A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:02:35 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bricktown Developer eyeing Jenks Riverwalk  (Read 10204 times)
MichaelC
« on: May 01, 2007, 11:15:03 am »

From KTUL

quote:
Jenks - Look for new apartments, offices and shops along the Arkansas River. The developer behind lower Bricktown in Oklahoma City is now going to work in Jenks. As NewsChannel 8's Diana Zoga explains, they're trying to make this a tourist destination.

The new development would be an extension of the current Jenks Riverwalk, which already brings in about half a million visitors a year.

At Gina and Guiseppe's, the pizza flies while the customers sit along the Arkansas River.

"Fridays and Saturdays we've been really busy," says Manager Cynthia Macpherson.

The restaurant is just one of the more than twenty businesses springing up since the Riverwalk concept came to Jenks four years ago. Now it seems more are looking for a piece of the pie.

"Why Jenks? Because of their Riverwalk. This is where the people gather so you want to be where there's a crowd."

"The weather is, nasty but there's still people out here," adds Samantha Merrifield.

Samantha Merrifield is a regular. She says new development sounds great. Another reason to continue making the drive from her home in Tulsa.

"It's exciting," she says. "I wish it were closer to Tulsa. But, I'm sure there's a reason for that."

"This site is ready for development," says Lynn Mitchell. "It made it an easy decision for us."

Mitchell is one of the investors in the new development and says Jenks had the land -- 200 acres for loft apartments, offices and retail. Cynthia Macpherson welcomes the change.

"It's going to be a great area," she says. "It's long overdue. This should have been utilized a long time a go but better late than never."

As for Tulsa, they are still working on their development. They city said Monday they welcome the changes in Jenks. As for when you will actually see the changes, the developer plans to release a master plan within two months. The goal is to have the area completely developed in five to seven years.

The new development is privately funded. Taxpayers will not foot the bill. In the future however, the investors plan to ask for rebates on some of the costs of the infrastructure.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 11:32:31 am »

This development was brought up on the board before several months ago. This is the group that bought the potential bell's property.

I like it when the board scoops the news.
Porky
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 11:35:38 am »

I saw this on the news last night and it looks as though Jenks has more positive growth ahead.

I'll never understand why Tulsa just doesn't get what it takes for development when Owasso, BA and Jenks are showing them how it is done......absolutely unbelievable. [B)]
Cubs
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 09:29:27 pm »

they have big plans, but who knows if they will be successful ..... i still dont find the riverwalk crossing to be anything special and they act like it is the greatest .... so who knows
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 07:14:10 am »

I think I remember reading that it was going to take about a year just to do the environmental impact study and to design the new dam for Tulsa, let alone how long it will take to get the money for it or to build it.  

But I wonder did the Riverwalk and Kings Landing have to do an environmental impact study?  Will this new development in Jenks have to do that?  Why would Tulsa have to do an environmental impact study and not Jenks?

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 08:12:33 am »

Likely but the river is considered a wildlife habitat and also effects a lot of other economic "stuff."

Riverwalk was built on the "floodme" side of the levee and may be considered not much impact.
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 08:43:15 am »

and still Sand Springs does nothing.
AJ
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 02:58:42 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by wavoka

and still Sand Springs does nothing.

Oooh but we have new fences and signs [Wink]

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 06:36:52 am »

Sand Springs exists so the slow progress in Tulsa looks fast.
AJ
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 12:41:45 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

LOL You may have a point there. Personally speaking, Im ok with the slow progress in SS. We stayed here to raise our family because we liked the small town charm/atmosphere. The growth we have had here has just made the schools crowded, the streets congested and crime has increased. The city leaders havent/arent doing anything about those problems. And it will only get worse...

But Im just a resident here, so what do I know?
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 06:40:45 pm »

I have always thought Sand Springs had more potential as a touristy type getaway, kind of like Eureka Springs, than Jenks. Perhaps its downtown being in a hilly area versus flat has something to do with it.  It has more, nicer, and larger old buildings in its downtown.  A bit of some some strategic infill with similar old timey buildings would go a long way to clinching a very nice atmosphere.  

To me Jenks just seems like part of Tulsa.  But when I go to Sand Springs its like going some place else, actually getting out of town.  Even the feel of the place, the types of trees, rocks, landscape etc. feel different than most places in Tulsa, south Tulsa and Jenks.

I hope whatever growth happens in their downtown and along the river, keeps that small town "different" feel.  We don't need any more typical Bixby, BA, Jenks, type sprawl.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
tomokla
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2007, 08:19:52 pm »

Yeah, I moved to SS from Broken Arrow and I've been happy with the growth.  Granted I don't think much happened here between 1970 and 2000, but I see lots of dirt moving everyday and noticed that ST Johns and Utica Park are building new facilities in the city.  Every city has its people who prefer to gripe then actually work towards a solution but I'm shocked that I have a drug store, QT, my dentist, my doctor several fast food restaurants, several "mom and pop" restaurants, a fire station and a place to change my oil less then 1 mile from my house and yet I can still be in DT Tulsa in 5 minutes.  When some more sit down food comes to town along with an Old Navy or Kohl's and a home improvement store I don't think I'll have to ever go to Tulsa.  I agree with the previous member who wants the development to coincide with our current architecture...I hope it does.  It seems like other people are quick to charge city leaders with doing "nothing" but everyone currently working in the city leadership is relatively new (new PW Director, New City Manager, New Asst. City Manager, etc).  From what I've heard this V2025 area will be awesome, but it is easy to get frustrated since you have SO many landowners to deal with (not to mention the railroad, church , etc).  I've seen plenty of progress over the last year and I have complete faith that the result will be worth waiting for.  I get impatient to, but I think rather then passing blame, I'm going to call and let my city know I appreciate the "little things" they're doing to make us look better (signs, fences, etc) and see if there is anything I can do to help the process, or I could just find fault with everyone else's actions - - - I wonder which one is more likely to produce a positive result?
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2007, 08:46:31 pm »

My recycling center is Sand Springs does great business. It is my number two center in pounds per person, trailing only Jenks.

It is located at Main and Morrow road.

Power is nothing till you use it.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2007, 09:03:58 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by AJ

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

LOL You may have a point there. Personally speaking, Im ok with the slow progress in SS. We stayed here to raise our family because we liked the small town charm/atmosphere. The growth we have had here has just made the schools crowded, the streets congested and crime has increased. The city leaders havent/arent doing anything about those problems. And it will only get worse...

But Im just a resident here, so what do I know?

The whole sand springs corridor, riverfront, main street all have potential. I just know SS has the rep of being a real blue collar town so it'll be interesting to see what kind of identity Sand Springs forms during this whole revitalization.
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2007, 07:54:46 am »

quote:
Originally posted by tomokla

Yeah, I moved to SS from Broken Arrow and I've been happy with the growth.  Granted I don't think much happened here between 1970 and 2000, but I see lots of dirt moving everyday and noticed that ST Johns and Utica Park are building new facilities in the city.  Every city has its people who prefer to gripe then actually work towards a solution but I'm shocked that I have a drug store, QT, my dentist, my doctor several fast food restaurants, several "mom and pop" restaurants, a fire station and a place to change my oil less then 1 mile from my house and yet I can still be in DT Tulsa in 5 minutes.  When some more sit down food comes to town along with an Old Navy or Kohl's and a home improvement store I don't think I'll have to ever go to Tulsa.  I agree with the previous member who wants the development to coincide with our current architecture...I hope it does.  It seems like other people are quick to charge city leaders with doing "nothing" but everyone currently working in the city leadership is relatively new (new PW Director, New City Manager, New Asst. City Manager, etc).  From what I've heard this V2025 area will be awesome, but it is easy to get frustrated since you have SO many landowners to deal with (not to mention the railroad, church , etc).  I've seen plenty of progress over the last year and I have complete faith that the result will be worth waiting for.  I get impatient to, but I think rather then passing blame, I'm going to call and let my city know I appreciate the "little things" they're doing to make us look better (signs, fences, etc) and see if there is anything I can do to help the process, or I could just find fault with everyone else's actions - - - I wonder which one is more likely to produce a positive result?

I have tried to do things to help. I've gone to council meetings, I've called my city councilman, etc.... with ideas and suggestions that I had and that I have heard from my neighbors.

Our number 1 request? Please do whatever it takes to get a real grocery store to move to town. Each time that has been brought up we hear the same canned answer. "We already have a Wal-Mart Supercenter. What more could you ask for?"

Geez.

Another request we have made, and it goes with what recyclemichael posted, is for curb side recycling. The typical response from various city leadership has always been "We don't believe it is needed."

Right.

Anyway. As for the town leadership being new. Don't kid yourself. It is the same recycled "Good Ol Boys" network that has been running the city for as long as I have been politically aware of what goes on in the city. Say around 1980 or so. The City Manager is new and an outsider, but how much do you think he can get done considering he is appointed/hired by the council and can be done away with on a whim?

The sad thing is that for whatever reason the city leadership is slow moving, has no strategic plan or vision for where they want to go and seems to not care what citizens think.

As AJ posted. The new signs and fences look nice, but from the way the city leadership acted when they were going up you would have thought Sand Springs had just landed and new manufacturing plant that would create 10,000 jobs, a world class museum and a retail district that would rival Utica Square.

To me it is pretty telling that the City Leadership and the Chamber of Commerce hate each other.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org