A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 07:55:30 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Broken Arrow History Museum  (Read 10049 times)
MichaelC
« on: April 09, 2007, 11:10:39 am »

Sure, why not?

From KOTV

quote:
Broken Arrow residents are hoping the city's past will help launch it into the future. A groundbreaking ceremony took place Monday for a brand new historical museum. The president of the historical society, Dr. Gary Gerber says the museum is just one of the many projects planned to help revitalize downtown Broken Arrow. And although the project will focus on the past, Dr. Gerber hopes it really boosts the community's future. He says the museum at 302 South Main, should be completed in about a year and a half.

When the new facility is done, the historical society will move the items from the current building into the new 9,000 square foot museum. The museum will have 10-themed exhibits highlighting Broken Arrow's Creek tribal history, veterans, all the way up to the present.

Dr. Gerber says the museum along with other future projects like a multipurpose pavilion and farmers market will change the community's future. "It's going to be a beautiful community and what we're hoping is to make it a focal point downtown to draw people in downtown and have some things for them to do."

Dr. Gerber says construction on the building will cost nearly $2 million with most of the money coming from a bond issue. Dr. Gerber says fundraising isn't over yet. The historical society still needs about $500,000 for furniture and other items.
mr.jaynes
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 04:49:03 pm »

Ya know, I grew up in Broken Arrow-they seemed to be stuck in the past when I was there, with little if any inclination of moving forward. And coming back to visit, I've seen a few changes here and there. But hey, a Blue Bell creamery, a Lowe's and a couple of Wal-Marts do not necessarily constitute astonishing progress, so I fail to see what good just a museum will do for it.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 06:48:38 pm »

Seems weird to have a museum for a suburb that has no major national historical events bassed there, but none yet in Tulsa..
tulsa1603
Philanthropist

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 08:00:11 am »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

Seems weird to have a museum for a suburb that has no major national historical events bassed there, but none yet in Tulsa..

Then you'd love to visit Owasso's, I bet. Smiley  It's on Main Street.

mr.jaynes
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 12:58:42 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by tulsa1603

quote:

Then you'd love to visit Owasso's, I bet. Smiley  It's on Main Street.

Ya, and there's more progress there in Owasso than Broken Arrow. I remember Owasso as a kid back in in the 1980's, then the 1990's and then on certain occasions when I came back to visit the Tulsa area, and it seems a town in growth mode.
perspicuity85
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 04:14:53 pm »

The probable reason for BA to build a history museum is to distinguish itself as more than just a Tulsa bedroom community.  Its population is about to be 100,000 and it doesn't have much of a community identity of its own.  A history museum educates BA's citizens about BA history, and possibly creates a better community-centric mindset.
Porky
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 07:09:43 pm »

quote:

Also I find it interesting that the one in BA is going to be built for only 2.5 Million bucks. Seems projects in Tulsa of this size are always 10X's that.

There is a lot of history in BA and many famous people from the past and the present find this town to call home.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 07:40:40 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Porky

quote:

Also I find it interesting that the one in BA is going to be built for only 2.5 Million bucks. Seems projects in Tulsa of this size are always 10X's that.

There is a lot of history in BA and many famous people from the past and the present find this town to call home.

I'm surprised BA isn't just converting an abandoned schlotzky's.
Porky
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 03:28:52 pm »

quote:
I'm surprised BA isn't just converting an abandoned schlotzky's.

That would normally be a good idea but knowing that they can buy the steel from the BOK Arena in a couple of years for penny's on the dollar, BA is thinking of much bigger plans. [}:)]
TulsaEx
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 11:43:25 pm »

"Seems weird to have a museum for a suburb that has no major national historical events bassed there, but none yet iTulsa.."

I'm sorry sgrizzle, I am a new user but long time lurker on this board and I don't understand your criticism here.  Are you not happy with the Tulsa Historical Society Museum that is part of the renovation of the Travis Mansion?  http://www.tulsahistory.org/

Porky
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 04:10:49 am »

quote:
Originally posted by TulsaEx

"Seems weird to have a museum for a suburb that has no major national historical events bassed there, but none yet iTulsa.."

I think the problem with Tulsa not having one is probably because of the Tulsa race riot. People would complain that there was not enough exhibits dedicated to it or vice versa.

I really wish Tulsa would build one and no better place then downtown where all the renovations  and new building is going on.
TulsaEx
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 10:16:42 pm »

Again, I don't understand what you are saying about Tulsa not having a history museum.  It has been in the Gilcrease Mansion on the property of the Gilcrease Museum for years.  I have known people that have worked for it and have archived and documented history for it.

Now, they have moved it to the Travis Mansion and are renovating the space for more galleries and so that it is more accessible to the public - please follow the link: http://www.tulsahistory.org/.  It will be a fantastic space and even though it is not downtown, it will still be very nice and it will link wonderfully with Woodward Park, the Rose Garden, the Garden Center, Philbrook and Utica Square.  This is pretty nice considering this mansion was supposed to be torn down and the lot was going to be subdivided into 12 separate parcels for new development.  

Apart from Tulsa, I have lived in Denver, Orlando, Kansas City and I currently reside in Austin and I cannot tell you where the city history museum exists (if it does exist) in any of these cities except for Tulsa.

The Tulsa Historical Society is an outstanding asset to the city and they have put together at Gilcrease and are putting together at Travis an excellent museum.

I think it is great that Broken Arrow is creating their own museum and I'm sure it will be very nice, but I don't understand this backhanded criticism of Tulsa.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 11:46:40 pm »

quote:

I'm sorry sgrizzle, I am a new user but long time lurker on this board and I don't understand your criticism here.  Are you not happy with the Tulsa Historical Society Museum that is part of the renovation of the Travis Mansion?  http://www.tulsahistory.org/

I was kind of wondering what you meant with the "but none yet in Tulsa" statement.  Tulsa has had a History Museum for a while now. But I understand how some can be confused because the sign says Tulsa Historical Society and not Tulsa History Museum.  I wrote them a letter telling them how it might be wise to change the name because its a shame that there arent more people there when I have been. Tulsa Historical Society sounds like a place where a group little old ladies meet over tea and crumpets and do geneology or something lol.  I bet a lot of people are like you and dont realize its a Museum when they drive by and see the sign that says Historical Society. When I mentioned this to someone there they said that others had said the same thing and that some were talking about a possible change of name.  But there are going to be people that do not want to change the name, I think it would be helpful if they did.

If you think it would be a good thing to do please just write a little blurb saying so to them.  Every voice counts.  Here are the contact Emails you can click on to do so.

http://www.tulsahistory.org/contact.htm

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
mr.jaynes
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2007, 12:30:22 pm »

quote:

quote:

I think the problem with Tulsa not having one is probably because of the Tulsa race riot. People would complain that there was not enough exhibits dedicated to it or vice versa.

I really wish Tulsa would build one and no better place then downtown where all the renovations  and new building is going on.

Seems to be a shameful part of Tulsa's past that few have the guts to acknowledge.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2007, 04:05:10 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by mr.jaynes

quote:

quote:

Seems to be a shameful part of Tulsa's past that few have the guts to acknowledge.

You wont find a conversation about Tulsa's history without it coming up and being talked about as a major event.  Try to find a description of Tulsas history without it being there.  Its hardly something thats not acknowledged.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org