A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:30:40 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 18 Hole Golf Course at Riverparks ? Where is it?  (Read 3379 times)
AMP
« on: December 05, 2006, 11:29:56 am »

Watching Tulsa Fantastic Films Sunday night, which was a valuable educational tool to test the accuracy of politics. Just wish they would of had comments on the Turner Turnpike being paid off in X number of years.  LOL  

Common thread during the entire showing of films taken in Tulsa, was that was torn down, that no longer exists, that was demolished, the parades no longer are held.  No Longer seemed to be used dozens of times in the film.  And at one time he even said, we could go on for hours showing things in Tulsa that no longer are here.  Now that is totally sad.

Among his wonderful collection of home movies and other clips, I caught a newsreel of News Anchor Jack Morris doing a promotion piece on the River Parks Tax deal.  Included were to be dozens of high scale shops, restaurants and retail stores.  A long pier that people could fish and walk on.  Plus an 18 Hole Golf Course.

Anyone know where that Golf Course is at the Riverparks? And where are the stores and shops and restaurants?

Sounds to me as if we have already paid for these improvements at River Parks, but never got them.  Correct me if I am wrong.

Or, a better question is, Where is the Money that was allocated to build all this?  All I see there is a fountain, a modified walk over bridge that already existed and a few small parking lots.  Appears from Jack Morris' illustrative comments of what was to be, that there is a lot missing.  

Anyone else catch that?
AMP
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 11:37:16 am »

Another question.  How many seats and how large was the original Round Civic Center Convention Building to of been? It was the one shown on the scale model during the Tulsa Fantastick Films movies.  

For some reason we ended up with a much smaller rectangle box shaped building.

Was that yet another downsized from original plans, over budget, money missing Tulsa Good Ol Boys construction project?

Someone needs to follow up on this.

Where are the Tulsa World reporters? At least one radio station talk show host has some sort of a clue here.
Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 01:36:20 pm »

It's a Frisbee golf course.  They have national competitions there.  I don't have time to look for a link - somebody else do it.
tulsa1603
Philanthropist

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 01:45:22 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by AMP

Watching Tulsa Fantastic Films Sunday night, which was a valuable educational tool to test the accuracy of politics. Just wish they would of had comments on the Turner Turnpike being paid off in X number of years.  LOL  

Common thread during the entire showing of films taken in Tulsa, was that was torn down, that no longer exists, that was demolished, the parades no longer are held.  No Longer seemed to be used dozens of times in the film.  And at one time he even said, we could go on for hours showing things in Tulsa that no longer are here.  Now that is totally sad.

Among his wonderful collection of home movies and other clips, I caught a newsreel of News Anchor Jack Morris doing a promotion piece on the River Parks Tax deal.  Included were to be dozens of high scale shops, restaurants and retail stores.  A long pier that people could fish and walk on.  Plus an 18 Hole Golf Course.

Anyone know where that Golf Course is at the Riverparks? And where are the stores and shops and restaurants?

Sounds to me as if we have already paid for these improvements at River Parks, but never got them.  Correct me if I am wrong.

Or, a better question is, Where is the Money that was allocated to build all this?  All I see there is a fountain, a modified walk over bridge that already existed and a few small parking lots.  Appears from Jack Morris' illustrative comments of what was to be, that there is a lot missing.  

Anyone else catch that?

Well, they were also promoting a pier/bridge concept similar to the ponte vecchio (sp?) in Florence, and I don't see that either.  I think that was a promotion for a tax that must have failed.  It looked like it was done in the early to mid 60's, and the stuff that is actually there was done in the mid 70's to early 80's, I'd say.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 01:59:48 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by AMP

Anyone else catch that?

My assumption was that the tax for the river things did not pass.  I did like the idea of the bridge with the buildings on it.  Very classic like the old european cities.  They definitely had a vision for how they wanted Tulsa to be. Having both classic and modern but sophisticated in approach to each.  Would love to see more renderings and plans of what their ideas were for the river and that bridge.  If that bridge had been built it would have been extremely unique to the US and would have been a defining feature for Tulsa. You could tell they wanted Tulsa to be a world class city. What did happen to those plans?

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
perspicuity85
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 04:54:02 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by AMP

Another question.  How many seats and how large was the original Round Civic Center Convention Building to of been?

I read somewhere last summer that the original plan for the Convention Center, proposed in 1958, was for a 15,000 seat arena.  It would have been one of the largest in the US at that time.  I actually wrote it down just because I thought it was interesting.  From what I hear from some who lived in Tulsa in the 1960s, the Civic Ctr. and PAC were on voter's ballots for over 10 years before they actually passed.

I know this sounds random, but I think I read that fact while eating lunch at Billy Ray's BBQ in West Tulsa.  I think some of the dining tables have old newspaper excerpts under the finish.  Could anyone verify this?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org