A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:47:46 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Population Numbers  (Read 16846 times)
inteller
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2007, 07:55:02 am »

quote:
Originally posted by peggysue

Tulsa Metro is growing well for a Southern city (we are not in the friggin midwest people)

And if you are lookin for the next "boom" suburb look at Sand Springs. That place is about to explode in population and economy.

yes we ARE in the midwest.  quit using 19th century geographic definitions.
peggysue
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2007, 03:16:53 pm »

Sand Springs is starting development everywhere, the old neighborhood that is across from Wal Mart is going to be developed into a strip mall with a lowes/home depot store going in...New businesses springing up, The Vision 2025 is helping, and the metro population Of sand springs is about to reach 50,000..Flame on.

As for you Mr. Geography here is the midwest-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midwestern_United_States

Read up

Here is the south-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_United_States

Game, set, match...
rwarn17588
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2007, 03:20:43 pm »

Peggysue shoots, she scores!

Inteller will get *really* cranky now. [}:)]
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2007, 04:37:22 pm »

When in doubt, Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Census_Regions_and_Divisions.PNG  

Says we do not fit in the "Midwestern" category.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Midwestern_States_%28of_the_U.S.A.%29

Says we sort of fit in the "Southwestern" category.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southwestern_United_States

Says we are "sometimes/occasionally" Considered "Southern"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_United_States

Shows we are definitely in the "South Central" US
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Central_United_States

And of Course we all know undisputedly that we fit here. [Tongue]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesusland_map

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
peggysue
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2007, 04:48:53 pm »

From the southern section of the wiki article-

"Before its statehood in 1907, Oklahoma was known as "Indian Territory." The majority of the Native American tribes in Indian Territory sided with the Confederacy during the Civil War. Today, Oklahoma has a mostly Southwestern identity. Furthering the state's Southwestern identity, following California, it has the nation's second largest Native American population. Oklahoma is also the home of Gilcrease Museum, which houses the world's largest, most comprehensive collection of art of the American West plus Native American art and artifacts and historical manuscripts, documents, and maps. Oklahoma is frequently described as being part of the "Great Southwest." However, because of its geographic location, Oklahoma is privy to Southern culture. Southern influence can still be found in Oklahoma, particularly in the southeastern region of the state, but the influence becomes less apparent as you move north and west of this area. On a whole, most consider Oklahoma to be a Southern state." Smiley
Steve
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2007, 05:13:38 pm »

As a resident of OK (Tulsa) for the past 50 years, I have always considered Oklahoma part of the Southwest U.S., although it is in the extreme northeast corner of the southwest.  Wasn't this subject discussed at length on this forum about 2 years ago?

And wiki needs to double check its facts.  Only the eastern half of Oklahoma was Indian Territory, including Tulsa; the western half of the state was Oklahoma Territory including Oklahoma City.  The panhandle was "No Man's Land" and tacked onto Oklahoma at statehood when Texas didn't want the land.
AMP
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2007, 07:11:46 pm »

Wiki is compiled and edited on the fly.  They typically do not censor or change the listing, the users do so.  

If you want to edit the listing is is easy as pie.  That is why I like Wiki, because it is Free and no Advertisers are calling the shots on what they publish or say about things. True open source code kinda thing.
inteller
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2007, 07:53:20 pm »

Oh yes, it says it in Wikipedia so it MUST be true.

I'll be adding an article to Wikipedia soon that I am God, so I expect places of worship to be constructed by endof the month or I'll bring armageddon.
dsjeffries
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2007, 08:47:51 pm »

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, Oklahoma is identified as West South Central and is sometimes considered South by certain people.  West South Central seems to be the most appropriate labeling of Oklahoma that I've found.  We're not Midwest, we're not South, and we're not Southwest.

Source: http://www.census.gov/geo/www/us_regdiv.pdf
peggysue
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2007, 09:42:51 pm »

Inteller, you 've been PWNED.
perspicuity85
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2007, 11:30:23 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by peggysue

From the southern section of the wiki article-

"Before its statehood in 1907, Oklahoma was known as "Indian Territory." The majority of the Native American tribes in Indian Territory sided with the Confederacy during the Civil War. Today, Oklahoma has a mostly Southwestern identity. Furthering the state's Southwestern identity, following California, it has the nation's second largest Native American population. Oklahoma is also the home of Gilcrease Museum, which houses the world's largest, most comprehensive collection of art of the American West plus Native American art and artifacts and historical manuscripts, documents, and maps. Oklahoma is frequently described as being part of the "Great Southwest." However, because of its geographic location, Oklahoma is privy to Southern culture. Southern influence can still be found in Oklahoma, particularly in the southeastern region of the state, but the influence becomes less apparent as you move north and west of this area. On a whole, most consider Oklahoma to be a Southern state." Smiley

Tulsa's cultural/geographic identity is quite debatable.  Oklahoma as a whole is more southern than Tulsa is, and is a large enough state to be influenced by more than one culture.  Other states that have the same issue, such as Missouri.  Look at the difference between Branson natives and St. Louis natives.  In Tulsa, many outsiders view the presence of Oral Roberts, for example, to be consistant with Southern culture.  However, I notice many dialects of Tulsans to be similar to the dialects of people in Kansas City and Springfield, MO.  Dialects of native OKC residents tend to be more "okie," which anthropologically speaking is a separate linguistic accent from the traditional southern accent.  Dialects are very much a part of local culture.  I think Tulsa is more midwestern than the rest of Oklahoma.  Personally, I think of Tulsa as being the vertex of the Midwest, South, and Southwest.  When in Tulsa, you typically meet people that would culturally lean in one of those three directions.  The funny thing is, all three types of native Tulsans; the Midwesterner, the Southerner, and the Southwesterner-- will try to convince you that the whole of Tulsa ascribes to their respective cultural influence!
Johnboy976
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2007, 12:58:48 am »

Inteller, Tulsa is considered a southwestern city in most cases. There is no way that we are in the Midwest. I live right next to the Midwest, and no one from the Midwest considers any part of Oklahoma as the Midwest. You will most likely refute this, but I know what I've heard.
perspicuity85
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2007, 06:34:28 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Johnboy976

Inteller, Tulsa is considered a southwestern city in most cases. There is no way that we are in the Midwest. I live right next to the Midwest, and no one from the Midwest considers any part of Oklahoma as the Midwest. You will most likely refute this, but I know what I've heard.

You aren't attempting to speak for the entire Midwest are you?  I have many family members in St. Louis that still consider Tulsa to be Midwestern.  Of course, many other St. Louis citizens would probably disagree.  As I posted earlier, Tulsa's identity is quite debatable.
YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2007, 02:00:22 am »

Oklahoma is none of the above.  It is "Indian Territory"  Cheesy

Johnboy976
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2007, 10:45:31 pm »

I've also heard Oklahoma is considered a "Great Plains" state. Who in the world makes up these terms? Not even government websites mention Oklahoma's ACTUAL geography.

And to answer persp, I have friends from all over the place... but no, I am not speaking for the whole of the Midwest. However, when the majority of my grad program is made up of Midwesterners, I get a pretty good idea.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org