A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:17:15 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ...Rise in crime around Cherry Street?  (Read 13984 times)
izmophonik
« on: June 28, 2007, 07:01:51 pm »

Has anyone noticed a rise in crime around Cherry Street?  More specifically the Swan Lake neighborhood and parts along Cherry Street?  I've seen and heard of 5 car break-in's in the last month on my street alone on Saint Louis Ave.  I'm just curious if my street just happens to be lucky this month or more thugs are actually walking from North of the B.A. past Cherry Street to cause trouble.  I don't know if anyone has noticed but once you drive North of 13th Street between Peoria and Utica it gets awful shady.
circassia
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 07:34:27 pm »

Hehe I remember when I lived in Arlington Arms and had some crazy stuff happen. I remember when I moved there was a lot of graffiti showing up, and a few cars had been vandalized on 14th St.

I never felt "unsafe" there, but on Friday nights I wished there was more of a police presence there.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 08:18:42 pm »

Sounds like too many in such a short period of time to be caused by an increase in the "thug walking patterns" down your particular street. Seems like many times a thug will have luck in an area or get used to hitting an area, then will move on. But that is a lot of break ins and the cops should patrol that area more for a while. I thought part of what they were trying to do was look for patterns and mobilize accordingly. One criminal can do a lot of crimes. Watched a news article just the other day about a guy here that was jailed for burglary and other things, had a looong rap sheet of similar things from before, then got released early for some reason, then was caught just a couple days later doing the same thing. The news suggested that this type of thing goes on quite a bit. Going to jail for a few months is not a deterrent to people whose lives are a squalid, dangerous, mess anyway. Prison is just a change of scenery, hardly a deterrent that will "keep them from doing it again". Either keep them there or "rehabilitate" them.  Do they make people in prison work and go to school?  And if not why not?

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 09:52:07 pm »

Many many deadbeats on 15th the last year or so......

AMP
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 11:48:12 pm »

Neighbors got broken into around here last weekend.  We walked the neighborhood to discover four others had the same problem, two homes and two automobiles.  

Covering more area, the next block over, we discovered a large percentage of folks outside doing lawn work and sitting in lawn chairs had also experienced theft of one kind or another. Some had items stolen off their porch, others had entire cars stolen.  

It was a very large percentage to me, kind of shocked me actually to learn there is that much crime being commited.  Two residents have lived in their homes here for over 30 years each and tell of cycles of crime that have hit the neighborhood.  One said, oh no they are at it again, as if he was describing Vampires returning or worse. Yikes !
izmophonik
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 08:05:49 am »

The latest one was my own neighbor.  I was doing yardwork around 4:00p.m. on a Sunday and his car alarm went off.  By the time I got over there his windshield was busted and his stereo gone.  Two days later on the same street, someone threw a giant rock into a window and stole what they could get.  I'm halfway tempted to buy a bunch of security cameras.
brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 08:22:21 am »

quote:
Originally posted by izmophonik

Has anyone noticed a rise in crime around Cherry Street?  More specifically the Swan Lake neighborhood and parts along Cherry Street?  I've seen and heard of 5 car break-in's in the last month on my street alone on Saint Louis Ave.  I'm just curious if my street just happens to be lucky this month or more thugs are actually walking from North of the B.A. past Cherry Street to cause trouble.  I don't know if anyone has noticed but once you drive North of 13th Street between Peoria and Utica it gets awful shady.

you could try and amass bogus anecdotal evidence from this forum or you could just go and check the tpd crime map ...

north of 13th has always been marginal at best...

i have not noticed any increase in crime... but the vagrants and panhandlers on and around cherry street and sobo have indeed increased in the past year... my theory is that once the liquor store (that i hated so much) across from the home depot closed, they've migrated towards the next closest liquor store... which happens to be on cherry street...

"It costs a fortune to look this trashy..."
"Don't believe in riches but you should see where I live..."

http://www.stopabductions.com/
AMP
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 11:08:15 am »

My neighbors, who were burglarized over this past weekend, discovered yesterday that the thieves had taken their Green City provided trash can. They found it missing, and a trash bag full of their trash sitting where it once was. Discovered it when they went to take out more trash, as today is trash pickup day.

Thieves apparently used the trashcan on wheels, to haul off the stolen goods under cover. Upon phoning the City Refuse department, they were informed that is a very common occurrence. Huh

Geeze let's not inform the public of these things.... Why is the news media not reporting this kind of stuff. More involved with reporting on Paris Hilton's drunken stupor.

Sounds as if it may be a good idea to engrave and place stickers on your trash container of your contact information and Address. If found not at the address labeled, this unit has apparently been stolen, please call xxx-xxx-xxxx
City of Tulsa Refuse Department.

All that labor for a 10 year old television. Interesting someone would risk their life for a $20 television and a City owned green trash can ?

Perhaps the City needs to set up some stings in the active areas, and install lojack or those ankle location devices on the trashcans. I recall a BMW Bicycle used on the TV program Cops one time. Thieves claimed they had bought it, or that it was theirs. Only way one could legally obtain the BMW bike other than receive it as a gift or buy it from someone that originally owned a BMW, was to of purchased a special BMW on a one time promotion. I would think setting a nice modern automobile in the street at night would attract the thieves and one could take them away quietly one at at time. Like they do on TV.

Good Grief, what has this towns society come to? People stealing 10-year-old televisions and trashcans. Best Economy in 50 years? ? ?

mr.jaynes
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 02:22:24 pm »

15th as I remember it, was kinda trendy, but no less pleasant area. I shudder to think what it has become, after reading how it's currently described.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 06:53:22 pm »

15th is nice and still getting nicer. But apparently the crooks find it an easy target. I have been in my house for just over 3 years and there have been 3 car break-ins on my street. Each time the car was parked on the street not in the driveway which is something crooks look for. They can drive by, the passenger can lean out the door and bust the window, grab stuff while the driver is ready to take off in a heartbeat. The last one was just a few months ago right in front of my house. That made me nervous and I am probably going to install a camera system not just for myself but for the neighbors as well by having a couple that will catch the street. I did worry a bit that there might be a somewhat higher incidence of crime in my area being both so close to the Promenade and near all the apartments across the highway, but sounds like even a "trendy" area like Cherry Street has more problems.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
AMP
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 07:45:21 pm »

According to the crime map, it lights up like a Christmas tree in most parts of Tulsa.  Not too many have less crime than others.  Thieves today are mobile and the wiser ones hit the higher end areas.  Seems hypes hit the low-income areas for $20 TV sets, a quick fix or whatever that would buy them.  

Don't think there is an exempt area, unless in a gated community, or high rise building with constant security patrol on duty.

Still think it is time for some Sing operations to catch these thieves.  Seems way too much time is spent catching internet cyber crime types which seems to be a fairly popular and easy task.   I say go after the live folks breaking into people’s homes, businesses and vehicles.  Set up a lure, get them on a camera interview and then hauled away to court.  Play them on the local TV News each and every night at 5, 6 and 10pm on the local NEWS for a few months.  Should put a damper on those types of crimes, at least the neighbors will be able to identify those committing the thefts.

Of course not too many municipalities wish to arrest, prosecute and house broke dick $10 TV thieves.  They don't fit into the system of making money for the Judicial Industry.  No profit in them hiring a defense attorney or paying a bail bonds man, and the arrest of them does not seem to attract many votes from constituents.  

Yesterday I was at the O'Reilly Auto Parts store on East Admiral, left my digi cam, cell phone and charger laying on my seat, did not lock the doors.  When I walked out of the parts store, there was a guy in his 20's inside my vehicle with those items in his hands.  He claimed he mistook my vehicle for his, and never said he was sorry.  I witnessed a man stealing a window air conditioner out of an abandoned property this morning.  Dude just yanked it out of the window, put it in a shopping cart he had other items he had picked up along his trail and rolled it away as it nothing had happened.  I continue to be in utter shock watching this type of thing occur.  Feel like I am living in that movie set in the future, MAD MAX ROAD WARRIOR

Believe I will start taking photos of all these crimes or suspected crimes and post them online for all to see.
AMP
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 08:20:13 pm »

Some strange critters living in this area for sure.  Look similar to these dudes.
AMP
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2007, 11:10:37 pm »

Friends wife was running on the jogging trail one afternoon last Summer in east Tulsa.

Theives tossed a big rock through the drivers side door window, it bounced off the center counsole and out through the passenger door window.  

The stole a small MP3 Player worth $60 that was in the large center console and did over $350 in damage to the truck in the process.  It was a F-350 Pickup with leather interior that also was torn by the tossed rock.
Wilbur
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2007, 06:14:36 am »

quote:
Has anyone noticed a rise in crime around Cherry Street? More specifically the Swan Lake neighborhood and parts along Cherry Street? I've seen and heard of 5 car break-in's in the last month on my street alone on Saint Louis Ave. I'm just curious if my street just happens to be lucky this month or more thugs are actually walking from North of the B.A. past Cherry Street to cause trouble. I don't know if anyone has noticed but once you drive North of 13th Street between Peoria and Utica it gets awful shady.

quote:
Neighbors got broken into around here last weekend. We walked the neighborhood to discover four others had the same problem, two homes and two automobiles.

How many of these got reported to the police?

Many of my neighbors like to come talk to the "neighborhood police officer" to talk about crime problems.  They always ask me if the police know about, or what are the police doing about, certain types of crime in the neighborhood.  When I ask them if they ever reported the crimes to police, they almost always tell me "no."

How do people expect the police to address the problem if these crimes never get reported?
brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2007, 06:44:09 am »

quote:
Originally posted by AMP

Yesterday I was at the O'Reilly Auto Parts store on East Admiral, left my digi cam, cell phone and charger laying on my seat, did not lock the doors.  When I walked out of the parts store, there was a guy in his 20's inside my vehicle with those items in his hands.  He claimed he mistook my vehicle for his, and never said he was sorry.  

what?
you left all your **** out in your unlocked car and are shocked someone would try and steal it?
your either stupid or naive.

doing stuff like that makes you an easy mark. maybe that is why you've been victimized so many times.

"It costs a fortune to look this trashy..."
"Don't believe in riches but you should see where I live..."

http://www.stopabductions.com/
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org