A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:33:49 pm
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "The American"  (Read 74442 times)
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2010, 12:22:08 pm »

Here's a good article from TBJ.   

He’s baaack: The American

Tulsa Business Staff
9/27/2010

Last week, a group of interested citizens, business leaders and local officials met at The Silo Event Center, 4501 W. 41st St., in an attempt to reinvigorate community support of The American, a 207-foot tall Native American statue proposed in 2004.

Designed by Shan Gray as an entry into the 2002 contest that would choose a statue to be placed on top of Oklahoma City’s Capitol dome (Gray, though he earned 53 percent of the public’s vote, lost the competition; the statue that sits atop the dome is a bronze Native American named “The Guardian” that was designed by Enoch Kelley Haney), The American is a bronze structure that features a Native American with his arm outstretched, on which is perched a bald eagle.

When the project was announced in 2004 as a tourist destination to be situated in northwest Tulsa’s Holmes Peak, the highest point in the city, the community quickly rallied around the idea. However, support soon fell off when the proposed project failed to materialize.

County Commissioner Karen Keith, who led last week’s meeting, said Gray had been approached by other cities to build The American, but local leaders and citizens want to keep the project in Tulsa.

Randy Dittmann, who, with his wife, Sandi, owns The Silo, said he was moved to act when he heard The American might be constructed elsewhere.

“We can’t lose it,” he said.

The American, if it is constructed, will not be constructed at Holmes Peak, as originally intended, and, although no site has yet been determined, Dittmann said he’d like to see it built in west Tulsa. He said its construction could also ensure the construction of the Gilcrease Expressway.

Gray said he couldn’t estimate a cost for the entire project, but the statue itself is projected to cost between $25 million and $30 million. Additional costs would be dependent on the site, he said.

The goal of the meeting, according to those present, was to drum up additional community support and get the interest — and pocketbooks — of some of the city’s foremost philanthropists. Gray said $10 million of investment will get the project off the ground. The artist also hopes to secure city support in the form of infrastructure around the statue.

Mark Snead, former director of the Center for Applied Economic Research at the Oklahoma State University Spears School of Business, conducted an economic impact study of The American and determined, upon opening, it would garner $36.5 illion in local tourism expenditures.
perspicuity85
« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2010, 03:18:31 am »

My sincere hope for this project is that the construction begins but is left half unfinished, running out of money just as the legs, crotch, and buttocks are finished.  Then, in order to re-coup costs, they will have to go ahead and put an observation tower in the crotch.  I can see the advertisments now: Package deal! Two tickets to The American observation tower, two hot dogs, and two sodas...
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2010, 02:22:18 pm »

My sincere hope for this project is that the construction begins but is left half unfinished, running out of money just as the legs, crotch, and buttocks are finished.  Then, in order to re-coup costs, they will have to go ahead and put an observation tower in the crotch.  I can see the advertisments now: Package deal! Two tickets to The American observation tower, two hot dogs, and two sodas...

I'll bet a lot of jocks would sign up for that.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2012, 07:03:14 pm »

Artist Shan Gray wasn't able to speak with us on camera but he does confirm he is focused on Sand Springs. He says it's a great city, full of great people, and is an ideal location for his statue.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2012, 08:09:21 pm »

http://www.newson6.com/story/17518238/sand-springs-hopes-for-21-story-statue-the-american

I hate to use it on two posts in a row, but it works:

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2012, 09:13:07 pm »

$han won’t $peak on camera?  Wonder why that i$?

Something about snake oil salesmen comes to mind.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2012, 06:05:51 am »

This statue just won't die

http://www.newson6.com/story/19995746/sand-springs-voters-to-decide-on-hike-in-motel-tax-for-the-american-statue

Edit:  woo hoo!   We're now in the half of the year when the time stamps of the posts are correct
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 07:13:19 am by BKDotCom » Logged
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2012, 08:35:20 am »

I have really started to like Sand Springs - it "feels" like a different town than when I was growing up.  But now they have this idiot mayor....geez, people!  What is in those springs that they are drinking to get this guy?

I also really like the idea of having that statue built, but a million and a half people per year??  Making this a major destination due to the statue?  We already have quite a few "destinations" that I consider more major than this, and we still hear the lament about how relatively few those bring in without conventions, etc to get people here.  Somewhere, sometime, we are going to have to face the facts.  We are not Orlando, or Anaheim, or Estes Park.  We have some really great stuff, but we are not and are not likely to be a major vacation/tourist destination.  We are a bigger version of the tourist sites of interest that people used to stop to look at along the way, as they are going to and fro - if they happen to be here for some event, or happen to stop here during their travels.   The type of tourist who used to stop at Nickerson Farms....  And that can be - and I think is - very good.

Another 'blue whale' or worlds largest totem pole is not gonna build a major destination.  And how many people specifically come to Tulsa to see Philbrook or Gilcrease - I am sure there are some...maybe even many, but as good as they are - I love them both - they are NOT major destinations.

Quick question - just curious;  how many regulars (or irregulars) here have been out to see - in a reasonable past time frame, say the last 5 to 10 years;
- the worlds largest totem pole
- Woolaroc
- Tallgrass prairie
- Round barn at Arcadia
- Popz
- Eagle sanctuary during breeding season

« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 08:39:57 am by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2012, 09:10:57 am »

Here's my concept of the gift shop version of the statue:

And we know the demographic of possible buyers:

Ed

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2012, 10:44:56 am »

Here's my concept of the gift shop version of the statue:

And we know the demographic of possible buyers:

Be nice!

Have a Snickers!  Ya get a little angry when you're hungry....

Oh, wait...that's probably me that gets a little angry... you are always pretty mellow.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2012, 11:37:48 am »

Be nice!

Have a Snickers!  Ya get a little angry when you're hungry....

When I'm hungry, I get a little bit cranky.  Kinda like this guy:

Ed

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2012, 10:40:48 am »

My thought is that this thing only works if it is visible from one or more of the major highways in Tulsa or becomes part of one of the major museums.  You cant just tuck it away in the norther part of a suburb and expect people to go out of their way to see it.  The only place tucked away that it might work would be Gilcrease because it gets traffic in and of itself. 
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2012, 03:22:07 pm »

My thought is that this thing only works if it is visible from one or more of the major highways in Tulsa or becomes part of one of the major museums.  You cant just tuck it away in the norther part of a suburb and expect people to go out of their way to see it.  The only place tucked away that it might work would be Gilcrease because it gets traffic in and of itself. 

Probably true.  Has to be like Devil's Tower in Wyoming - you can see it for a while and let the kids generate enough torture for the parents that they HAVE to stop and see it.  Must be seen from I-44.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2012, 04:53:12 pm »

Very few places draw tourists for one attraction.  Usually it is a combination that makes people come.  OKC draws events because they have enough other stuff in a compact area (convention center, arena, bricktown, gardens, memorial, hotels, movies, some shopping).  A convention, basketball tournament, or whatever is more likely to come and come back if the destination has other things to do (hence the convention/whatever will continue to draw people too).

Memphis has Beal street, Elvis, and historical things to go along with the Forum.  KC built the Power and Light to compliment everything else (Union station, WWI, river boats, bbq).  Few places have one thing.

The American would be one more thing.  I hope it would be the draw they say, but realistically i think it would be one more reason to come and/or a to-do for those already coming.

Cliche as it may be, i still hope it gets built.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2012, 07:55:29 am »

Cliche as it may be, i still hope it gets built.

I agree.  Maybe the owner of the Abundant Life building could donate the property.  Those bordering homes wouldn't mind walking in their back yard and looking up a giant loin cloth.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 08:04:06 am by Townsend » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org