A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:34:53 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Tulsa's Next Police Chief....  (Read 57802 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2007, 01:31:32 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

quote:
Originally posted by rwarn17588

Geez, the morning show crew seems to be grinding their axes against gays, aren't they?

Yeah, gamblers, drunks, gluttons, deadbeats, and patrons of t***y bars kind of dropped off the map of KFAQ "sins" last year.  Wonder why that is? [Tongue]

So basically all KFAQ does is self-deprecating hostility? Since Delgiorno did all of those whilce complaining about them, does that mean someone on the show now is gay?
tulsa_fan
Civic Leader

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2007, 01:39:09 pm »

Surely you don't believe EVERYTHING you read do you?  I'm sure we could find a an officer that would say the exact thing about our leadership, heck probably many.  Here's what Detroit's website says about her, so maybe somewhere in between is what is truth.  How is the department ever going to get it together if they shot down a candidate before they ever get the chance to speak.  I don't agree with a lot of what Mayor Taylor does, but I do believe she is looking for the best candidate that will improve our City, if she read this bio, I think anyone could see why she'd at least be interested.  

Ella M. Bully-Cummings, Esq.
Chief of Police

Biography

Appointed to the position of Chief of Police on November 3, 2003, by The Honorable Kwame M. Kilpatrick, Mayor of the City of Detroit, Ella M. Bully-Cummings became the first female police chief for the Detroit Police Department in its 138-year history. Active in law enforcement over the past 29 years, Chief Bully-Cummings joined the Detroit Police Department on July 18, 1977, at the age of 19. She is responsible for the 10th largest police department in the nation which consists of 3,700 sworn and civilian employees and an annual budget of over $414 million. Chief Bully-Cummings is responsible for providing police services to more than 950,000 residents; over 10,000 businesses; and 258 schools in the city of Detroit, which spans 138.7 square miles.

Under her leadership, in 2004, the Detroit Police Department realized the greatest reduction in major crimes in 41 years, and a record reduction of 15.2% in violent crimes. Chief Bully-Cummings attributes this success to having a committed police force and an engaged community—through police interaction, and implementing innovative crime reduction strategies. Chief Bully-Cummings states that holding her command staff accountable greatly increased the efficiency and effectiveness of operations. During her tenure, the Department reduced overtime use by 40%, totaling $8 million.

In 2005, Chief Bully-Cummings reduced the number of police lawsuits filed involving police chases by 25%—by changing the Department’s chase policy; reduced the number of on-duty police accidents by 24%; completed construction of a new state of the art communications center; acquired the 800MHz radios, which are department-issued to each officer; reduced bank robberies by 49%; increased narcotic confiscations by 121% with a street value increase of 60%; and implemented the department’s first Spanish Speaking Academy to enlighten the Hispanic community on the operations of the police department. Additionally, when faced with a $113 million budget reduction that included the layoff of 150 police officers, Chief Bully-Cummings implemented a restructuring plan, which merged 12 precincts into 6 districts, increased the number of police officers on patrol from 64% to 71% through the merger and reallocating officers from desk/administrative functions, and, concurrently, increased the number of police officers available to answer calls for service from 73% to 90%.

In 2006, Chief Bully-Cummings was responsible for coordinating the public safety component for one of the largest event attractions in the world, Super Bowl XL. Detroit received national acclaim for its success. A new Police District (station) became fully operational in February 2006. This is the first police station built in Detroit since 1991. A state of the art armored (ballistic) carrier was purchased for the department’s Special Response Team (SRT) for use during barricaded gunpersons incidents and the execution of high risk violent felony warrants and narcotic raids. Due to her focus on quality narcotic enforcement, she netted nearly $40 million in narcotic confiscations (drugs and proceeds), resulting from four narcotic raids during a three-month period.

Chief Bully-Cummings received a Bachelor of Arts with Honors in Public Administration from Madonna University (Detroit), and a Juris Doctor Cum Laude from the Detroit College of Law at Michigan State University in January 1998, and was sworn in to the State Bar of Michigan on May 19, 1998.

Chief Bully-Cummings is a member of the State Bar of Michigan, National Bar Association, Wolverine Bar Association, Executive Committee of the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP), Board of Directors for the Police Executive Research Forum (PERF), National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives (NOBLE), Major Cities Chiefs of Police Association and the Michigan Association of Chiefs of Police. She has received numerous awards from citizen groups, civic organizations and business communities. She is a 2005 recipient of the General Motors and Black Entertainment Television’s “History Maker in the Making” Award and a Lifetime Achievement Award from the National Center for Women and Policing.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2007, 02:02:16 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

quote:
Originally posted by rwarn17588

Geez, the morning show crew seems to be grinding their axes against gays, aren't they?

Yeah, gamblers, drunks, gluttons, deadbeats, and patrons of t***y bars kind of dropped off the map of KFAQ "sins" last year.  Wonder why that is? [Tongue]

So basically all KFAQ does is self-deprecating hostility? Since Delgiorno did all of those whilce complaining about them, does that mean someone on the show now is gay?

Probably got a 50/50 chance of guessing correctly who it is. (not that there's anything wrong with it) [}:)]

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2007, 02:16:22 pm »

Just about any time someone moves DOWN in the ranks of cities (Tulsa is smaller than Detroit) - there is something wrong with that person's performance.  And the smaller towns are dumb enough to hire these people because they think it looks neat that they got the chief of police from Detroit in Tulsa.  Wow, thats so cool!  If she can handle Detroit, surely she can handle Tulsa!!!..

I hope this thread is a joke and the mayor hires someone competent.

Wrinkle
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2007, 02:27:05 pm »

If she comes to Tulsa, an overnight bag should do it.

Wrinkle
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2007, 02:32:00 pm »

How come her bio didn't mention her being born in Japan?

Kiah
Philanthropist

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2007, 07:28:40 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Wrinkle

How come her bio didn't mention her being born in Japan?

Wow, if you can confirm that, that would be the most explosive revelation since . . . . we found out Dave Been wears size 9 shoes!!

Wilbur
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2007, 07:34:04 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by YoungTulsan

Just about any time someone moves DOWN in the ranks of cities (Tulsa is smaller than Detroit) - there is something wrong with that person's performance.  And the smaller towns are dumb enough to hire these people because they think it looks neat that they got the chief of police from Detroit in Tulsa.  Wow, thats so cool!  If she can handle Detroit, surely she can handle Tulsa!!!..

I hope this thread is a joke and the mayor hires someone competent.

This was my big question.  Police like to move on to bigger and better things, just like other professions.  Moving from Detroit, the 10th largest city with nearly 4,000 officers to Tulsa, which ranks around 57th or 58th and 800 officers is certainly not a 'step up'.  I haven't been able to find figures for Detroit's salary, but from what little I have found, Tulsa might have been a little pay raise, not to mention a much nicer city!

From the comments on the Detroit Free Press website, it looks like many people were ready to pay for her moving van.

Kiah
Philanthropist

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2007, 07:41:44 pm »

Unfounded rumors are fun . . . .

Police chief shoots down rumors she's leaving
May 17, 2007

BY BEN SCHMITT

FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

Detroit Police Chief Ella Bully-Cummings said she has no plans to depart from her post to take a job as top cop in Tulsa, Okla.

When asked earlier this week, Bully-Cummings denied rumors that she interviewed for the job, which became vacant May 1.

Today, the chief’s spokesman, James Tate, said the rumors are bogus.

“It’s not legitimate,” Tate said. “I talked to the chief and she’s not going anywhere. She is a Detroiter through and through.”

Tate acknowledged that he’s gotten calls from other media outlets about the rumor. The Tulsa World newspaper and a radio station called the Free Press this week asking about the rumors."

Kiah
Philanthropist

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2007, 08:02:18 pm »

I came across this officer.com forum post, which I've entitled "When Hysterical Police Union Divas Meet the Strong Mayor."

WARNING: THE MAYOR IS TRYING TO MANAGE CITY AFFAIRS!!!!!!

quote:
Update:

DO NOT APPLY TO TULSA PD RIGHT NOW!!!!

I hate to say this about my own department but I'm afraid I have too as things have suddenly taken a drastic turn.

The new mayor is an insane micro manager and is trying to defacto run the department. She's wants to take our take home cars, she's trying to force us off of 4/10s and back to 5/8s, and she is only considering ultra liberal outside female candidates for the new chief.

The latest candidate she is considering is from the Detroit area and will likely institute a civilian review board and a no pursuit policy just to name a few things.

Her latest "energy conservation policy" would make it a violation to leave you vehicle ideling when it is not necessary to "public safety" at would be punishible up to termination.  

She is going to fight us to the bitter end on every issue and even use her own personal money to do it (she's rich).

So until this stuff shakes out I would avoid this place if I was a prospective LEO.

To which, one sympathetic brother-in-arms replied:

quote:
Dang Chief, that sucks bro! Menopause?

YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2007, 02:10:37 am »

If she is dead set on ultra liberal outside female candidates for the chief of police position, then perhaps we should petition for a recall of her mayorship.  And I say this as a citizen who approved of the city hall move to One Williams Center, and the destruction of the Camelot.  I was really liking KT until I heard about this unfettered BS about her trying to hire some PC chief of police after blatantly disregarding the city charter.  I would have supported her hiring the best candidate that wasnt internal, but apparently she is trying to hobnob with fellow liberal mayors by hiring a lesbian anti-law-enforcement politically correct  ignore-the-laws-and-progress-liberal-ideals-instead candidate...  Wait..  the term candidate doesnt even apply since she isn't looking at credentials and is hiring based on who fits in most with the far left agenda of big cities.  Tulsa isn't even that big of a city, it is pathetic to see our mayor trying to pull some "Hey, me too!  Look, I can be liberal too!!!" tactics just TRYING to fit in with actual big cities like NYC, San Fransicko, LA, etc.

I want an actual law-enforcing cheif of police that supports the cops and doesnt take **** from anyone who disobeys the law.

Wilbur
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2007, 05:01:06 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kiah

Unfounded rumors are fun . . . .

Police chief shoots down rumors she's leaving
May 17, 2007

BY BEN SCHMITT

FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

Detroit Police Chief Ella Bully-Cummings said she has no plans to depart from her post to take a job as top cop in Tulsa, Okla.

When asked earlier this week, Bully-Cummings denied rumors that she interviewed for the job, which became vacant May 1.

Today, the chief’s spokesman, James Tate, said the rumors are bogus.

“It’s not legitimate,” Tate said. “I talked to the chief and she’s not going anywhere. She is a Detroiter through and through.”

Tate acknowledged that he’s gotten calls from other media outlets about the rumor. The Tulsa World newspaper and a radio station called the Free Press this week asking about the rumors."

KOTV-6, on their morning show this morning, is reporting Bully-Cummings will be named Chief at a 10am press conference.  If so, do we already have some credibility issues?
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2007, 07:28:41 am »

I admit I am uninformed on this topic, but with rumors of a naming on the radio this AM, I had a question:

Does being a fairly high-crime city help attract a better chief?

I would imagine a good leader would want the challenge.  If you moved to Omaha (little crime) you have nothing to accomplish, all that can happen is crime go up.  If you can 'clean Tulsa up' you get mad credit and probably a raise - OR you can move on to bigger city work.

Conversely, Tulsa could be a high stress job with a good chance of failure.If nothing else, its more work.  SO it might dissuade some people.

Does anyone know - do higher crime cities get the better or worse police chiefs?

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2007, 07:39:46 am »

If all this comes true and a less than steller chief is hired purely based on political leanings or trying to "make a splash" all I can say....as I have said before....is I hope Mayor Taylor enjoys her 1 term.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2007, 07:51:37 am »

KRMG reported this morning that an "interim chief" would be named today due to pending issues in court over the three internal candidates who have been passed-over.

I can't imagine an outsider would move here to be an "interim chief".

Or could be KRMG has their facts all screwed up.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org