A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:04:13 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OKC taking public comment on a MAPS 3  (Read 5074 times)
Transport_Oklahoma
Civic Leader

« on: January 21, 2007, 09:13:40 pm »

Mayor Mick Cornett and the OKC City Council have introduced a website to take comments on what might be in a possible MAPS 3.

The Mayor has already suggested it might have a transit component.

SoonerRiceGrad
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 08:13:54 pm »

I really think that the people of OKC would really support light rail. Everyone I've talked to about it that I casually know is all for it.
OKC_Shane
Civic Leader

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 03:40:08 pm »

I think the Mayor really wants to see rail transit on MAPS 3. During the State of the City, when he announced MAPS 3, he also made comments like "That dependence on the automobile is not all bad. . . . But we are kidding ourselves if we think this is sustainable." and "In the coming years, we will need to accelerate the conversation and move into action. We cannot ignore our public transformation problems forever. The study and research is done. Now, we as a regional community need to be thinking long-term about implementation."

This is really great for a super popular official like Cornett to be saying things like this. People in OKC have been drooling over everything Cornett says since 2005, and if he's pushing rail, I think people are more likely to get behind it. And the fact that someone is really talking about implementation- not only studies and feasibility, but region-wide implementation, financing, etc of a new transit system, that's good for both OKC and Tulsa.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 03:51:46 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by OKC_Shane

I think the Mayor really wants to see rail transit on MAPS 3. During the State of the City, when he announced MAPS 3, he also made comments like "That dependence on the automobile is not all bad. . . . But we are kidding ourselves if we think this is sustainable." and "In the coming years, we will need to accelerate the conversation and move into action. We cannot ignore our public transformation problems forever. The study and research is done. Now, we as a regional community need to be thinking long-term about implementation."

This is really great for a super popular official like Cornett to be saying things like this. People in OKC have been drooling over everything Cornett says since 2005, and if he's pushing rail, I think people are more likely to get behind it. And the fact that someone is really talking about implementation- not only studies and feasibility, but region-wide implementation, financing, etc of a new transit system, that's good for both OKC and Tulsa.

He’s so “super popular” that he couldn’t even win his party’s nomination for an OKC area congressional seat.

Come on, “drooling over”? Crazy “the Marlins are coming” Mary Fallin beat him.
OKC_Shane
Civic Leader

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 07:32:23 pm »

Many people believed that Cornett's popularity as mayor of Oklahoma City made voters in central Oklahoma not want to vote for him. They didn't want him to go to Washington, they wanted him to stay in Oklahoma City.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 07:41:58 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by OKC_Shane

Many people believed that Cornett's popularity as mayor of Oklahoma City made voters in central Oklahoma not want to vote for him. They didn't want him to go to Washington, they wanted him to stay in Oklahoma City.

Cite a single source that backs that up. Even the Jokelahoman wouldn't print that crap, and they print a lot of crap.

TStheThird
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 12:38:51 am »

Well, he was re-elected as mayor with the highest percentage ever in OKC... I believe.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 08:36:54 am »

quote:
Originally posted by TStheThird

Well, he was re-elected as mayor with the highest percentage ever in OKC... I believe.

You don’t have city elections in Oklahoma City, you have anointments by the Gaylord family. Non-partisan elections with almost zero turn-out means the political machine is alive and well down the turnpike. But, place those “super popular” officials in real elections with real political parties and they have not fared so well. Cornett couldn’t muster 40% in a congressional primary and the guy before that (his name escapes me) wasn’t ever even a factor in his own party when he ran for governor.
okcpulse
Civic Leader

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 09:51:52 pm »

I believe the topic of this thread was MAPS 3, not Mayor Cornett's bout with his bid in Washington.  Regardless of how he fared in your so-called "real elections" he has done good for Oklahoma City.  And if you believe that the Gaylords "anoint" city officials in OKC, I don't ever remember Ron Norick having strong ties with the Gaylords.

Swake, since you are so set on citing sources, I want to see some sources that support your argument.  Use the Tulsa Whirled as a reference.  They print a lot of crap too.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 10:32:04 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by okcpulse

I believe the topic of this thread was MAPS 3, not Mayor Cornett's bout with his bid in Washington.  Regardless of how he fared in your so-called "real elections" he has done good for Oklahoma City.  And if you believe that the Gaylords "anoint" city officials in OKC, I don't ever remember Ron Norick having strong ties with the Gaylords.

Swake, since you are so set on citing sources, I want to see some sources that support your argument.  Use the Tulsa Whirled as a reference.  They print a lot of crap too.

Bite me

Cornett was elected based on an endorsement by the Jokelahoman on a turnout of 14,000 voters in a city of 540,000.

You want sources about him and Kirk? I have a couple:

http://www.newsok.com/article/2835162

Lt. Gov. Mary Fallin’s first-place finish in the July 25 Republican primary for Oklahoma’s 5th District seat, with 35 percent of the vote, didn’t automatically make her the front-runner for her Aug. 22 runoff against Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett, who took 24 percent in the first round.
But the endorsements Fallin received Monday from all four of the other candidates who ran in the primary — and who received a combined 41 percent of the vote — may do the trick.
In order of their finish in the primary, state Corporation Commissioner Denise Bode, state Reps. Kevin Calvey and Fred Morgan, and surgeon Johnny Roy rallied together behind Fallin, who is competing for the seat that seven-term Republican Rep. Ernest Istook left open to run for governor.
“I believe the highly ethical manner in which Mary ran her campaign speaks volumes to her ability to lead,” Bode said in a statement Monday. “Mary Fallin has worked hard, knocked on doors, and has studied the issues facing Oklahoma voters, and I believe she will continue that tradition when she goes to Washington.”

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-gop/1676022/posts

Lt. Gov. Mary Fallin, Corporation Commissioner Denise Bode, state Rep. Fred Morgan and state Rep. Kevin Calvey all authorized a press statement that accuses Cornett of deception,

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4182/is_20060608/ai_n16482301

Many people close to city government have privately expressed disappointment and dismay over how Mayor Mick Cornett is handling himself politically, yet there has been little public discussion.

http://www.okgazette.com/news/anmviewer.asp?a=573&print=yes

Kirk Humphreys (born 1950) is a former Mayor of Oklahoma City. He was a heavily funded candidate of the Republican party establishment for U.S. Senator in 2004, losing to former Congressman Tom Coburn, MD , by 61% to 25% in the primary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirk_Humphreys

Coburn won a bitter Republican primary that included charges of double-crosses and shady land deals. He handily beat former Oklahoma City Mayor Kirk Humphreys, who started out as the favorite but garnered only 25 percent.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/elections/2004/ok/
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 10:41:38 pm »

That all said, I hope you do something worthwhile with MAP3
okcpulse
Civic Leader

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 08:40:14 am »

I never liked Kirk Humphreys.  He was successful in passing MAPS for Kids and finishing the original MAPS, but as a political personality, no, I didn't like him.  

But Mayor Mick Cornett is smart to involve the people of OKC in MAPS 3.  I still travel to OKC often, and I have yet to find anyone complain about Mick Cornett.  In my view, if there was a mayor in office I liked, I wouldn't vote for him as congressman for the fact that he will be influenced by backward crooked politics in Washington, D.C.  And, I wouldn't want some nutjob taking his seat as mayor and screwing things up.

Transport_Oklahoma
Civic Leader

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 03:21:31 am »

And the survey is now closed.  Looks good for transit.

Here is what the Oklahoman had to say about it.

http://www.maps3.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org