A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:10:33 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are Campus Police Accountable?  (Read 42740 times)
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2015, 07:17:43 pm »

City Of Cincinnati Terminates UCPD Patrols After Suspicious Spike In Minority Traffic Stops

http://newsone.com/3165051/cincinnati-terminates-ucpd-minority-traffic-stops/

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2015, 05:12:48 pm »

More Texas crazy:

There is a line between acting out of an abundance of caution and entering the theater of the absurd. Authorities in Irving, Texas, appear to have barreled across that line this week when they mistook a student-made clock for a fake bomb and marched a handcuffed 14-year-old freshman, Ahmed Muhamed, out of school and into juvenile detention.

"Under Texas law, a person is guilty of possessing a hoax bomb if he possesses a device that is intended to cause anyone to be alarmed or a reaction of any type by law enforcement officers," Irving, Texas police Chief Larry Boyd said.

...which is interpreted that the over-reaction by police in and of itself made it a crime.  Sort of a self-fulfilling felony.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/editorials/la-ed-clock-20150917-story.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2015, 11:24:41 am »

More Texas crazy:

There is a line between acting out of an abundance of caution and entering the theater of the absurd. Authorities in Irving, Texas, appear to have barreled across that line this week when they mistook a student-made clock for a fake bomb and marched a handcuffed 14-year-old freshman, Ahmed Muhamed, out of school and into juvenile detention.

"Under Texas law, a person is guilty of possessing a hoax bomb if he possesses a device that is intended to cause anyone to be alarmed or a reaction of any type by law enforcement officers," Irving, Texas police Chief Larry Boyd said.

...which is interpreted that the over-reaction by police in and of itself made it a crime.  Sort of a self-fulfilling felony.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/editorials/la-ed-clock-20150917-story.html

So the clock alarmed them?

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2015, 12:59:39 pm »

So the clock alarmed them?

+1 lol

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2015, 06:53:44 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq4BR5KHuqA&feature=youtu.be
TeeDub
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2015, 09:59:41 am »

She was asked....  Then told to leave the classroom.   (Before the officer was even called to the classroom.)   

While it was not handled well, what are the alternatives?   You would have complained if he tased her as well.    How do you get her to comply?   

I'm not sure I like the way it was handled either, but if she would have left the classroom ANY of the times she was asked, it wouldn't have gotten there.   
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2015, 01:26:00 pm »

BUZZ - wrong answer T Dub.

"They should have just complied" is not an excuse. I couldn't use that kind of force on my child in a public place if my teenage son was lipping off to me without being arrested for child abuse. But it is OK for an employee of the school to do so?

The rule is NEVER "just shut up and do what you are told or we can do whatever we want."  The officer is the government agent. The officer is the professional. The officer is the one with training and access to resources to handle difficult situations. It shouldn't be the officer that resorts to this sort of action.

If the girl was posing a threat, do you have to do. But she was being a noncompliant jerk. That is not uncommon for teenagers. One has to imagine there are better ways of handling the situation or we would hear this on the news daily. That said - it appears the teacher and officer exhausted more calm alternatives and did need to escalate it somehow. Most often the kids desk is simply ragged out into the hallway and the obnoxious behavior can continue there - while the rest of the class moves on.

In this instance it appears to me the officer was trying to remove her from the desk with some force, but it doesn't appear he tried to tip her over backwards. He didn't know her leg was locked around the desk and thus was not anticipating the desk flipping over. When he did try to remove her and the desk fell, he probably felt the need to control the situation before it escalated further (that is, the level of force he ended up using caught him off guard and he feared retaliation).  But, unintended consequences are a risk of sudden uses of force.

I think this could have been handled better, but I don't think it is a situation where the officer came in with a "bust some heads" attitude.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2015, 01:37:23 pm »

BUZZ - wrong answer T Dub.

"They should have just complied" is not an excuse. I couldn't use that kind of force on my child in a public place if my teenage son was lipping off to me without being arrested for child abuse. But it is OK for an employee of the school to do so?

The rule is NEVER "just shut up and do what you are told or we can do whatever we want."  The officer is the government agent. The officer is the professional. The officer is the one with training and access to resources to handle difficult situations. It shouldn't be the officer that resorts to this sort of action.

One bad officials' choices are one matter, but the school decided to also arrest a second student who stood up during the assault and VERBALLY COMPLAINED about the bullying.  That sort of set the bar for their frame of mind.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
TeeDub
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2015, 02:05:44 pm »

The rule is NEVER "just shut up and do what you are told or we can do whatever we want."  The officer is the government agent. The officer is the professional. The officer is the one with training and access to resources to handle difficult situations. It shouldn't be the officer that resorts to this sort of action.

I see your point...   But too often the rule is exactly that.

(And sometimes I don't blame them.)
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2015, 09:35:31 pm »

cynical
Civic Leader

« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2015, 10:57:58 am »

The deputy who assaulted the recalcitrant student has been fired for violation of department policy.

One bad officials' choices are one matter, but the school decided to also arrest a second student who stood up during the assault and VERBALLY COMPLAINED about the bullying.  That sort of set the bar for their frame of mind.

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2015, 12:16:17 pm »

And of course the part of the video where she swings at the cop was left out.....

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2015, 01:59:06 pm »

And of course the part of the video where she swings at the cop was left out.....

Not to the police chief.  He was ultimately the decider on this.

And it wasn't a 'part of the video'.  There was third video that was never released that showed this.  Hmm...never released.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2015, 02:38:02 pm »

I'm not really sure I see a swing so much as flailing when she's being slammed down. But let's say she did, is she not allowed to defend herself while being assaulted?

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2015, 04:31:12 pm »

I'm not really sure I see a swing so much as flailing when she's being slammed down. But let's say she did, is she not allowed to defend herself while being assaulted?

Nope, you must submit to authoritay!!!

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org