A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:10:17 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2007 Ice Storm  (Read 10442 times)
DM
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2007, 08:08:02 pm »

I went shopping on Tuesday. No lines and got everything I needed. Better safe then sorry. [Wink]
pmcalk
City Mother
City Father

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2007, 08:43:51 pm »

But don't you love the comraderie associated with an impending disaster?  I went to Reasors this morning--absolute zoo.  But everyone was acting as though this were the most exciting thing to happen in years.  People were pitching in to help bag, perfect strangers discussing their opinions on the track of the storm, etc....  Anyway, I am glad it's turning out to be more sleet and less ice.  Can't wait to go sledding tomorrow.  Hope Harwelden has recovered from the last go around.

deinstein
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2007, 08:46:26 pm »

It's because it is one of the more exciting things going on...

[}:)]
TulsaFan-inTexas
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2007, 05:24:31 am »

I'm in Cape Canaveral (been here since the 3rd) and it's 65 degrees at 6:20 am. Eat your hearts out! [Smiley] The bad side is that I'm working 12 hours a day, 7 days a week and MLK day is no exception.

I've been watching the weather reports and it sounds like Tulsa is really getting whacked. I hope that DFW is okay by Wednesday when I return home. Stay safe and warm!
aoxamaxoa
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2007, 12:44:20 pm »

PSO/AEP continues to defoliage Tulsa and refuses to replant what they destroy and what's a bigger crime refuses to replace outdated hardware. They have different rules in different neighborhoods. It's a cheap donkey multi Billion company that keeps coming back to my woods to take trees out that were protected two or three years back and which were never close to threatening their lines. Their relationship with neighborhoods is to play divide and conquere. It is in the top 5 of worst corporate citizens in Tulsa.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2007, 01:28:13 pm »

I am not agreeing or disagreeing with your assessment of PSO as a corporate entity, but I am pleased that we have made it through a major ice storm with no outages in Tulsa County.

The un-trimmed Delaware, Mayes, McIntosh, Pittsburg and Rogers county residents have lost power.

Power is nothing till you use it.
tim huntzinger
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2007, 01:30:14 pm »

TheOklahoman: Reporter seeks fellow sledders
pmcalk
City Mother
City Father

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2007, 01:43:43 pm »

I took my kids this morning--great sledding, though it was difficult getting up the hill because of the ice.

I rue the day that my kids are grown, and I don't have an excuse to go sledding.

aoxamaxoa
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2007, 01:45:41 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by recyclemichael

I am not agreeing or disagreeing with your assessment of PSO as a corporate entity, but I am pleased that we have made it through a major ice storm with no outages in Tulsa County.

The un-trimmed Delaware, Mayes, McIntosh, Pittsburg and Rogers county residents have lost power.

WE have made it through due to sleet and not ice.....the only reason.
Chicken Little
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2007, 02:00:28 pm »

^That is correct.  Sleet, which is what Tulsa got, does not stick to trees and powerlines.  Freezing rain is rain that turns to ice when it hits an object that is colder than the freezing point.

Had Tulsa been iced like the areas to the southeast, I suspect we'd have tens of thousands without power, too.  We can't be for certain, because Tulsa and these other counties were hit by different kinds of weather.  

But I contend that our good luck (so far) is exactly that...good luck.  And my point is, why should we rely on luck when it is feasible, reasonable even, to bury overhead lines.
kristie22
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2007, 08:08:54 pm »

my sister and her family live in leach in delaware county. they lost power last night about 9:00. they were told the power crews would not come to repair lines until the roads were clear of downed trees. so my brother-in-law and some neighbors went out clearing the roads. my sister said she sat in her house today listening to trees break and crash to the ground all around her. "its amazing what and how far away you can hear when you have no sounds of t.v`s ,radio`s or cars" she said
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2007, 08:33:51 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by aoxamaxoa

quote:
Originally posted by recyclemichael

WE have made it through due to sleet and not ice.....the only reason.

As of the news this morning, PSO had about 25-30,000 people without power in NE Oklahoma. I was out in the storm constantly and I saw plenty of ice. Tulsa didn't get the brunt of the storm as well as the rampant tree clearing is what kept Tulsa in the clear.

Keep in mind the people deciding to clear trees are not the top hat guy from "Monopoly," it's not Donald Trump, it's a group of horticulturists (the kind who went to college) who determine whether foliage is considered a present or future threat. I can't imagine why they would deal with different neighborhoods in different ways, everyone on this board does that already.
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2007, 10:31:18 pm »

Two of my neighbors and I have been trying for 3+ years to get PSO to do some trimming around here. The lines running to our houses run right through nearly 300 yards of dense trees to the South before they get to our houses. So many that anytime the wind blows we get constant power surges/flashes/whatever you want to call it.

PSO's response? The same every time. We call. Within a week or two we each have a note on our door telling us they came out and looked and that the trees are not an issue?

You have got to be kidding me!!!

Cox also had the cable lines running along the same route. The trees became such an issue and were causing so many cable outages that Cox came out 18 months ago and ran new lines everywhere WHICH THEY BURIED.

Why can't PSO do the same?

Meanwhile we suffer through needless power interruptions and I lost several electical devices until I, at my own expense, hired an electrician to come out and install a whole house surge protection system.
AMP
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2007, 11:58:29 pm »

Had a similar problem with ONG and their fine representatives.  My home, on the end of a 1/4 mile private drive was on a so-called private line that ran thru a master meter near the main road. Gas line was shared by five other homes in our square mile neighborhood.  

A neighbbor close to the master meter was borrowing gas from the line.  ONG decided it was line loss, and cut off service due to safety.

Long story short, we all converted to either total electric or propane/electric.  At our expense.  ONG Rep came out and stated on the news that they are not a charity organization and could not afford to repair the line or in real terms get the thief off of it.

I was outraged by the report, but it did zero good.  Attorney for ONG is also our corporate attorney. He advised to convert to Propane.  LOL   Gota love the public utilities.
Chicken Little
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2007, 09:49:12 am »

quote:
Originally posted by wavoka

Cox also had the cable lines running along the same route. The trees became such an issue and were causing so many cable outages that Cox came out 18 months ago and ran new lines everywhere WHICH THEY BURIED.

Why can't PSO do the same?

Meanwhile we suffer through needless power interruptions and I lost several electical devices until I, at my own expense, hired an electrician to come out and install a whole house surge protection system.

PSO can do the same.  Don't be afraid of the $1,000,000 a mile talk...the cost varies a lot.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org