A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:23:10 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Urban Wildlife  (Read 44570 times)
jne
Philanthropist

« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2008, 11:45:33 am »

I saw a snowy owl in BA a couple of years ago - NS.  I was riding in a car and it took out of a tree and floated right along side for a few seconds, my jaw nearly hit the floorboard.

Also, within weeks, I woke up to some crazy screaming sound.  It turned out to be a tiny little owl sitting in the tree in the front yard.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 12:30:31 pm by jne » Logged

Vote for the two party system!
-one one Friday and one on Saturday.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2008, 12:48:47 pm »

I've noticed more hawks over the house than I used to.  Maybe feasting on what seems to be an increased populous of squirrels in my area of 27th and Yale.

Have some flying squirrels jumping tree to tree causing quite a bit of excitement for my two dogs.

I used to see fox in the Sears lot on 21st and Yale but it's been a while.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 12:49:52 pm by Townsend » Logged
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2008, 12:56:19 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Townsend

Maybe feasting on what seems to be an increased populous of squirrels in my area of 27th and Yale.

I also noticed quite a few more squirrels in my backyard than usual this year. My pecan tree wasn't too damaged, so I figured they probably abandoned my neighbors trees. LOL.

Send some of those hawks my way, please.

---Robert
grahambino
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2008, 01:05:24 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by jne

I saw a snowy owl in BA a couple of years ago - NS.  I was riding in a car and it took out of a tree and floated right along side for a few seconds, my jaw nearly hit the floorboard.

Also, within weeks, I woke up to some crazy screaming sound.  It turned out to be a tiny little owl sitting in the tree in the front yard.

charky
Civic Leader

« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2008, 02:19:24 pm »

Captured this little guy last fall in our crawlspace. He had been scampering around in the duct work (scared the crap outta my wife). Fun times trying to find the hole he found in the duct work.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2008, 02:30:02 pm »

quote:

I've noticed more hawks over the house than I used to.  Maybe feasting on what seems to be an increased populous of squirrels in my area of 27th and Yale.

Have some flying squirrels jumping tree to tree causing quite a bit of excitement for my two dogs.

I used to see fox in the Sears lot on 21st and Yale but it's been a while.

I have seen that fox before.

I saw a cat carrying a big squirrel next to the bike path behind Westport last week, you could tell he was real proud of himself.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2008, 02:55:57 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by charky

Captured this little guy last fall in our crawlspace. He had been scampering around in the duct work (scared the crap outta my wife). Fun times trying to find the hole he found in the duct work.

Opossum or rat?  

Looks like a Disney character.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2008, 03:41:42 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

quote:

Opossum or rat?  

Looks like a baby Opossum.  

Does he sing or dance?

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
charky
Civic Leader

« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2008, 04:17:13 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Gaspar

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

quote:

Opossum or rat?  

Looks like a baby Opossum.  

Does he sing or dance?

Definitely a baby possum. My daughter got to pet it in the cage and wanted to keep it. Bark is worse than the bite...for the possum that is.

Jonette
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2008, 12:45:00 am »

Poor little guy,scared out of his wits.

I live at 41st and Riverside and drive between OSU Medical Center and home each night after 11. Good time to see fox running around.

One time I was at Riverside and Southwest Blvd around midnight and seen a fox run across Riverside and right after it was a jack russell terrier chasing it like the dickens. The chase was on!!! They ran off under the SW Blvd bridge and into the night. Hope the jack russell found his way home after that.
[:O]

The other night I seen 3 different coons run into storm drains at different places. It musta been a night out for them all.

My lhasa and a fox had a stare down right here by the house one night last summer. It was great and the fox finally just turned around and walked away. My dog was like "what the crap was that?!"

One more story. 2 years ago a friend of mine was going to adopt a dog, so we went to the animal shelter on Erie. When we went down the road to the shelter, we seen 2 yellow kittens playing by the side of the shelter road,I was sure someone had dumped them. Well we went to the shelter and it was closed. We left and as we approached the kittens a hawk suddenly swooped down and snatched one of the kittens up and flew off!!We were so shocked to have seen it happen right before our eyes!! I was raised in the country so I understand this stuff but my city raised friend was freaked out!!

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2008, 08:51:55 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Jonette

One more story. 2 years ago a friend of mine was going to adopt a dog, so we went to the animal shelter on Erie. When we went down the road to the shelter, we seen 2 yellow kittens playing by the side of the shelter road,I was sure someone had dumped them. Well we went to the shelter and it was closed. We left and as we approached the kittens a hawk suddenly swooped down and snatched one of the kittens up and flew off!!We were so shocked to have seen it happen right before our eyes!! I was raised in the country so I understand this stuff but my city raised friend was freaked out!!

When I lived in WI near the UP we'd have regular stories of golden eagles flying off with poor Mrs. ----'s poodle...et al.  

"I could hear her screaming as she was being carried away."  

How bad would that suck?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2008, 09:50:58 am »

quote:

quote:

When I lived in WI near the UP we'd have regular stories of golden eagles flying off with poor Mrs. ----'s poodle...et al.  

"I could hear her screaming as she was being carried away."  

How bad would that suck?

When I lived out at 105th & Yale, I heard stories about small dogs getting "airlifted".  At the time we had a rather large Yorkie.  

One of our friends down the block had a 6 or 7 pound Shih Tzu.  

She called the house one morning hysterical:

"Gizzie's gone!  Gizzie's gone!  I can't find her?"

I guess I didn't realize how loud I'd made the sound effect, but my wife was ready to kill me when she got off the phone.

I was making raptor sound effects in the back-ground and I guess her friend heard the "eeek, eeeek, rawwwwk, rawwwwkk!"

Some people who bought two of our Yorkie pups lost them to a couple of coyotes who scaled an 8 ft wall, not fence, to get into their backyard near 101st & Sheridan a few years back.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2008, 12:08:39 pm »

"Local vets are telling FOX23 that predators like coyotes and foxes are moving into the city and attacking people's pets."

http://www.fox23.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=182f6f2a-340c-4ec0-9eac-2583996f7526

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2008, 01:07:19 pm »

quote:

Poor little guy,scared out of his wits.

I live at 41st and Riverside and drive between OSU Medical Center and home each night after 11. Good time to see fox running around.

One time I was at Riverside and Southwest Blvd around midnight and seen a fox run across Riverside and right after it was a jack russell terrier chasing it like the dickens. The chase was on!!! They ran off under the SW Blvd bridge and into the night. Hope the jack russell found his way home after that.

The other night I seen 3 different coons run into storm drains at different places. It musta been a night out for them all.

My lhasa and a fox had a stare down right here by the house one night last summer. It was great and the fox finally just turned around and walked away. My dog was like "what the crap was that?!"

That is quite a story- I guess after dark wildlife gets more active. I have not seen much wildlife where I live, but on the rural sections of the local jogging trails I have seen alot of deer, turkeys and many kinds of birds, and even alot of black snakes that have a stripe on their back I dunno if they are poisonous or not so I keep my distance-- this is during the daylight hours. Who knows what goes on after dark.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2008, 08:10:02 am »

Something new for me.

I was getting into my truck yesterday evening about 5:45 when one of the flying squirrels landed feet from me in the yard.  That was a surprise.

The bigger surprise was seconds later a hawk landed on the squirrel and assisted it to shed its mortal coil.

I was attempting to get a picture of it but alas, I am too slow and the bird was too quick.  Anyway, that's my Marlin Perkins moment.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org