A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:31:38 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 Questions: Burying Power Lines/Tree Trimming  (Read 11299 times)
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« on: July 10, 2007, 07:18:33 am »

I live in the Renaissance neighborhood and have two mature trees on my lot. Both trees are on the property line with half of the trunk and foliage over my property and half on my neighbor's.

Question #1: How do I go about getting my power-line buried? One of the trees constantly drops branches onto the power line leading to my house. I'd like to see if the line could be buried to prevent loss of power while simultaneously maintaining the mature canopy.

Question #2: I would like to have the branches trimmed. Do I only have access to the branches on my side of the property line?

---Robert
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 07:33:22 am »

Call an electrician.....And Yes.....

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 07:49:09 am »

I concur with breadwinner.  

Call PSO, they will tell you to take a hike more than likely.  Even if you offer to pay for it, they are probably NOT going to help you out.  I'm not sure why, but this has been my experience in the past (with PSO, about 6 months ago).

The branches that are in your neighbors zone of control are his, for all intensive purposes.  You must seek permission to both enter his property and trim his (your) branches.  In reality... if you do enter and trim the tree there is not likely to be any monetary damages.  Your real risk would be pissing off your neighbor.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 07:55:18 am »

Talk to your neighbor. If you trim the tree and he believes himself to be the owner, then there is the possibility of being in trouble for trimming it. The general rule is that you are responsible just for branches on either side.

Call an electrician and/or PSO. You might try their forestry department at 877-367-6815 (It's toll free, but it goes to Tulsa) and tell them you have a problem service line from the pole to your house and want to know the procedure to get it buried.
brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 08:05:57 am »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

for all intensive purposes.  

[B)]

"It costs a fortune to look this trashy..."
"Don't believe in riches but you should see where I live..."

http://www.stopabductions.com/
brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 08:15:17 am »

quote:
Originally posted by TURobY

I live in the Renaissance neighborhood and have two mature trees on my lot. Both trees are on the property line with half of the trunk and foliage over my property and half on my neighbor's.

Question #1: How do I go about getting my power-line buried? One of the trees constantly drops branches onto the power line leading to my house. I'd like to see if the line could be buried to prevent loss of power while simultaneously maintaining the mature canopy.

Question #2: I would like to have the branches trimmed. Do I only have access to the branches on my side of the property line?

burying a pole drop is pricey... the length of the run and then how many turns they have to make increase the price but it can be done... an associate did it for a run of about 30 feet with two turns- it was $3500...
i'm going to hold out for pso to come through and bury them all... i'd gladly take the big green box in my front yard... interesting that the NIMBY (or i guess NIMFY) in forest hills voted against the burying because of the boxes... and now the south maple ridgies are going to do the same... ****, i know of two of those whackadoos who have permanently installed wholehouse generators... so what do they care?... i will volunteer for the big green box if theyd get rid of the poles... put a damn shrub around it for crying out loud...

tulsa1603
Philanthropist

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 08:39:42 am »

quote:
Originally posted by TURobY

The power line leading to your house is your property.  I talked to PSO about having mine buried, and they made it clear they weren't very interested, even if I was paying.  I think you can have a private electrical contractor do it for you, but it will definitely cost $.

You can trim straight up at your property line.  I have a friend who has a gorgeous old oak tree, but her neighbor HATES trees.  So she has this beautiful canopy above her yard, but precisely at the property line, the tree is sheared straight up!  I wouldn't recommend doing it that way. Smiley

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 08:56:50 am »

quote:
Originally posted by brunoflipper

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

for all intensive purposes.  

[B)]

D'oh!

"For all intents and purposes..."

Language has evolved the point where most people would not recognize the correct usage.  That, and I can honestly say I have not written this saying out since discussion cliches in my Bus Com class.  Nor, for that matter, do I believe I have had the pleasure of reading it correctly drafted for an equal amount of time.  I am guilty of continuing the Americanization of the former English language. [Wink]

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 11:27:17 am »

quote:
Originally posted by brunoflipperburying a pole drop is pricey... the length of the run and then how many turns they have to make increase the price but it can be done... an associate did it for a run of about 30 feet with two turns- it was $3500...

When we buried ours (pre-AEP days), we provided the trench to PSO's specifications, then PSO laid the cable in and connected it -- at no price difference than had it been aerial.  Now AEP wont even talk to you for less than $2000 (or whatever it takes to discourage you from burying it).

quote:
i'm going to hold out for pso to come through and bury them all... i'd gladly take the big green box in my front yard... interesting that the NIMBY (or i guess NIMFY) in forest hills voted against the burying because of the boxes... and now the south maple ridgies are going to do the same... ****, i know of two of those whackadoos who have permanently installed wholehouse generators... so what do they care?... i will volunteer for the big green box if theyd get rid of the poles... put a damn shrub around it for crying out loud...

Only about one home in eight get the green box, whereas with pole-to-pole (aerial) neighborhoods, just about everybody has a pole in some corner of their yard.

I think you would have to be terribly mis-informed to argue in favor keeping this...

instead of upgrading to this

Well, at least the mayor and her friends are getting their neighborhoods done:

Charlane-Ranch Acres
ForrestHills-Wildwood

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007, 12:26:45 pm »

I know they are working in Broken Arrow too. One of my coworkers is going through the part where PSO is trying to get right of ways in place to run the lines.
brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 12:29:05 pm »

that is just it, it is my understanding that the forest hills-wildwood stopped secondary to resident protest... south maple ridge is about to do the same...

and yeah, you'd be an donkey to think that aerials, telephone poles and constant service interuptions are better than a freaking green box... i'd take the box any damn day...

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2007, 03:16:50 pm »

quote:

that is just it, it is my understanding that the forest hills-wildwood stopped secondary to resident protest... south maple ridge is about to do the same...

At what point do the protests arise, before the work begins or after the residents see how AEP does it?

I can see misinformation sabotaging the first instance, but AEP must be doing a horrific job  to screw up the second instance.

Could doing a job the worst way you possibly could (or doing it for $1,000,000 a mile) conceivably sway public opinion from putting undergrounding requirements in, say, any master Plan the city might be working on?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 04:10:43 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by patric

quote:

At what point do the protests arise, before the work begins or after the residents see how AEP does it?

I can see misinformation sabotaging the first instance, but AEP must be doing a horrific job  to screw up the second instance.

Could doing a job the worst way you possibly could (or doing it for $1,000,000 a mile) conceivably sway public opinion from putting undergrounding requirements in, say, any master Plan the city might be working on?

they protested when they heard there were going to be boxes in some of the front yards... they all said "NIMFY" and pitched a fit... my understanding is that it was purely the aesthetics that torqued the richie riches...

inteller
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007, 05:59:12 pm »

i wish they would bury more transmission lines like that one stretch of 71st between yale and harvard.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2007, 06:41:16 pm »

quote:

they protested when they heard there were going to be boxes in some of the front yards... they all said "NIMFY" and pitched a fit... my understanding is that it was purely the aesthetics that torqued the richie riches...

You know, since they're building this from scratch, is there any reason why they're putting the transformers in front yards in the first place?

Ill bet every one of these homes has their meter in the back yard, where most aerial wires enter.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org