A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:08:08 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I-44 Right of Way Aquisition  (Read 8783 times)
makelifebetter4ok
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2006, 07:29:20 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by recyclemichael

The Oklahoma Bicycling Coalition mentions some other licensed instructors than just those four.

Yes, RM, there are about 10 LCI's in Oklahoma.  I only know of 4 in Tulsa Metro and one in OKC, Pete Kramer.  There are also two others in Broken Arrow Police Department.  But, they only teach law enforcement personnel.

Though Santa is highly versed in Effective Cycling techniques, he is NOT certified by the League of American Bicyclists(LAB) nor properly INSURED to formally offer "bike lessons."

Every once in a while, Safe Kids Coalition offers "bike rodeos" to the younger kids.  I don't know what they teach or whether the instructors are certified.  There is only one certifying agency in the country, LAB.  Presumably, certification allows the instructors to carry proper insurance.  

Sometimes they may be called as expert witnesses.  But, as a regular profession, that's a whole 'nuther sub-specialty only a very select few LCI's in the country are involved.  But, for MOST bread and butter cases, the local LCI's have credibility.
Dana431
Armchair Urbanist
Civic Leader

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2007, 08:02:12 am »

My old house is getting closer to its final destination.[Sad]

TULSA, Okla. (AP) - Crews will begin working later this month to

move dozens of houses to make way for a wider version of Interstate

44 through Tulsa.

The state Transportation Department will move 45 houses on the

north side of I-44 in preparation for the widening project. The

homes will be taken north of the city to Sperry, where they will be

put on the market.

Plans also call for eight commercial properties to be removed

after a contract is awarded this summer.

More than 300 (m) million dollars in funding has been released

to widen the interstate between Riverside Drive and Yale Avenue.

The project is expected to run through 2011.

TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2007, 09:26:27 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Dana431

The homes will be taken north of the city to Sperry, where they will be put on the market.

Why? Wouldn't it be more economical to demolish the houses and use the materials to buy new houses, rather than destory the foundation and then move and repair the structure?

I've never moved a house before, so I am just curious. :-)

---Robert
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2007, 07:28:44 am »

quote:
Originally posted by TURobY

quote:
Originally posted by Dana431

The homes will be taken north of the city to Sperry, where they will be put on the market.

Why? Wouldn't it be more economical to demolish the houses and use the materials to buy new houses, rather than destory the foundation and then move and repair the structure?

I've never moved a house before, so I am just curious. :-)

If your going to demolish it, then there wouldnt be much left to sell. If you were to take the homes apart in a way that would save the materials, that would take a lot of labor thus a lot of cost. There are many things that couldn't be saved if you took a home apart for no matter how careful you were they would be rendered useless in the process. Plus your destroying the value of the labor that built the home in the first place, and the little bit of remaining parts you would sell, the buyer has to pay for the labor of removing it, then reinstalling it in a new home. Moving the home costs less and then you have a home to sell, not just some remaining pieces.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2007, 01:30:27 pm »

I would be pretty insulted if someone decided my home was appropriate for sale in Sperry Cheesy

Dana431
Armchair Urbanist
Civic Leader

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2007, 03:47:44 pm »

A third the houses on my old street including mine had asbestos siding.  It may be cheaper to sell the whole product.  The Asbestos abatement may be too expensive.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org