A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:54:43 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whole Foods  (Read 23011 times)
Kenosha
Philanthropist

« on: December 20, 2006, 10:25:32 am »

I've heard from reliable sources that Whole Foods Market is currently negotiating with Wal-Mart to occupy their old 91st and Memorial store.  Don't know how far along the negotiations are, or if Wal-mart will allow it, but it is interesting nonetheless.

tulsa1603
Philanthropist

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 10:59:32 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kenosha

I've heard from reliable sources that Whole Foods Market is currently negotiating with Wal-Mart to occupy their old 91st and Memorial store.  Don't know how far along the negotiations are, or if Wal-mart will allow it, but it is interesting nonetheless.

I love that store...too bad about the 91st and Memorial location, though...

Dana431
Armchair Urbanist
Civic Leader

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 11:35:04 am »

Cool!  www.wholefoodsmarket.com
aoxamaxoa
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 11:50:49 am »

Broker puffery...don't believe this rumor.

Whole Foods will come here someday when grocery store lobby overtakes Parkhill et al and the wholesellers...

State is working on it but I fear this is a ways off....

Whole Foods rocks!
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 01:40:41 pm »

I'm a little skeptical of this because I'm under the impression that Whole Foods primarily tends to build new locations. Plus, they generally don't locate in states where they can't sell wine in their stores. It would be cool though.

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
perspicuity85
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 02:29:43 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by aoxamaxoa

Whole Foods will come here someday when grocery store lobby overtakes Parkhill et al and the wholesellers...

Whole Foods rocks!

Is the state really working on that?  Do you have any specific information?  Oklahoma's laws concerning alcohol are extremely ignorant.  In the longrun, all they do is cost people more money.
Since we brought this up, I would just like to say that I believe 3.2 beer actually promotes alcoholism more than regular(5% on average) beer.  The fact is, there are many respectable law-abiding citizens who occasionally just want to get a little bit drunk.  If they have to drink several beers to do that, then drinking several beers becomes a habit.  Since alcoholism is based on habituation, making a habit out of drinking more drinks is more likely to result in alcoholism.  It also leads people to believe they can continue to drink more, long after they're highly intoxicated, which can lead to alcohol poisoning.  Furthermore, I learned in a health/fitness class in college that 3.2 beer is absorbed better and faster by the body than regular beer because it has more fillers.  So, in the longrun, the body will absorb about as much alcohol from 3.2 beer as it will from regular beer.
I can't believe Oklahoma grocery stores can't sell wine.  There is an obvious difference in the average wine customer and the average person going out to get hammered.  It's not like you're going to see a bunch of guys at a frat party funneling pinot grigio!
aoxamaxoa
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 02:35:39 pm »

There are individuals in state government who would like to see this changed but are fully aware of who holds the keys.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 02:58:41 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Double A

I'm a little skeptical of this because I'm under the impression that Whole Foods primarily tends to build new locations. Plus, they generally don't locate in states where they can't sell wine in their stores. It would be cool though.

I'd tend to think a store that specializes in organic foods wouldn't be completely tied up in liquor laws.

This rumor has circulated before, not a specific location though. We'll see how it pans out.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 03:58:48 pm »

I will start eating natural foods when people stop dying of natural causes.

Power is nothing till you use it.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 07:24:28 pm »

Sadly I don't think we'll see Whole Foods until groceries allow wine/beer in their stores.  That could be as early as 2008 if it makes it onto the ballet as a state question.  I would love to see a new highrise condo tower downtown or uptown with an urban Whole Foods on the ground level.  Now THAT would be cool.

traveler
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 10:24:22 pm »

Not precisely on topic -- checked with a wine store franchise that specializes in wines under $25. Can't do it in Oklahoma because of our "interesting" liquor laws -- don't look for Whole Foods any time soon...[xx(]
Kenosha
Philanthropist

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 11:18:33 pm »

The wine thing is really not the major deterrent for Whole Foods. Philadelphia and Minneapolis both have the same restrictions on liqour and wine as Tulsa.

The major deterrents are demographics and economy.

azbadpuppy
Philanthropist

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2006, 11:11:08 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kenosha

The wine thing is really not the major deterrent for Whole Foods. Philadelphia and Minneapolis both have the same restrictions on liqour and wine as Tulsa.

The major deterrents are demographics and economy.

Absolutely true. It has very little to do with being able to sell wine/beer and much more to do with economic factors and suitable locations.

The northeast states have crazier liquor laws than OK and they have Whole Foods and Trader Joes without them being able to sell alcohol.

okcpulse
Civic Leader

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2006, 12:23:31 pm »

A group known as Oklahomans for Modern Laws will be circulating a petition this year to get the state question on the 2008 general election ballot.  Support this group in anyway you can for change in Oklahoma.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2006, 01:48:02 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by perspicuity85

quote:
Originally posted by aoxamaxoa

Whole Foods rocks!

Is the state really working on that?  Do you have any specific information?  Oklahoma's laws concerning alcohol are extremely ignorant.  In the longrun, all they do is cost people more money.
Since we brought this up, I would just like to say that I believe 3.2 beer actually promotes alcoholism more than regular(5% on average) beer.  The fact is, there are many respectable law-abiding citizens who occasionally just want to get a little bit drunk.  If they have to drink several beers to do that, then drinking several beers becomes a habit.  Since alcoholism is based on habituation, making a habit out of drinking more drinks is more likely to result in alcoholism.  It also leads people to believe they can continue to drink more, long after they're highly intoxicated, which can lead to alcohol poisoning.  Furthermore, I learned in a health/fitness class in college that 3.2 beer is absorbed better and faster by the body than regular beer because it has more fillers.  So, in the longrun, the body will absorb about as much alcohol from 3.2 beer as it will from regular beer.
I can't believe Oklahoma grocery stores can't sell wine.  There is an obvious difference in the average wine customer and the average person going out to get hammered.  It's not like you're going to see a bunch of guys at a frat party funneling pinot grigio!

No, but they will funnel boones farm.

Just an FYI, it's the alcohol that's considered the addictive component. Drinking more filler isn't having that much of an effect.

With nearby states like Louisiana which have laws so overly lax that the governor has said they're stupid, they have an out of control DUI and alcohol use has had an effect on other areas. Oklahoma can't even manage to keep up with enforcement of tobacco laws, what makes you think increasing the locations alcohol is sold is going to do.

I am not going to support the hundreds of thousands of dollars spent in overhead and enforcement to change a law just to avoid shopping at two stores. The "we have to buy everything in one place" mentality is killing Tulsa enough as it is.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org