A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:25:20 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The new Tulsa World  (Read 4131 times)
citizen72
Civic Leader

« on: June 07, 2007, 10:03:31 am »

Looks a bit like a tabloid with its smaller size. Really miss the old days of two papers in town.

^^^^^

"Never a skillful sailor made who always sailed calm seas."
TulsaSooner
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 10:07:01 am »

I think this change isn't unique to the TW, I would imagine it's an industry-wide thing.  I'm sure they must be realizing some cost savings.

The Wall Street Journal did this some time ago, for example.
Steve
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 09:55:38 am »

quote:
Originally posted by citizen72

Looks a bit like a tabloid with its smaller size. Really miss the old days of two papers in town.

Me too; I subscribed to the Tribune for years because I enjoyed the evening paper when I came home from work.  I only switched to the World when there was no longer an option.  I am not crazy about the smaller size, but beggars can't be choosers.  Wanna bet subscription rates don't shrink, to go along with the smaller physical size?  They will probably claim the newsprint cost savings will allow them to hold rates the same, at least for 6 months or so.  

Methinks that the old farts like myself that enjoy an actual newspaper in hand are a dying breed.  Pity.
Rowdy
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 10:04:32 am »

People still buy newspapers?
Steve
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 10:18:48 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Rowdy

People still buy newspapers?

Believe it or not, a few of us still do.  I fork out $200 every October (as of last renewal) for my daily home delivered newspaper, and have done so every 30+ years of my adult life.

Some people like their $5 cup of Starbucks (or other) coffee every morning, I like my newspaper in hand.  I can buy enough coffee at the grocery store for $5 to make 100+ cups at home, thank you.  I have never even been in a Starbucks.  Go figure.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 12:13:33 pm »

/me buys the paper.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Steve
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 12:28:33 pm »

I guess it must be an age/generational thing, especially in these days of the internet.  Demographics must show that the older you are, the more likely you are to subscribe to a daily newspaper.  I am "only" 50 (this Oct.), but to not have my daily local paper would just be unthinkable to me.  I still grumble mighty loud when I write that annual $200 subscription check (plus gratuity of course to my carrier), but I simply can't imagine not having a local newspaper.  Why, it would be like a day without sunshine (to coin a phrase.)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 01:52:20 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by ricecake

The new smaller size caused me to go buy Tweety a smaller birdcage.

Clever post of the day! [Wink]

Yes, I down-sized from a Border Collie to a Yorkie.

[Wink]

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hometown
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 02:29:58 pm »

Cheap seems to be their guiding principle.

Have you noticed how they have one or two file pictures of public figures and they run them forever.  

My nephew is in a popular local band and the World has an old photo of the group from five yeas ago that they have run 100 times.  They have new band members, a new look, and they've grown up, buy hey a penny saved is a penny earned.

We laugh about how we see major local news stories in national media and then find that is not covered in Oklahoma print or broadcast media.  Why?  Because local media doesn't have the bureaus, writers or photographers to cover it.

Cheap is just about the bottom line in everything around here -- except for the retail price.  Sad.  Boring.

Recently I've been wondering if the Daily Oklahoman has a Tulsa Bureau?  Maybe it's a better paper.  Wonder if I could get home delivery?

Now look at the Dallas Morning News.  That's a newspaper.  Not a great one, but better than ours.

Wilbur
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 03:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Steve

quote:

Me too; I subscribed to the Tribune for years because I enjoyed the evening paper when I came home from work.  I only switched to the World when there was no longer an option.  I am not crazy about the smaller size, but beggars can't be choosers.  Wanna bet subscription rates don't shrink, to go along with the smaller physical size?  They will probably claim the newsprint cost savings will allow them to hold rates the same, at least for 6 months or so.  

Methinks that the old farts like myself that enjoy an actual newspaper in hand are a dying breed.  Pity.

Everyone does know the Tulsa World can be viewed on their website in .pdf format for free, like you are actually holding the newspaper.  I suppose you could cuddle up with the laptop and your cup of coffee.
Steve
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 04:54:36 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Wilbur

quote:
Originally posted by Steve

quote:

Everyone does know the Tulsa World can be viewed on their website in .pdf format for free, like you are actually holding the newspaper.  I suppose you could cuddle up with the laptop and your cup of coffee.

I guess it is just a sign of my age and eccentricity, but nothing can replace that newsprint in my hand.  The first thing I do in the morning, after plugging in the percolator (yes, the percolator!) is to go out and retrieve the paper from my driveway.  Old habits die hard.
blindnil
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2007, 07:46:39 am »

The Daily Oklahoman is considered one of the worst papers in the country by the industry, while the Tulsa World is considered one of the best. This town - including the TV stations wouldn't know about 80 percent of what's going on without the paper and yet people still complain. It's the bane that is being the local newspaper.
Johnboy976
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2007, 02:13:22 pm »

I don't care how good national organizations say the TW is, I can still pick out the typos.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org