A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:45:07 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jerry Falwell croaks  (Read 10055 times)
MichaelC
« on: May 15, 2007, 11:53:29 am »

From MSNBC

quote:
LYNCHBURG, Va. - The Rev. Jerry Falwell — founder of the Moral Majority and the face of the religious right in the 1980s — died Tuesday after being found unconscious in his office, a Liberty University executive said.

Ron Godwin, Liberty's executive vice president, said Falwell, 73, had been found unresponsive around 10:45 a.m. and was taken to Lynchburg General Hospital.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 12:12:30 pm »

I'm sure you are crying a river right now.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
MichaelC
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 12:15:50 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

I have respect for the dead.  Even Falwell.

This thread is down here, because he was political, and people like you can't seperate politics from much of anything.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 12:33:09 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by MichaelC

quote:

I have respect for the dead.  Even Falwell.

This thread is down here, because he was political, and people like you can't seperate politics from much of anything.

Generalize much?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
MichaelC
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 12:45:40 pm »

quote:

Generalize much?

Yes damnit!  And your point is?
iplaw
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 12:51:46 pm »

I think this bothers MichaelC because he's a closet Falwell fan.  No one else seems to care other than him...
MichaelC
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 01:00:45 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by iplaw

I think this bothers MichaelC because he's a closet Falwell fan.  No one else seems to care other than him...

I didn't say I "cared".  Life is a terminal condition.  Had to happen sometime.

But I do respect the dead.   I might miss the poor bastard, just a little bit.  Hope it was painless, hope he get's where he wanted to go.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 01:08:26 pm »

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by iplaw

But I do respect the dead.   I might miss the poor bastard...

[}:)][}:)]

mr.jaynes
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 01:12:28 pm »

quote:

From MSNBC

quote:
LYNCHBURG, Va. - The Rev. Jerry Falwell — founder of the Moral Majority and the face of the religious right in the 1980s — died Tuesday after being found unconscious in his office, a Liberty University executive said.

Ron Godwin, Liberty's executive vice president, said Falwell, 73, had been found unresponsive around 10:45 a.m. and was taken to Lynchburg General Hospital.

My politics and the Reverend Falwell's politics couldn't be more dissimilar. But unlike these evangelists with the "Seed Faith" gimmicks, and financial and moral improprieties (such as Jimmy Swaggart), he was probably cleaner than most of those high-powered TV preachers.
MichaelC
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 01:13:07 pm »

quote:

quote:

But I do respect the dead.   I might miss the poor bastard...

[}:)][}:)]

Stop it.  I'm trying to show some faux-concern here.  You trying to break my facade?

On second thought.  You're right.  I've respected the man for about an hour, that should be enough.  Time for a title change.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 01:17:50 pm »

I like the title better now.

MichaelC
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 01:39:14 pm »

quote:

I like the title better now.

I don't know.  It could be: "Falwell to heaven: please let me in."  

Or "Who knew summers in heaven could be such a b****"

That "Croaks" thing might be a little too much.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2007, 01:45:50 pm »

A tribute to Jerry:

quote:
I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People For the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularize America. I point the finger in their face and say 'you helped [9-11] happen.'

quote:
AIDS is the wrath of a just God against homosexuals and all of society for not expunging them from among us

quote:
If you're not a born-again Christian, you're a failure as a human being

quote:
Thank God for these gay demonstrators. If I didn't have them, I'd have to invent them. They give me all the publicity I need.

quote:
The idea that religion and politics don't mix was invented by the Devil to keep Christians from running their own country.

quote:
I hope to see the day when, as in the early days of our country, we don't have public schools. The churches will have taken them over again and Christians will be running them.

quote:
The First Amendment is not without limits.

quote:
An individuals privacy ceases when their behavior becomes an abomination unto god, no matter the location.  Morality, is very much a public affair.
(in response to Lawrence v. Texas)

quote:
Labor unions should study and read the Bible instead of asking for more money. When people get right with God, they are better workers.

quote:
Christians, like slaves and soldiers, ask no questions.

quote:
God continues to lift the curtain and allow the enemies of America to give us probably what we deserve.

quote:
I am such a strong admirer and supporter of George W. Bush that if he suggested eliminating the income tax or doubling it, I would vote yes on first blush.

quote:
Scientology has a terrible track record of bigotry.

Truly the kind of person we should all aspire to be.  So full of love and such a giving person.  And a strong believer in personal choice, freedom, and a pluralistic secular society.

That said, even he distanced himself from Phelps:
quote:
Fred Phelps does not give the religious right a bad name, because nobody claims kin to that guy.

and the poor bastard never got to see the rapture.  I think he drank the poison he was selling long, long ago.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2007, 01:46:58 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by mr.jaynes

quote:

From MSNBC

quote:

My politics and the Reverend Falwell's politics couldn't be more dissimilar. But unlike these evangelists with the "Seed Faith" gimmicks, and financial and moral improprieties (such as Jimmy Swaggart), he was probably cleaner than most of those high-powered TV preachers.

Doubtful.  Anyone with a 26,000 member congregation, a quasi-PAC and $200mm religious empire is bound to have some dirt under their fingernails.

jdb
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2007, 01:48:54 pm »

I missed the orig. title and so your claim to respecting the dead under the title "croaks" had me looking for a punchline.

"gets where he wanted to go..." - heartless bastard now known as MichaelC

Like out back in the outhouse with his Ma, again?
jdb

Here's hoping his successor is equally "distingushed" so as to be rendered mostly harmless. (as much respect as I can Muster.)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org