A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.
 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 22, 2017, 03:51:56 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "The American"  (Read 22300 times)
osupokie
Guest
« on: May 30, 2007, 08:12:24 pm »

So has anyone herd any updates about the American statue?  If my guess is correct we have probably let this awesome attraction slip through our fingers.
Logged
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder
******
Offline Offline

Posts: 15989


Inconceivable!


WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 08:42:00 pm »

Tulsa did everything to help the project. They still need more financial support from the private sector which is what this project is, a private venture.

There was some news a while back, saying they were still progressing, just slowly.
Logged
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder
******
Offline Offline

Posts: 12861


« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 10:32:19 pm »

I think they will raise just enough to build three quarters of a statue...maybe missing a head and arms.

It will be renamed "The Tulsa Torso".
Logged

Power is nothing till you use it.
TulsaEx
Guest
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 08:47:33 pm »

Latest newslink:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=070425_1_A11_spanc25263
Logged
Rico
Guest
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 09:09:06 pm »

One short note on all of this...

 As this is a "For Profit Venture that Issues shares... stock.. what ever you wish to call your resale ownership in the company" there would be certain filings required by the SEC...

Might be a more accurate tracking method than the official statement...?

Logged
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder
******
Offline Offline

Posts: 9160



« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 08:11:48 am »

If it is a privately or closely held corporation they do not have the same filing requirements as a publicly traded company.  Since their capital appears to be under $30,000,000.00 they certainly are considered privately held.   I do not believe their SEC filings will be public (if they are actually registered with the SEC.  If they keep their shareholders to a minimum they could be filed with the SOS of Oklahoma).

/still excited to see the giant naked Indian rise.  If it is a pink elephant, at least its a privately funded one.  If nothing else, it is something to do for the people that come to Tulsa.  I don't think it will be a reason to come here... but coupled with the Zoo, aquarium, museums, the gardens that are coming and other attractions it will help make Tulsa a place to stay for the weekend after your (insert event here).   That's a start.
Logged

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Rico
Guest
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 01:07:41 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

If it is a privately or closely held corporation they do not have the same filing requirements as a publicly traded company.  Since their capital appears to be under $30,000,000.00 they certainly are considered privately held.   I do not believe their SEC filings will be public (if they are actually registered with the SEC.  If they keep their shareholders to a minimum they could be filed with the SOS of Oklahoma).

/still excited to see the giant naked Indian rise.  If it is a pink elephant, at least its a privately funded one.  If nothing else, it is something to do for the people that come to Tulsa.  I don't think it will be a reason to come here... but coupled with the Zoo, aquarium, museums, the gardens that are coming and other attractions it will help make Tulsa a place to stay for the weekend after your (insert event here).   That's a start.



Thank You for the info ... Is it privately held with the share? price of 500K... Makes the price of "Berkshire A" look appealing aye...!

This share? of the company can be sold by the individual at a later date...For a profit??
Logged
Rico
Guest
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 08:02:59 am »

What is missing from this article...?

There never has been any formal endorsement and in this case acknowledgment of the "American"...?
Am I the only one that finds that strange...?





Ceremony Blesses Future Garden Site



Ray Tuttle
4/30/2007

Representatives of the Osage Nation conducted a ceremony to bless the land Monday April 30 for the Oklahoma Centennial Botanical Garden.

The land is an untouched landscape of contrasts — open spaces framed by patches of woodland, rolling hills, wildflowers, swaying grasses and oak trees.

Some of the trees were acorns when the Osage Nation first began settling the area in 1880s.

About 200 watched a John D. Red Eagle, assistant principal chief to the Osage Nation, conducted the ceremony.

The botanical gardens, with 15 major gardens encompassing at least 60 smaller gardens and dozens of special features and structures, sits on a 215-acre site on Persimmon Ridge in the Cross Timbers. The region is where the eastern forests meet the western grassland.

The planned $40 million Oklahoma Centennial Botanical Garden is being developed in Osage County 7 miles northwest of downtown Tulsa.

When completed, the major and specialty gardens will surround a 17-acre lake with two islands of oriental gardens, said Pearl Garrison, spokesman.

Other features will include a visitor center, 3,000-seat amphitheater, interfaith chapel, and education building.

Fund-raising is underway in the private and public sector, said Pat Woodrum, executive director.

"We have $1.2 million from the Oklahoma Centennial. We are asking the Legislature for $15 million this session and we have just launched a $15 million private-sector funding campaign," Woodrum said.
Logged
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder
******
Offline Offline

Posts: 12861


« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 09:14:15 am »

I still think the idea of a bunch of three story statues around town to complement the Golden Driller would be more fun.

A golfer out by Southern Hills, a zookeeper near Mohawk, a fisherman in the river, Pistol Pete by OSU-Tulsa, etc.

That would get the tourists to get off the highway.
Logged

Power is nothing till you use it.
Rico
Guest
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 09:56:08 pm »

^

If you put neon lights on them... Add a few more Casinos and voila "Glitter Gulch" revisited..

[8D]
Logged
MichaelC
Guest
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 03:01:56 pm »

Today, I got word back on an email from "The American" staff.  Minus pleasantries and names, here it is:

"Our projected goal is to complete the first of two phases of fundraising this fall/winter 2007. If successful, we will begin construction of the statue at that point. Construction of support facilities will follow in the second phase of fundraising. There is a four - six (4-6) month start-up phase with construction of the statue, so evidence of the statue construction would not be visible immediately, probably not until around May of 2008. We plan to have a groundbreaking when construction officially begins.
 
I hope that answers your question.  If not, just let me know and I will attempt to answer your question more fully."
Logged
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder
******
Offline Offline

Posts: 9160



« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 03:30:05 pm »

Thanks for your research Michael... good to see that they are moving along.  It will be interesting to see that thing when it opens.  Not to mention, I'm interested to see how a private venture like this pans out in general, let alone in my town!
Logged

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Neptune
Guest
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2008, 11:17:27 am »

From KTUL

quote:
Tulsa - Developers of a proposed 21-story, $36 million bronze monument of an American Indian warrior say it will likely move to a larger location.

Tulsa city councilors learned this week that the 207-foot-tall monument, initially proposed for Holmes Peak in Osage County, is moving to a larger, 300-acre site 3 1/2 miles away.

Plans to build "The American," one of the world's largest freestanding bronze monuments with an observation area, were first announced in March 2004.

Melanie Gray, wife of Oklahoma sculptor Shan Gray, says moving the project to a new site was a "possibility" because the footprint of the project had grown.

Gray says the topography of the Holmes Peak site is limited in space, making it difficult to ensure that the venue would work appropriately.
Logged
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder
******
Offline Offline

Posts: 15989


Inconceivable!


WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2008, 01:37:35 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Neptune

From KTUL

quote:
Tulsa - Developers of a proposed 21-story, $36 million bronze monument of an American Indian warrior say it will likely move to a larger location.

Tulsa city councilors learned this week that the 207-foot-tall monument, initially proposed for Holmes Peak in Osage County, is moving to a larger, 300-acre site 3 1/2 miles away.

Plans to build "The American," one of the world's largest freestanding bronze monuments with an observation area, were first announced in March 2004.

Melanie Gray, wife of Oklahoma sculptor Shan Gray, says moving the project to a new site was a "possibility" because the footprint of the project had grown.

Gray says the topography of the Holmes Peak site is limited in space, making it difficult to ensure that the venue would work appropriately.




That, plus the people in charge of Holmes Peak said they had no chance of ever getting the thing built and cancelled their land option...
Logged
patric
T-Town Elder
******
Offline Offline

Posts: 6328


These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For


« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2008, 01:48:18 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

That, plus the people in charge of Holmes Peak said they had no chance of ever getting the thing built and cancelled their land option...


Werent there already infrastructure improvements made at taxpayer expense?
Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

 
  Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
 

Mission

 

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

 

Contact

 

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org