A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:09:30 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1957 Plymouth dig up  (Read 110092 times)
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2007, 09:15:21 am »

It is important that when they do a time capsule they keep good records of it and have multi-records in other places as a back-up so it won't be forgot... and up date those records everytime they upgrade computer systems, so it won't be lost. Back in the 1990's in Columbus, Ohio some const. workers came across a lost time capsule as they were tearing down a building, no one knew anything about it and the contents were all ruined and wet. They think it was from the early 1900's.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2007, 09:33:43 am »

quote:
Originally posted by sauerkraut

It is important that when they do a time capsule they keep good records of it and have multi-records in other places as a back-up so it won't be forgot... and up date those records everytime they upgrade computer systems, so it won't be lost. Back in the 1990's in Columbus, Ohio some const. workers came across a lost time capsule as they were tearing down a building, no one knew anything about it and the contents were all ruined and wet. They think it was from the early 1900's.

I remember hearing years ago that it was common for the cornerstone of a building to be hollow and to be used as a time capsule.  The construction workers, owner, contractor, etc. would all put items in from the day.

I don't know if that's true or urban legend, but that would mean there are a lot more time capsules out there.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Steve
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2007, 11:52:56 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

I remember hearing years ago that it was common for the cornerstone of a building to be hollow and to be used as a time capsule.  The construction workers, owner, contractor, etc. would all put items in from the day.

I don't know if that's true or urban legend, but that would mean there are a lot more time capsules out there.

Yes, I think that was not an uncommon practice, but usually done with common things like newspapers or proclamation certificates, not a full-sized automobile.

Now, I heard once about this crew that was tearing down an old skyscraper.  In the hollow cornerstone they found this box, and in the box was an alive frog with a beautiful, human singing voice!  "Hello, Ma Baby!  Hello, Ma Honey!  Hello, Ma Ragtime Gal..."
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2007, 08:59:54 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Steve

quote:

Yes, I think that was not an uncommon practice, but usually done with common things like newspapers or proclamation certificates, not a full-sized automobile.

Now, I heard once about this crew that was tearing down an old skyscraper.  In the hollow cornerstone they found this box, and in the box was an alive frog with a beautiful, human singing voice!  "Hello, Ma Baby!  Hello, Ma Honey!  Hello, Ma Ragtime Gal..."

I heard that too, that tune was also sung in the old movie "Rollercoaster" from 1976 staring George Segal, as he was chasing the bad guy thru a amusement park he came upon a bunch of frogs singing that tune. I think they did put alot of time capsules in the corner stones of buildings in the past, but I don't think they still do that.

Rico
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2007, 09:32:18 am »

^
Steve wrote

"Yes, I think that was not an uncommon practice, but usually done with common things like newspapers or proclamation certificates, not a full-sized automobile."

So that's what happened to Jimmy Hoffa......
[}:)]
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2007, 10:43:18 am »

quote:

quote:

That was a cute cartoon.  I remember that one as well.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Steve
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2007, 01:13:43 pm »

quote:

quote:

quote:

That was a cute cartoon.  I remember that one as well.

"One Froggy Evening"  Warner Bros. 1957, I believe.  1957 must have been a good year for cartoons and burying cars.  And births too, since that was the year I was born.  I wonder now if either of my parents entered the contest to win the car; they both died 30+ years ago so if they entered and won, the car would go to me and my brother.  I think they are going to publish the list of entries in the World, retrieved from the microfilm if still readable.

Maybe that frog will hop out of the trunk of the 1957 Plymouth when they open it up and give us a show!
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2007, 09:44:52 am »

Hey gang on another forum they were talking that some people "in the know" were saying that the vault is flooded, most posters on that forum think it's just a rumor, but the word is/was that someone did a "sounding" on the vault and found it full of water, and another rumor is that when they dug down to it last week to do some prep. work on the vault lid someone drilled a small hole and sliped a camera in there to look. I don't believe none of that, I'd bet, and my money is on the old heap being dry and showroom new. (It's also sealed in a plastic air tight bag too)-- Anyhoo, just thought I'd mention that and wonder if anyone else heard about such stuff. thanx.

sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2007, 09:55:41 am »

Steve- That will be something if ya won the car, would ya keep it, or have it re-buried for another 50 years? Did your parents ever mention the car? If not it's not likely they made any guess to win it.. What if the microfilm is no long readable do they have any back up plans on what to do with the car?- I know it won't be me who wins the car, I lived in Michigan in 1957 and I was only 2 years old at the time. My parents never were in Tulsa. I'm outta the mix. I wonder how many people guessed, and what source will be used to get Tulsa's 2007 population? Tulsa lost population these past few years..I hope they decide to re-bury the heap for another future generation to enjoy in 2057.

sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2007, 09:59:11 am »

This car will be worth a ton of money if it comes out showroom new. I can see court cases involving siblings or next of kin fighting over the ownership of the car should the person who guessed the wining population be dead. People may even fight over close population guesses and numbers and population sources.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2007, 10:23:52 am »

quote:

This car will be worth a ton of money if it comes out showroom new. I can see court cases involving siblings or next of kin fighting over the ownership of the car should the person who guessed the wining population be dead. People may even fight over close population guesses and numbers and population sources.

It's worth $16,800 in #1 condition.  There are some adds for the 318 engine, A/C and PW.  Maximum adds would give the car about another 45% in value, or roughly $23K

http://www.collectorcarmarket.com/menus/ccmprcs/57plbere.htm

There would be some subjectivity which comes into play when it comes to being 100% and having (I'd guess) less than 100 miles on it.

$20 to $50K tops, assuming it's well-preserved.

It's not like a '57 Corvette with fuel injection, just not as desireable.

I guess it all depends on what someone deems as a "ton of money".

Steve
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2007, 11:23:19 am »

quote:

Steve- That will be something if ya won the car, would ya keep it, or have it re-buried for another 50 years? Did your parents ever mention the car? If not it's not likely they made any guess to win it.. What if the microfilm is no long readable do they have any back up plans on what to do with the car?- I know it won't be me who wins the car, I lived in Michigan in 1957 and I was only 2 years old at the time. My parents never were in Tulsa. I'm outta the mix. I wonder how many people guessed, and what source will be used to get Tulsa's 2007 population? Tulsa lost population these past few years..I hope they decide to re-bury the heap for another future generation to enjoy in 2057.

My family moved to Tulsa in the early spring 1957 from Dallas.  Dad had joined the Sisk & Wakefield Insurance agency in Tulsa.  Sisk later merged with Marsh & McLennan Insurance, now just called "Marsh."  Dad was a VP with Marsh & McLennan when he suddenly died in Jan. 1971 from a heart attack.  I don't know if my parents entered the buried car contest; I don't recall them ever speaking about it, but I have known about this buried treasure since I was a small child.  I guess the only sure answer lies with the microfilm buried in the car.  As far as I know, the only record of the contest entries is buried inside the car.  Just to see their names among the list of contest entries would be a big thrill for me, whether or not it is the winning entry.

If my parent's entry is the winning one, the car would belong to me and my brother jointly, so its fate would not be my sole decision.  I would prefer to donate it the the Tulsa Historical Society, if they would preserve it and keep it in climate-controlled display for the Tulsa public.  If they did not want it, I would probably sell to a collector at the highest bidding.  I think the chances are small that my parents even entered the contest, but I am dying to find out.

I think the rumors you heard about the vault being flooded are just unfounded rumors.  They did uncover the top of the vault about a month ago to check the condition, and then covered it back up.  No cracks, damage, or evidence of excess ground water was found from the top excavation.  No holes were drilled or cameras inserted into the vault.  Just wild hearsay and rumor.  No one really knows until June 15, 2007.

The winning guess will be the June 1, 2007 U.S. Census Bureau's estimate of the City of Tulsa population.  I assume that is just the city limits proper, and not the SMSA.  I have not seen the official estimate, I assume it will be published along with the list of contest entries.
Steve
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2007, 11:34:23 am »

quote:

quote:

It's worth $16,800 in #1 condition.  There are some adds for the 318 engine, A/C and PW.  Maximum adds would give the car about another 45% in value, or roughly $23K

http://www.collectorcarmarket.com/menus/ccmprcs/57plbere.htm

There would be some subjectivity which comes into play when it comes to being 100% and having (I'd guess) less than 100 miles on it.

$20 to $50K tops, assuming it's well-preserved.

It's not like a '57 Corvette with fuel injection, just not as desireable.

I guess it all depends on what someone deems as a "ton of money".

Assuming the car is in top shape, it may be worth 2 times or more the value of any other mint 1957 Belevedere, just because of the history and provenance as Tulsa's SemiCentennial buried car.  It will be fascinating how this thing unfolds in the next few months.  I just pray it is not a heap of rust.

From my point of view, this seems to be just about the biggest thing to hit Tulsa in many, many years.  I understand news organizations from all over the world will be here for the unveiling.  It is really nice for Tulsa to have some good, positive publicity for a change, and not be in the news for lost jobs, how fat we are, or our high rate of addiction to nicotine!
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2007, 09:17:55 am »

I think this car will be worth alot more than any book value, this car is brand new, all origional even the exaust system is showroom-factory new, the car should have hardly any miles on it. The seats, carpet, floor mats are all factory new & clean it should have everything a new 1957 car would of had in it's day except the new car smell.. Something like this classic bured car being dug up is rare. It's not done offten anyplace. Most time capsules are just full of nick-nacks and newspapers, and the like,- this car also would have an history as being buried & world-famous I think it'll be worth around $40,000 or more. People from around the world are coming to Tulsa to see this dig up.[Smiley]

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2007, 08:02:22 pm »

Was it necessary to open the capsule ahead of time and inventory the contents?  Was there something embarrassing inside?

...and if I take pictures are they gonna come get me?  [Shocked)]

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org