A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:38:10 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Breaking: TPD responses only to verified alarms  (Read 5847 times)
makelifebetter4ok
« on: December 15, 2006, 07:42:16 am »

ONLY on Our T-World.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 09:47:35 am »

The alarm companies have caused this problem. They call police to investigate and 98.7% of the time it is a false alarm.

They have created a business where they get paid and then make the public pick up the tab responding to false alarms.

Why should my tax dollars pay for a system that is so poorly operated? The KTUL story says that there were 24,000 alarm calls last year and only 312 were actual problems.

I want the police to do more important things than to repond to 23,688 false alarms.

Power is nothing till you use it.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 11:13:49 am »

" Less than 6 months later on March 25, 2005, Milwaukee's Police Chief Nannette Hegerty is already calling the program a success at the same time she's calling for a new ordinance banning homeowners and business owners from checking on their own homes or businesses when an alarm sounds. Chief Hegerty called the practice 'dangerous.'  "

I have to admit im a little concerned about any  ordinance that potentially compels a homeowner to confront a burglar before a call to the police is justified.  This one needs some work.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
MichaelC
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 11:17:27 am »

Private security.  Force the alarm companies to check their own alarms.  Pass the bill on to the owners.
Hawkins
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 11:33:53 am »

B.S.

Business owners pay taxes for a police department.

What else are they doing in the middle of the night when most of these alarms go off? Who cares if most of them are false alarms, its not hurting anybody's tax dollars, its just interrupting late-night coffee and pancake-house breaks for the officers.

MH2010
Philanthropist

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 01:34:41 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

B.S.

What else are they doing in the middle of the night when most of these alarms go off? Who cares if most of them are false alarms, its not hurting anybody's tax dollars, its just interrupting late-night coffee and pancake-house breaks for the officers.

Well, in the middle of the night we respond to armed robberies, rapes, domestic violence calls, 1st degree burglaries, child abuse, child neglect, elderly abuse, people stranded on the side of the road, assist calls from OHP, homicides, SWIK's, Assaults, AWDW's, disturbances, and prowler calls. The response times to all of these type calls would improve if we didn't answer 23,688 false alarms.
tulsa1603
Philanthropist

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 03:37:18 pm »

Why has everyone gone to the silent alarm?  Why not go back to the noisy audible alarms?  I can't imagine a thief hanging out in a house with a loud siren screaming for all the neighbors to hear.

Steve
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2006, 03:45:05 pm »

How does an alarm company know if a tripped alarm is false or an actual break-in, without someone being there to inspect?  Several homes around me have had their home alarms go off over the past 5-6 years, and I have yet to see an alarm company representative or a TPD officer show up to investigate.  TPD simply does not have the manpower to check out all the alarm calls.
I think the best a homeowner can hope is the noise from an alarm will alert the neighbors and scare off any potential intruders.  I would not expect a police response.
Yes tulsa1603, I have at least one neighbor that has converted from a silent to audible alarm.  Silent alarms, in light of the TPD manpower situation, seem a waste of money to me.
nsugrad_05
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2006, 06:21:47 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by MH2010

quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

B.S.

Well, in the middle of the night we respond to armed robberies, rapes, domestic violence calls, 1st degree burglaries, child abuse, child neglect, elderly abuse, people stranded on the side of the road, assist calls from OHP, homicides, SWIK's, Assaults, AWDW's, disturbances, and prowler calls. The response times to all of these type calls would improve if we didn't answer 23,688 false alarms.

Amen, MH. You kept me from typing the same thing. But, you forget about snagging drunk drivers to help keep the taxpayers alive, and with reasonable insurance rates. At least the TPD has an alarm permit system. Out in the cuunty we still respond to the all alarms that go off every night at the same time, with the same trip information.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 11:21:32 pm »

A paragraph on FOX23:
http://www.fox23.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=383b72ad-838b-4337-9e7e-ee195aa0bfbb

a little more on 6:
http://www.kotv.com/news/local/story/?id=117508

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 09:50:30 am »

I have an alarm and TPD has only come out once. I was out of town as was any family who could check it for me, so TPD went out "at their leisure" just to make sure it was false. If TPD wanted to charge $50 for such a service, that would be fine too.

If an alarm has to be verifiable as true, why would you need an alarm?
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 11:48:45 am »

Technology can save us on this.

Alarm companies can find reasonable ways to verify an alarm besides just calling the cops that motion detector went off or someone knocked hard on a door.

A camera system can be installed to be verification for just a few dollars more or two separate alarms (a window, door or motion detector) could be considered verification.

I think an audible alarm, a nosy neighbor and a well trained dog is the best combination.

Power is nothing till you use it.
rwarn17588
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 01:00:54 pm »

A noisy dog is the best burglar alarm. I live in Red Fork, and nobody has any break-ins because there are barking dogs all over the place that start bellowing if anything's amiss.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2007, 02:29:11 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by recyclemichael

Technology can save us on this.

More up-to-date alarms contain programs to help verify their own reports, by analyzing sequences of violations to help distinguish a burglar's progress through a protected premises from that of a door being rattled by the wind.

This maker features Cross Zone reporting that "provides an additional report to the central station about events on the premises.  The cross zone police code is transmitted when there are two different alarms during any armed-to-armed period."  

An exterior door or window opening isnt conclusive of a burglary, but if it is immediately followed by interior motion detection or the opening of interior doors, you can bet it isnt just the wind.    

I can realistically see response times being adjusted in accordance to more thorough reporting by either neighbors or the system itself, but god help us when someone is killed verifying their own alarm or because police downgraded their response.

rwarn17588
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2007, 02:33:08 pm »

God forbid if *anyone's* killed over *anything.*

But when you've got more than 98 percent of burglar alarms going off for no good reason, then something has to be done. You can't have cops running willy-nilly all over the place for the possibility of that 1.5 percent when there are obviously more pressing concerns.

It sounds like this is a problem for the alarm companies to solve. Or get yourselves a noisy dog.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org