A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:01:36 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QuikTrip Expansion at 21st and Harvard  (Read 64038 times)
tulsa1603
Philanthropist

« on: June 14, 2007, 07:23:48 pm »

FYI:  Tonight at the Florence Park HOA meeting, I learned that QuikTrip is buying up land from Harvard to Gary Pl, with the intention of pushing their store back and adding pumps, plus a rear entrance.  The basic layout of the store would stay the same (facing Harvard), except they would add an entrance to the rear - there will be no street entrance off of Gary Pl., just on 21st, but there was some heated discussion about the increase of traffic that is bound to come down Gary when this happens.  I brought up the issue of lighting, and the QT rep said that they follow the "Phoenix" lighting example (Patric, do you know what he meant by that?).  I also pointed out that we often hear promises at meetings like these and of course, it never happens, and nothing is done about it.

I live about as far from the QT as you can in the neighborhood, so I have mixed feelings.  I think the store is generally an asset, and the properties they would be taking are a detriment becuase they are shabby, but at the same time, I'm also concerned about the increased lighting, noise, and traffic it could bring, and that it would turn adjacent properties into something less than desirable.. Shockingly, many along 21st street said that they would love to see a wall built all the way down 21st street for noise protection, like they did at 61st and yale (yikes!).  

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 09:02:20 pm »

Quiktrip has done this expansion in a lot of places. They will increase traffic (some) but keep in mind the back door is usually locked at night and the added size is generally to help people to get in & out easier.

The phoenix lighting might refer to something they did in Arizona.
Chris
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 09:23:40 pm »

I worked at that Quiktrip from 2000 to 2001 and they were planning to expand even then. It was the busiest store of its size then and it seems to be even busier these days. It's almost impossible to get in and out of and I can't see how expanding could do anything but help in that regard. I would doubt that it would get much busier overall though.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 11:13:20 pm »

The current standard they will be held to in Tulsa is:

"Lighting used to illuminate an off-street parking area shall be so arranged as to shield and direct the light away from properties within an R District which do not contain uses for which the parking is being provided.
Shielding of such light shall be designed so as to prevent the light-producing element of the light fixture from being visible to a person standing in an R District."

(Title 42, Chapter 13, Section 1303C. DESIGN STANDARDS FOR OFF-STREET PARKING AREAS, City of Tulsa Ordinances.)

Keep in mind that "shielded" refers to performance (not simply the presence of something called a shield). If you can see the source of the light (the lamp, image of the lamp in a reflector or a glowing lens) from your residential property, it isnt shielded and violates zoning.

If QT is saying they currently follow Phoenix's lighting ordinance design guidelines, I would have my doubts but ill let you be the judge.
Here are excerpts of the relevant sections from the Marcopia County (Phoenix) ordinance:  

"Outdoor Lighting Control Provisions"  Ch. 11 Section 1112
(http://www.maricopa.gov/planning/pdf/reform_ordinance/mczo1.pdf)

1112.4.1. Shielding: All exterior illuminating devices, except those exempt from this Ordinance and those regulated by Article 1112.5.3. shall be fully or partially shielded as required in Article 1112.4.2.

1. “Fully Shielded” shall mean that those fixtures so designated shall be shielded in such a manner that light rays emitted by the fixture, either directly from the lamp or indirectly from the fixture, are projected below a horizontal plane running through the lowest point of the fixture where light is emitted.

2. “Partially shielded” shall mean that those fixtures so designated shall conform to the classification of “Cutoff”, defined as follows:
a. A luminaire light distribution is designated as cutoff when the
candle-power per 1,000 lamp lumens does not numerically exceed
25 lumens (two and one-half percent) at an angle of 90 degrees
above Nadir (horizontal), and 100 lumens (ten percent) at a vertical
angle of 80 degrees above Nadir. This applies to any lateral angle
around the luminaire.

1112.4.1. Filtration: Those outdoor light fixtures requiring a filter in Article 1112.4.2. shall have glass, acrylic or translucent enclosures (Quartz Glass does not meet this requirement).

1112.4.2. Requirements for Shielding and Filtering: The requirements for shielding and filtering light emissions from outdoor light fixtures shall be as set forth in the following table:

FIXTURE LAMP TYPE       SHIELDED    FILTERED
Low pressure sodium 1       None       None
High pressure sodium       Fully       None
Metal halide 5          Fully       Yes
Fluorescent 7          Fully 4    Yes 2
Quartz 3          Fully       None
Incandescent greater than 150watts Fully    None
Incandescent, 150 watts or less None       None
Mercury vapor          Fully 6    Yes 6
Fossil fuel          None       None
Glass tubes filled with neon, argon,
and krypton          None       None
Other sources As approved by the zoning inspector

Footnotes:
1. This is the preferred light source to minimize undesirable light into the night sky affecting astronomical observations.
2. Warm white and natural lamps are preferred to minimize detrimental effects.
3. For the purposes of this ordinance, quartz lamps shall not be considered an incandescent light source.
4. Outdoor advertising signs of the type constructed of translucent material and wholly illuminated from within do not require shielding.
5. Metal Halide display lighting shall not be used for security lighting after 11:00 p.m. (or after closing hours if before 11:00 p.m.) unless fully shielded. Metal Halide lamps shall be in enclosed luminaries.
6. Recommended for existing fixtures. The installation of Mercury Vapor Fixtures is prohibited effective ninety (90) days after the date of adoption of this Ordinance.
7 Outdoor advertising signs may use fluorescent fixtures. These fixtures must be mounted at the top of the sign structure and may be partially shielded, but not filtered.

1112.5.4. Mercury Vapor: The installation of Mercury Vapor fixtures is prohibited effective 90 days after the date of adoption of this Ordinance.

ARTICLE 1112.6. PERMANENT EXEMPTIONS:
1112.6.1. Non-Conforming Fixtures: All outdoor light fixtures installed prior to January 1, 1985, that are equipped with a permanent automatic
shut-off device may remain unchanged, except that the subject light fixtures shall not be operated between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and
sunrise. All outdoor light fixtures installed prior to January 1, 1985,
that are not equipped with an automatic shut-off device may remain
unchanged. With respect to all outdoor light fixtures installed prior to
January 1, 1985, whether with an automatic shut-off device or not,
there shall be no change in use, replacement, structural alteration, or
restoration after discontinuance of use for a period of 12 consecutive
months, unless it thereafter conforms to the provisions of these
regulations.
1112.6.2. Fossil Fuel Light: Produced directly or indirectly by the combustion of natural gas or other utility-type fossil fuels.

ARTICLE 1112.7 OTHER EXEMPTIONS FROM OUTDOOR LIGHTING PROVISIONS:
1112.7.1. Bottom-Mounted Outdoor Advertising Lighting: Outdoor advertising sign boards which exceed 301 square feet per sign face and
consist of panels which are designed to be removed from the top of the
sign board are exempt from the provisions of this Ordinance if illuminated by an approved bottom-mounted outdoor advertising fixture
equipped with an automatic device which shuts off the fixture between
midnight and sunrise.
1112.7.2 Low Intensity Fixtures: Any outdoor lighting fixture which has a maximum candle power of less than 1,000 candelas is exempt from
these provisions, if equipped with an automatic device which shuts off
the fixture between the hours of midnight and sunrise.

ARTICLE 1112.8 PROCEDURES FOR COMPLIANCE:
1112.8.1. Applications:
MARICOPA COUNTY ZONING ORDINANCE
Chapter 11 – General Regulations
1. Any individual applying for a Zoning Clearance and intending to install outdoor lighting fixtures shall, as a part of said application, submit evidence that the proposed work will comply with provisions in this ordinance.
2. Utility companies providing a notarized affidavit in which they agree
to comply with the provisions of these regulations shall be exempt
from applying for and obtaining a permit for the installation of
outdoor light fixtures, including residential security lighting.
1112.8.2. Contents of Application or Submission: The submission shall contain, but shall not necessarily be limited to the following, all or part of which may be part of or in addition to the information required elsewhere in the zoning regulations upon application for the required permit:
1. Plans indicating the location on the premises, the type of illuminating devices, fixtures, lamps, supports and other devices, etc.
2. Description of the illuminating devices, fixtures, lamps, supports and other devices, etc. This description may include, but is not limited to, manufacturers' catalog cuts and/or drawings (including sections
where required).
3. The above required plans and descriptions shall be sufficiently complete to enable the Zoning Inspector to readily determine whether
compliance with the requirements of this Ordinance will be secured.
If such plans and descriptions cannot enable this ready determination
by reason of the nature or configuration of the devices, fixtures, or
lamps proposed, the applicant shall submit evidence of compliance by
certified test reports as performed by a recognized testing lab.

Tulsa's ordinance does a much better job adressing "Light Trespass" and glare, whereas Phoenix's mainly addresses uplight that threatens eco-tourism and observatories.  

These handouts might also be of use to your neighborhood group:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-12/1116161/kennebunkport_formula.gif
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-12/1116161/whatis_FCO.gif

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 08:16:29 am »

I love QT.  That QT is the closet to my house.  I make them rich.  It is always WAY busy and needs more space and I do not think it will cause much more traffic at all.  The area is already so busy it has all the traffic it needs.  I'm sure many people pass by because it is so busy - more than likely they will just attract those instead of more traffic.

That said, I also like that little enclave of buildings around it.  They are certainly a bit rundown, but boy to they have character.  I would be sorry to see them go for more concrete lot.  To alleviate some of the stress on that QT they can build on at 31st and Louisville (where a Fiesta Mart has been "coming soon" for 3 years now).  I'd be a HUGE fan of that.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 09:22:41 am »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

I love QT.  That QT is the closet to my house.  I make them rich.

I heard people like you and I are called 'trippers.
tulsa1603
Philanthropist

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 09:22:52 am »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

I love QT.  That QT is the closet to my house.  I make them rich.  It is always WAY busy and needs more space and I do not think it will cause much more traffic at all.  The area is already so busy it has all the traffic it needs.  I'm sure many people pass by because it is so busy - more than likely they will just attract those instead of more traffic.

That said, I also like that little enclave of buildings around it.  They are certainly a bit rundown, but boy to they have character.  I would be sorry to see them go for more concrete lot.  To alleviate some of the stress on that QT they can build on at 31st and Louisville (where a Fiesta Mart has been "coming soon" for 3 years now).  I'd be a HUGE fan of that.

That was my thought last night - why don't they build another one further down Harvard instead of making this one a "Mega" QT.  I signed up to be on the neighborhood QT Committee.  I'm not completely opposed, but I definitely want to make sure our needs and wishes aren't completely run over.

tulsa1603
Philanthropist

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 09:31:03 am »

My apologies Patric, it was "Scottsdale" not "Phoenix".  I should have taken notes.

quote:
Originally posted by patric

The current standard they will be held to in Tulsa is:

"Lighting used to illuminate an off-street parking area shall be so arranged as to shield and direct the light away from properties within an R District which do not contain uses for which the parking is being provided.
Shielding of such light shall be designed so as to prevent the light-producing element of the light fixture from being visible to a person standing in an R District."

(Title 42, Chapter 13, Section 1303C. DESIGN STANDARDS FOR OFF-STREET PARKING AREAS, City of Tulsa Ordinances.)

Keep in mind that "shielded" refers to performance (not simply the presence of something called a shield). If you can see the source of the light (the lamp, image of the lamp in a reflector or a glowing lens) from your residential property, it isnt shielded and violates zoning.

If QT is saying they currently follow Phoenix's lighting ordinance design guidelines, I would have my doubts but ill let you be the judge.
Here are excerpts of the relevant sections from the Marcopia County (Phoenix) ordinance:  

"Outdoor Lighting Control Provisions"  Ch. 11 Section 1112
(http://www.maricopa.gov/planning/pdf/reform_ordinance/mczo1.pdf)

1112.4.1. Shielding: All exterior illuminating devices, except those exempt from this Ordinance and those regulated by Article 1112.5.3. shall be fully or partially shielded as required in Article 1112.4.2.

1. “Fully Shielded” shall mean that those fixtures so designated shall be shielded in such a manner that light rays emitted by the fixture, either directly from the lamp or indirectly from the fixture, are projected below a horizontal plane running through the lowest point of the fixture where light is emitted.

2. “Partially shielded” shall mean that those fixtures so designated shall conform to the classification of “Cutoff”, defined as follows:
a. A luminaire light distribution is designated as cutoff when the
candle-power per 1,000 lamp lumens does not numerically exceed
25 lumens (two and one-half percent) at an angle of 90 degrees
above Nadir (horizontal), and 100 lumens (ten percent) at a vertical
angle of 80 degrees above Nadir. This applies to any lateral angle
around the luminaire.

1112.4.1. Filtration: Those outdoor light fixtures requiring a filter in Article 1112.4.2. shall have glass, acrylic or translucent enclosures (Quartz Glass does not meet this requirement).

1112.4.2. Requirements for Shielding and Filtering: The requirements for shielding and filtering light emissions from outdoor light fixtures shall be as set forth in the following table:

FIXTURE LAMP TYPE       SHIELDED    FILTERED
Low pressure sodium 1       None       None
High pressure sodium       Fully       None
Metal halide 5          Fully       Yes
Fluorescent 7          Fully 4    Yes 2
Quartz 3          Fully       None
Incandescent greater than 150watts Fully    None
Incandescent, 150 watts or less None       None
Mercury vapor          Fully 6    Yes 6
Fossil fuel          None       None
Glass tubes filled with neon, argon,
and krypton          None       None
Other sources As approved by the zoning inspector

Footnotes:
1. This is the preferred light source to minimize undesirable light into the night sky affecting astronomical observations.
2. Warm white and natural lamps are preferred to minimize detrimental effects.
3. For the purposes of this ordinance, quartz lamps shall not be considered an incandescent light source.
4. Outdoor advertising signs of the type constructed of translucent material and wholly illuminated from within do not require shielding.
5. Metal Halide display lighting shall not be used for security lighting after 11:00 p.m. (or after closing hours if before 11:00 p.m.) unless fully shielded. Metal Halide lamps shall be in enclosed luminaries.
6. Recommended for existing fixtures. The installation of Mercury Vapor Fixtures is prohibited effective ninety (90) days after the date of adoption of this Ordinance.
7 Outdoor advertising signs may use fluorescent fixtures. These fixtures must be mounted at the top of the sign structure and may be partially shielded, but not filtered.

1112.5.4. Mercury Vapor: The installation of Mercury Vapor fixtures is prohibited effective 90 days after the date of adoption of this Ordinance.

ARTICLE 1112.6. PERMANENT EXEMPTIONS:
1112.6.1. Non-Conforming Fixtures: All outdoor light fixtures installed prior to January 1, 1985, that are equipped with a permanent automatic
shut-off device may remain unchanged, except that the subject light fixtures shall not be operated between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and
sunrise. All outdoor light fixtures installed prior to January 1, 1985,
that are not equipped with an automatic shut-off device may remain
unchanged. With respect to all outdoor light fixtures installed prior to
January 1, 1985, whether with an automatic shut-off device or not,
there shall be no change in use, replacement, structural alteration, or
restoration after discontinuance of use for a period of 12 consecutive
months, unless it thereafter conforms to the provisions of these
regulations.
1112.6.2. Fossil Fuel Light: Produced directly or indirectly by the combustion of natural gas or other utility-type fossil fuels.

ARTICLE 1112.7 OTHER EXEMPTIONS FROM OUTDOOR LIGHTING PROVISIONS:
1112.7.1. Bottom-Mounted Outdoor Advertising Lighting: Outdoor advertising sign boards which exceed 301 square feet per sign face and
consist of panels which are designed to be removed from the top of the
sign board are exempt from the provisions of this Ordinance if illuminated by an approved bottom-mounted outdoor advertising fixture
equipped with an automatic device which shuts off the fixture between
midnight and sunrise.
1112.7.2 Low Intensity Fixtures: Any outdoor lighting fixture which has a maximum candle power of less than 1,000 candelas is exempt from
these provisions, if equipped with an automatic device which shuts off
the fixture between the hours of midnight and sunrise.

ARTICLE 1112.8 PROCEDURES FOR COMPLIANCE:
1112.8.1. Applications:
MARICOPA COUNTY ZONING ORDINANCE
Chapter 11 – General Regulations
1. Any individual applying for a Zoning Clearance and intending to install outdoor lighting fixtures shall, as a part of said application, submit evidence that the proposed work will comply with provisions in this ordinance.
2. Utility companies providing a notarized affidavit in which they agree
to comply with the provisions of these regulations shall be exempt
from applying for and obtaining a permit for the installation of
outdoor light fixtures, including residential security lighting.
1112.8.2. Contents of Application or Submission: The submission shall contain, but shall not necessarily be limited to the following, all or part of which may be part of or in addition to the information required elsewhere in the zoning regulations upon application for the required permit:
1. Plans indicating the location on the premises, the type of illuminating devices, fixtures, lamps, supports and other devices, etc.
2. Description of the illuminating devices, fixtures, lamps, supports and other devices, etc. This description may include, but is not limited to, manufacturers' catalog cuts and/or drawings (including sections
where required).
3. The above required plans and descriptions shall be sufficiently complete to enable the Zoning Inspector to readily determine whether
compliance with the requirements of this Ordinance will be secured.
If such plans and descriptions cannot enable this ready determination
by reason of the nature or configuration of the devices, fixtures, or
lamps proposed, the applicant shall submit evidence of compliance by
certified test reports as performed by a recognized testing lab.

Tulsa's ordinance does a much better job adressing "Light Trespass" and glare, whereas Phoenix's mainly addresses uplight that threatens eco-tourism and observatories.  

These handouts might also be of use to your neighborhood group:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-12/1116161/kennebunkport_formula.gif
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-12/1116161/whatis_FCO.gif

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 11:27:26 am »

I was running errands last weekend around the area.  I was going to gas up at the 21st & Harvard QT, but every pump was taken.  I tried again after getting produce across the street- still full.  Went to the Dollar Tree, came back and finally got a pump.  That one stays very busy.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 11:47:21 am »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tulsa1603</i>

My apologies Patric, it was "Scottsdale" not "Phoenix".  I should have taken notes.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Oh NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
"Scottsdale" is the brand name of a gas station canopy light that has had one of the worst reputations for neighbor- and environmental friendliness.
http://lsiadapt.com/media/specsheets/pdf/scottsdale_pet.pdf

This fixture <b>will not comply with zoning</b> without significant architectural modifications to the canopy.

Another photo of the LSI "Scottsdale" fixture: http://www.rice-christ.com/lsi/lsi1.htm

LSI boasts "With the Scottsdale you’ll get exceptional lighting performance with better long-range visibility and greater impact on vertical surfaces." which is manufacturer-speak for "you will be able to see this light for blocks and lure more customers."
It's a technique called "Moth-Effect Marketing" where customers subconsciously associate brightness with safety and convenience, but it's not so great if you live nearby.

Ideally, canopy lighting should be recessed to eliminate glare and trespass, and should look similar to this:

http://www.lsi-industries.com/lighting_product.asp?ID=1646

A variety of manufacturers (LSI included) make recessed, shielded fixtures that are capable of complying with Tulsa's ordinance.  Some look like these:

More listed here:
http://www.darksky.org/lighting/fixtures/service-station-lighting-2.php
http://www.darksky.org/lighting/fixtures/service-station-lighting-3.php
http://www.lighting.philips.com/gl_en/petrol_station/index_undercanope_lighting_concepts.php?main=global&parent=6450&id=gl_en_petrol_station&lang=en

If installed properly, the Focused-lens (Spot) version of the "Scottsdale" <i>could</i> be in compliance with zoning, and I believe it may already be in use at the new Kum-N-Go on Riverside and the Creek Expressway:
http://www.lsi-industries.com/media/specsheets/pdf/scottsdale_recessed_pet.pdf

They should be submitting a lighting plan to TMAPC for approval, which should list the types of fixtures they intend to use as well as the Photometric report on how much light shines where.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 10:40:31 pm by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 12:03:34 pm »

Oh, and the "Scottsdale" is also used for "Security" lighting...

(photo of a frequently robbed convenience store)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 09:21:21 pm by patric » Logged

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2007, 12:12:30 pm »

I think we want to see our retail stores from space. Think of the untapped UFO market.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2007, 01:54:39 pm »

Maybe they want to help the flowers and vegetables across the street grow more.  My mother used bright lights on her African violets in this way when I was a kid.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2008, 09:28:45 pm »

I will say one thing positive about this particular QT -- they were the only ones fully operational for miles during the ice storm -- they had an industrial generator running on their north side where EMSA usually parks.  I think the credit card readers were on satellite internet as well, which was good when all the ATM's were down and cash was low.

OurTulsa
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2008, 10:56:57 pm »

QT filed their PUD application last week.  They hired Charles Norman; they know their in for a dog fight with the hood.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org