A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:39:02 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bumgarner on Cherry Street  (Read 16286 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2007, 03:35:47 pm »

In a country based on the free-market and the rights of property owners the best way to protect ones property is to put your money where your mouth is.  If the neighborhood *REALLY* doesnt want a bank to go in at a certain location get together and by the lot from them.  Better yet, incorporate the neighborhood association and deed covenants into all of the lots.

While we do need government to step in and lay down the law from time to time, gripes including "it doesnt look nice there" shouldn't be enough for the government to infringe on someones property rights.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
AVERAGE JOE
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2007, 03:45:10 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Double A

quote:
Originally posted by AVERAGE JOE

quote:
Originally posted by Double A

I remember how the rules of the Mid Town Redux study were manipulated to favor these interests...

Do tell. Specifically who are you accusing of corruption on the Redux study?

You know as well as I do that that special concessions were made to developers in regards to parking issues. Or how about advertising the study as specific to one area of town, only to have it changed to be a hypothetical area when the participants arrived? Maybe you should talk to the Neighborhood Reps who participated and ask them if they are happy with the process, most of the ones I've spoken with are not.

There are only about 27,000 misconceptions floating around out there about what the study was and wasn't supposed to be. Your assertions above are pretty high on that list.

Hate to break this to you, but of all the people I've spoken to about the study (probably 200+), it's developers who are the least happy about it.
deinstein
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2007, 05:49:03 pm »

No different than the Metro Lofts.
janle
Citizen

« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2007, 09:11:42 am »

quote:
Hate to break this to you, but of all the people I've spoken to about the study (probably 200+), it's developers who are the least happy about it.

What have they said?

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding."
Albert Einstein
jtcrissup
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2007, 04:59:37 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist

Just a question,,,

Where along the section around 21st, Utica, and Cherry Street do people think it would be ok to build something, like more mid-rise condos/business structures?  

Artist-

I live near 21st and Utica and I would LOVE to see them do something with the parking lot/open area that is fenced off on the NW corner of 21st and Utica.  I believe Utica Sq (which correct me if I am wrong is owned by one of the Helmrichs) owns this area as they have storage of materials and I often see the Utica Sq Security vehicles parked over there.  I am keeping my fingers crossed that once Utica Place is complete they will do a similar scaled development (mid-rise with residential/retail/restaurant mix use) to enhance/expand on Utica Square.  I think the existing parking structure could be utilized/expanded on as it never seems to have many cars in it (maybe they just aren't there when I am walking by?).

My 2 cents.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2007, 07:36:40 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by jtcrissup

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist

Just a question,,,

Where along the section around 21st, Utica, and Cherry Street do people think it would be ok to build something, like more mid-rise condos/business structures?  

Artist-

I live near 21st and Utica and I would LOVE to see them do something with the parking lot/open area that is fenced off on the NW corner of 21st and Utica.  I believe Utica Sq (which correct me if I am wrong is owned by one of the Helmrichs) owns this area as they have storage of materials and I often see the Utica Sq Security vehicles parked over there.  I am keeping my fingers crossed that once Utica Place is complete they will do a similar scaled development (mid-rise with residential/retail/restaurant mix use) to enhance/expand on Utica Square.  I think the existing parking structure could be utilized/expanded on as it never seems to have many cars in it (maybe they just aren't there when I am walking by?).

My 2 cents.

The large building that was there was torn down so that Helmrich and Payne could build their new headquarters there.  They moved downtown during the interim.  Rumor has it that they may now stay downtown, which I am sure would be good for downtown. I also recall someone saying that the Helmrich people dont like the Utica Place people lol, so I have no idea what is now to become of that property.  

But I am in agreement with you, that is a prime spot for a great development.  Business on the ground or first few floors and living above, perhaps a hotel.  A high loggia fronting the whole property along 21st would be stunning and would definitely make the area feel very European and walkable.  That one property if done right could make that part of town into a stunning asset and a wow feature.

Something along these lines would do nicely.[Cheesy][Cheesy]

If only they would put me in charge.[Tongue]

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2007, 10:09:27 pm »

What is the empty little patch of land on the west side of Utica just north of Swan Lake (I think at the corner of 17th Pl.) - Someone likely owns it, looks like something was cleared off of it?

Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2007, 09:22:41 am »

It was the contractor staging area for the St. John's construction.  Now that the expansion is finished, I assume St. John's owns it.  No idea what is planned . . .
janle
Citizen

« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2007, 10:27:33 am »

That piece of property is owned by Hinkle the dentist. He has had plans to build a large clinic. I do not know where it stands. Does anyone ?

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding."
Albert Einstein
USRufnex
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2007, 04:00:48 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by aoxamaxoa

You can make all those personal attacks on John and Chris but they seem to be doing some fine developments. The one you are alluding to has been on the board for several years. Too bad they don't own land in near east downtown....

mkay... see, I just don't think the locals by-and-large know what "walkable urbanity" looks like.  And they shouldn't be trusted to do the work that needs to be done to make that "walkable urbanity" option attractive to more than just the childless downtown luxury condo crowd and their massive amounts of disposable income...

Interesting to read your take on the people who had actual hands-on experience with a project like Gallery Place in DC...

quote:
Originally posted by aoxamaxoa

Well DUH! Told you so. Promoters! Brokers! Shicksters!

"She (mayor) said one appealing aspect of the East End project is that Global is working with a local group that knows what the scene should be downtown."  NOW THAT'S FUNNY!!!!!

Looks like the Nordam bunch likes lawsuits. They must have given up on the prospect being able to perform to sue them for the earnest deposit money. Was some other party waiting in the wings? doubtful.... just greed.

All hail the victorious status quo... [}:)]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org