A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:47:11 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Urban Wildlife  (Read 44482 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« on: December 17, 2006, 12:39:38 am »

This fox looked to be almost the size of an average dog, and just sat there in the road on 25th St. near the Broken Arrow Expressway.

Seemed much less interested in me as I crept past than whatever animal was on the other side of the fence, but he does seem to be well-fed.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 08:52:58 am »

I saw a fox yesterday afternoon, he ran across 21st just east of Lewis at about 2:00. Might even be the same one, he looked young.

I wish I had my camera with me.
tulsa1603
Philanthropist

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 10:55:28 pm »

I've seen a little fox here in Florence Park two or three times...  I've also seen more than a few racoons around here, too.  My co-worker saw one trotting down the middle of Boston Avenue near 18th one morning at 5am.

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 09:17:49 am »

When I lived near Crow Creek I saw Raccoon, fox, rabbits, skunk (my labrador got the business end of one once) and such all of the time. Now that I live closer to DT and the river, all I ever see are opossum.
unknown
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 04:19:23 pm »

I saw a fox around 4:00 this morning close to 56th and Riverside.
Steve
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 11:56:30 pm »

I have seen foxes and sundry wildlife in my well established (52+ years old) subdivision at 26th St. South and Yale.  They are not encroaching on our territory, we are violating theirs.  Respect the wildlife, and they will give you no problems, in my experience.
si_uk_lon_ok
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2006, 05:16:51 am »

I think its a bit sad that for the most part I can judge the concentration  of wildlife by whats left of them by the side of the road.
jdb
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2006, 08:32:19 am »

Been a Mama Fox running Kenosha for years now.

There was a slew of rabbits that lived in the "grove" on the 3rd st. vacant lot.
With the trees now felled: guess she won't be coming back from here out.

But there'll never be a shortage of 'coons.
Got enough of those to choke Godzilla.

Don't guess regular bum's count as wildlife, but we can't leave out the Big Foot that migrates up and down the RR tracks behind John Taylor's Citgo station on 2nd.
Type B personality, fer sure.

Squirrells ain't such good eatin' raw: nor filling if your a big, fat, starving guy. jdb
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 06:05:02 pm »

"It's big, and it flies, and it's attacking runners at River Parks."

http://www.tulsaworld.com/NewsStory.asp?ID=070110_Ne_a1_air

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
aoxamaxoa
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 06:09:16 pm »

Birds are our friends....they are lead indicators....

Do you think the birds on Riverside might be telling us something.

pmcalk
City Mother
City Father

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 10:41:12 pm »

Has anyone noticed the two bald eagles along Riverside between 41st & 51st (east side)?  I know bald eagles have been nesting around the area for a while, but I have been amazed at how frequently I see them these days.  I have seen one or two of them every morning for the past week.

cks511
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 12:43:04 pm »

Yes, I've seen those two eagles and saw another one gliding around 11th yesterday.... AND I've been attacked by the owl.  There's also a HUGE red fox that trots down the trail between 11th and 15th about 4AM some mornings and he's not scared of much.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 11:14:37 am »

The neighborhood fox ran in front of me at 26th & Harvard Saturday night (probably positioning himself for Sunday night's Curbside Buffet).
I also suspect there may be fewer stray cats roaming around here, given his size.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2007, 12:36:48 pm »

There was an owl in my front yard yesterday. Apparently foxes like owls because I saw one near hooters a few months ago.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2007, 02:26:30 pm »

Got to love that "you cant catch me" look.
http://www.tulsabeautiful.com/foxincemetary/index.htm

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org