A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:00:48 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wine at Wal-Mart?  (Read 20916 times)
Trams
« on: January 07, 2007, 10:08:29 am »

In the spirit of populism, a new group is seeking to allow grocery stores and convenience stores (and others) the right to sell wine and "strong beer."  Apparently such a law would be considered a "modern law," as the group touts itself as "Oklahomas for Modern Laws."  In fact, these laws are SO modern that the supporters of the group remain anonymous.  

Tulsa World story.

Another story.

And one more.

A petition drive will soon be coming to a grocery store near you!
aoxamaxoa
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 01:10:29 pm »

Looking forward to signing the petition. Also, looking forward to better quality grocers coming to the city.

Feel sorry for the mom and pops. Not Fred Parkhill. Can you believe he's using the fear factor saying prices will go up. Perhaps on select wines. But what about the convienence factor?

If we want a healthier state and city, this change will invite the grocers that make a difference.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 01:47:00 pm »

I know Aox, Fred sounds like a whiney baby everytime he is interviewed about this. [Paraphrased]"Go ahead and vote for it, I'll raise my prices to spite you and then you'll be mad at yourselves"

Its disingenuous for him to claim he will raise prices when we all know that more purveyors in the market should drive prices down as competition grows. His attitude is already driving me away.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 04:00:55 pm »

Parkhill said he will have to raise his prices on hard liquor to compensate for lost revenue from wine and beer....I'm for having the Beer and Wine in other retail sites....

Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 04:07:46 pm »

I can't wait to sign.  I hope it goes through because this may be a one shot deal.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 04:28:54 pm »

Where can we sign it?
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 05:28:54 pm »

They seem pretty straight forward. This is from their website, "This petition is one of the simplest in state history. It simply says that, if approved by Oklahoma voters, any establishment that now sells 3.2% beer (grocery and convenience stores) will be able to sell wine and high-point beer for off-premises consumption".

This group is just now forming and they are trying to make as many contacts as possible. Go here and fill out their form and they will get you a petition.

http://modernlawsok.org/node/5

If you really want to get involved, Give them your name say they can use it to impress others, make a small donation to the effort, and circulate a petition.

They need 219,000 signatures plus want a contingency of 25% as a buffer.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Trams
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 05:48:57 pm »

I don't care about the financial well-being of various liquor stores around town ... but I wonder if there is a social benefit to keeping wine and high point beer out of the grocery aisle?  Why would we want to increase the number of places where strong alcohol can be purchased by drunk drivers?  At all times of the night too.  Isn't there a rational argument for maintaining the status quo on this issue?
inteller
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 09:08:11 pm »

well dont worry, i'm sure the state will make it so that only Boones and other low point "wine" can be sold.
deinstein
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2007, 10:58:49 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Trams
  In fact, these laws are SO modern that the supporters of the group remain anonymous.

Hi, I'm David Einstein. I support these proposed laws. And I wouldn't call these laws modern, I'd simply call them the norm throughout the country.

I enjoyed getting my alcohol at 10PM on Sunday for New Years Eve festivities when back home in North Carolina for the break...and I don't think your bigoted opinion should stop me from having this privilege.

Thanks and have a nice day.
AMP
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2007, 11:05:26 pm »

Good Grief.....

Please do not allow this to happen here. Beer and Tobacco products and those pesky Lottery and Scratch n Snif tickets are bad enough.  

Texas allows sales of alcoholhic beverages wine and beer in their grocery stores and low quality stop n shop type gas stations along the highway.

When traveling and time calls for a nature stop or for fuel and you end up at one of those Booze Traps it sure sucks.  Don't have any thing worth over a dollar out in the open in your vehicle or it will be snatched up.  

Get ready to be panhandled to death by every type of alky burning person, most are trying to get enough money for gas to get to the next town the story goes.

I think all alcohol and tobacco products should be illegal just like most other drugs, but that is another issue.
deinstein
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2007, 11:09:49 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by AMP

I think all alcohol and tobacco products should be illegal just like most other drugs, but that is another issue.

That's like...you're opinion, man.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 07:24:58 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Trams

I don't care about the financial well-being of various liquor stores around town ... but I wonder if there is a social benefit to keeping wine and high point beer out of the grocery aisle?  Why would we want to increase the number of places where strong alcohol can be purchased by drunk drivers?  At all times of the night too.  Isn't there a rational argument for maintaining the status quo on this issue?

No.
traveler
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2007, 08:54:23 am »

Fred's response was disingenuous -- worked in D.C. for over a year, there was a wine shop right next door to a Whole Foods. Wake up Fred, if you're going to sell wine, focus on quality and service and let the QT stock the jug wines. Also a question, this is Oklahoma after all [Smiley]
will a grocery store be able to sell on Sunday?
bigdtottown
Activist

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007, 09:13:11 am »

Yes, banning alcohol sales...very effective the last time that was tried![Cheesy]
On a related note, does anyone remember what law was changed back in the late 70's. I remember being able to buy "6 point" beer like Michelob at liquor stores but it ended, but I don't recall the exact issue.  I think it may have had something to do with refrigeration encouraging on site consumption or something.
I'm also not sure what the earleir poster was talking about as far as getting panhandled in Texas...it's never happened to me and I've been in Dallas most of the last 25 years.  BTW, much of Texas is dry so I'm not sure what "booze traps" you are referring to...

Buck
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org