Carmen went there. I believe he had a home in Glenpool.
Willie George pastors Church on the Move. Never been there. Not sure of the denomination, charismatic I think.

That's a good question.  I guess you have to go to Heaven to find out.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org