A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:20:04 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wine at Wal-Mart?  (Read 20914 times)
Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2007, 10:25:03 pm »

I would think a state constitutional amendment allowing a county-by-county vote might be more sympathetic.  That way those in areas that want to stay dry could do so, and they might be less inclined to turn out to vote against a statewide measure that simply empowered counties.
perspicuity85
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2007, 10:39:49 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Floyd

I would think a state constitutional amendment allowing a county-by-county vote might be more sympathetic.  That way those in areas that want to stay dry could do so, and they might be less inclined to turn out to vote against a statewide measure that simply empowered counties.

That's an interesting point.  If the current "modern" measure passes, I would assume it wouldn't apply to dry counties.  Does anyone know if that's true?
Steve
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2007, 09:44:37 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by perspicuity85

quote:
Originally posted by Floyd

That's an interesting point.  If the current "modern" measure passes, I would assume it wouldn't apply to dry counties.  Does anyone know if that's true?

Any town in Oklahoma with a population of 200 (I think) can have a retail package liquor store, so there are technically no completely dry counties in OK.  I would assume that the petition to allow wine/strong beer in grocery stores would ammend the original 1959 constitutional liquor regs, and apply to all counties statewide.  I think county option on this issue would be a mistake, just make the liquor laws more piecemeal and confusing.

Does anyone know what person or groups are behind the initiative to legalize strong beer/wine grocery store sales?  Would be quite interesting to know.
AMP
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2007, 09:52:35 pm »

Three arrested leaving the Chili Bowl event at Tulsa Expo last night.

Would not advise beer or alcohol consumption if you are attending the Chili Bowl Races.  Last night three people were arrested for DUI, and Public Intoxication after leaving the Expo Grounds.  

The cops are hip to people leaving there that have been drinking beer and hard alcohol.

Local Tulsa TV Channel 6 News had an interview with Expo Concessions that said they sold beer there during the event.   They also sell hard liquor at one of the vendor booths, and upstairs at the cocktail lounge.  

Unless you plan on walking to and sleeping at the Micro Tel, you are subject to arrest if you have consumed alcohol there.

DUI in Oklahoma is very expensive around $10,000 for first offense including attorney fees, DUI School, Probation Fees, loss of income, Court Fees, and up to 5 yrs Prison for 2nd offense.  Public Intox runs around $500 per incident.  

Cost the people arrested last night $200 for one and $900 for another just to pay to make bail, which is money lost to never be recovered.  

Defense Attornies, Bail Bonds, Prosecution and Judges making money off the Alky Burners once again.  

Better have a ton of money ready for bail and an attorney if you plan on drinking beer and riding or driving around in a motor vehicle in Oklahoma.  

Word to the wise....

Oklahoma, arrive on Vacation, leave on Probation.  Just ask McCually Culkin
AMP
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2007, 09:56:58 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Rico

This could be the solution we have been looking for.........

What do we do to get the Homeless people off the streets..?

Sell Wine at Wally World...

They could all set up a Camp in the ocean of asphalt surrounding the Isle of the Big Box....!

[^]

Homeless guys already drink from the grocery store.  The drink Listerene and other items in the grocery store that contain alcohol.  The steal the larg size of Listerene most times.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2007, 10:46:53 pm »

About 1 out of 3 deaths in the US is from Cardio Vascular Disease. One person dies every minute from Heart Disease. Someone suffers a stroke every minute and dies of one about every 3. etc. etc. these are highly influenced by diet and smoking.  lets not forget the obesity epidemic from bad eating habits as well.

Bad eating habits kill more Oklahomans and Americans each year than bad drinking habits.  Just as with good eating habits, good drinking habits can improve health.

Why do you never hear about laws banning Big Macs or not allowing MC Donalds to be open on Sunday?  How about we jump on the trans fats ban, bandwagon.

The one caveat I have for this came from reading a study about people who had moderate wine or alcohol consumption.  One of the doctors noted that part of the seen benefit may be from the observation that people who drink moderately also tend to do other things moderately. They already have a mindset and awareness for not just good drinking habits but good eating and exercise habits as well.

So it would be interesting to see in a state like ours, having people with higher than average obesity and bad health habits etc., what having more alchohol, more readily availible to these people (already apparently unable to make good health choices) will result in?

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
AMP
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2007, 12:48:58 am »

The junk fast food craze is out of convenience more than anything.  

Packed lines in the limited number of grocery stores left in Tulsa drive people through fast food lanes to save time.  Takes a 1/3 hour or longer to visit most the limited number of grocery stores in the area where I live.  

Many people trade off what is in the food for speed of delivery.  They just know that they need nourishment and they need it fast so they can move on to the next task to make another dollar to survive, deliver a kid to practice or a game, and run errands prior to arriving home at 9pm.  

Many operate in the "eat what you kill" income mode at most times.  Where time is money and money is time.   Can't buy healthy food quick, then settle for the next best thing.  

Chester's Quik Trip does offer an alternative.
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2007, 07:04:28 pm »

If Walmart sold wine, at least there would be one thing you could buy at Walmart that wasn't made in China...

Since some folks don't want to sell wine or liquor in grocery stores, how 'bout a compromise:  We continue to sell beer, wine and liquor in liquor stores, and just change the rules...so that they can stay open 24/7 every day of the week, they can sell beer cold, and they can sell mixers and limes.  Everybody's happy.

On second thought...let's just let anybody sell whatever they want.  Isn't the free market supposed to be a good thing?  Aren't conservatives usually for unrestricted, unfettered, unregulated industry?  Why not on this issue?  Weird.
AMP
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2007, 10:08:41 pm »

If you are in or on a motor vehicle as a passenger and law enforcement has a reason to stop the vehicle, then they find you have consumed alcohol, you can and most likely will be booked into jail for public intoxication in Oklahoma.  Happened to someone I know recently, and they were not drunk, had only consumed 2 Oklahoma cans of beer in tha past hour.  Person was not the driver of the vehicle, was a passenger in the back seat of a four door sedan.  

Based on that scenario, I fail to understand the dedicated driver concept, or allowing any "public" establishment to serve alcoholic beverages.  

If you are in "public" and have consumed alcohol, are you in violation of the "Public Intoxication" statute?

Can someone “splain” that to me ...
AMP
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2007, 10:19:34 pm »

http://www.cityoftulsa.org/OurCity/Ordinances/Title27.asp#Chapter7

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=ok&vol=/appeals/1977/&invol=1977okcr113
AMP
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2007, 10:24:47 pm »

CHAPTER 7
PUBLIC INTOXICATION
Section 700. Illegal Intoxication--Penalty.
SECTION 700. ILLEGAL INTOXICATION--PENALTY

A. Any person who shall, in any public place or in any vehicle, drink or otherwise consume any intoxicating liquor containing more than three and two-tenths percent (3.2%) alcohol measured by weight, except as authorized by the Oklahoma Beverage Control Act, or any other intoxicating substance, or intoxicating compound of any kind or inhale glue, paint or other intoxicating substance, shall be guilty of an offense.

B. Any person who shall be drunk or intoxicated in or upon any public or private road, in any vehicle, any public place or building, at any public gathering, place accessible to the public, or open to being viewed by others, from drinking or consuming such intoxicating liquor, intoxicating substance, or intoxicating compound or from the inhalation of glue, paint or other intoxicating substances, shall be guilty of an offense.

C. Any person who shall be drunk or intoxicated from any cause and who disturbs the peace of any person, shall be guilty of an offense.

D. It shall not be a violation of Subsection B of this section for any person to be
intoxicated on the premises of a private residence with the prior express consent of the
owner or any bona fide resident.

E. Any person found guilty of violating any offense included in this section
shall be punished by a fine of not more than TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS ($200.00),
excluding costs, fees and assessments.
Ord. Nos. 16354, 19128, 19605
AMP
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2007, 10:33:32 pm »

According to this law, the owner of a cafe or restaurant or any place of recreation  is required to make an intoxicated person leave and go outside into a more public place to be arrested on the Chapter 7 violation....

SECTION 901. PERMITTING INTOXICATED PERSONS TO REMAIN IN
CAFE, RESTAURANT OR PLACE OF RECREATION

CAFE, RESTAURANT OR PLACE OF RECREATION
It shall be an offense for any person operating a cafe or restaurant or any place of
recreation to permit any person to be drunk or intoxicated in such place of business. Any
person convicted of a violation of this section shall be punished by a fine of not more than
ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($100.00), excluding costs, and/or by imprisonment in the City
Jail for a period of not more than thirty (30) days.

TheTed
City Father

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2007, 12:32:07 am »

So it's legal to have open beer in your car as long as it's 3.2 beer?

perspicuity85
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2007, 01:36:58 am »

quote:
Originally posted by AMP

B. Any person who shall be drunk or intoxicated in or upon any public or private road, in any vehicle, any public place or building, at any public gathering, place accessible to the public, or open to being viewed by others, from drinking or consuming such intoxicating liquor, intoxicating substance, or intoxicating compound or from the inhalation of glue, paint or other intoxicating substances, shall be guilty of an offense.

So, does this mean if you get drunk at a private party and are driven home, you are guilty of public intox. for having a designated driver?  Kind of discourages anyone from wanting to be a designated driver doesn't it?
waterboy
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2007, 08:37:54 am »

I read that over and over. It looks like the designated driver or passenger is not subject to arrest unless he is
a.drunk
b.drinking in the vehicle.
I don't see where they can arrest you for having had a beer outside of the vehicle then residing in the vehicle unless you're drunk.

That said, I am aware that the police have been known to arrest an entire car load of partiers even when they are not drunk and not in possession of open containers of any alcoholic beverage. This occurred to my teenager about 8 years ago when the officer didn't care for the groups smarty pants attitude and simply arrested them all on public intox. No breathalizers, no open containers. The officers have the power to judge by behavior and breath whether you have publicly consumed and intoxicant. They had been drinking earlier and an ice chest with unopened beer was in the trunk. They were arrested, jailed and had to pay bond, go before a surly judge who fined them and pay atty fees. They all have a record now. Stupid abuse of power.

What does surprise me is part A. of the code which prohibits the consumption of in excess of 3.2 in public. Apparently you can swill a beer in public, but not a martini.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org