A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:49:50 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just got back San Francisco: Tulsa is fried!  (Read 8680 times)
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2006, 07:14:16 pm »

Just curious.  I have run across similar statements from people all the time.  Tulsa doesn't have enough of X, Y, or Z.  Then people set out a list of X, Y, and Z that is in Tulsa lol.  

Is this perception caused by the fact that Tulsa doesnt have as much of certain things as other cities?

Is this perception caused by the fact that  things are usually spread out and not centrally located, or somehow not as readily found or seen by people visiting or who live here?

Or is it the case, of food for instance, that there is so much crap and fast food stuff that if creates an appearance of the other types as being far less?  

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Rico
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2006, 09:40:20 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist

Just curious.  I have run across similar statements from people all the time.  Tulsa doesn't have enough of X, Y, or Z.  Then people set out a list of X, Y, and Z that is in Tulsa lol.  

Is this perception caused by the fact that Tulsa doesnt have as much of certain things as other cities?

Is this perception caused by the fact that  things are usually spread out and not centrally located, or somehow not as readily found or seen by people visiting or who live here?

Or is it the case, of food for instance, that there is so much crap and fast food stuff that if creates an appearance of the other types as being far less?  

To me the explanation is fairly simple...

Tulsa... Compared to the portion of San Francisco I like, is much more an automobile oriented City...

That is what I hope to see in DT Tulsa some day... A village..type community where if you don't know you ask someone.. Not get in your car and try and find it somewhere between here and BF Egypt......[}:)]
YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2006, 09:44:03 pm »

quote:

I'm going with this answer Smiley  All the visible spots already have the mass market capacity calculated amounts of McDonalds, Subway, KFC, QuikTrip etc...

The more sophisticated stuff is off the beaten path, not directly adjacent to major intersections with a huge ol' parking lot in front.

The reason developers keep going for big box, suburban style developments with anti-pedestrian design and huge parking lots is because that is what gives you visiblity in a place like Tulsa.

(I know some of the listed places you may retort are close to traffic intersections, but my point stands about what is visible and what the average Tulsan ignores)

That being said, even for all the fast food and corporate machine restraunts we have around here, there is still a lot more.  Reason being, EATING is by far the number one recreational activity in Tulsa.  I think we set the trend for the rest of the country when it came to eating out 3 times a day with fast food and QuikTrips on every corner.  The rest are just now getting caught up with us Smiley

YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2006, 09:45:02 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Rico

quote:

To me the explanation is fairly simple...

Tulsa... Compared to the portion of San Francisco I like, is much more an automobile oriented City...

That is what I hope to see in DT Tulsa some day... A village..type community where if you don't know you ask someone.. Not get in your car and try and find it somewhere between here and BF Egypt......[}:)]

Haha, thats great.  You put it much simpler than me Smiley  You posted while I was typing up my rambling and beat me to it Smiley

TulsaDavid
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2006, 10:49:39 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by rwarn17588 You got an inside scoop on Jamil's, TulsaDavid?
My wife was told about Jamil's closing where she works, which is not too far from Jamil's.

It's no secret that I-44 is widening. But how that will affect Jamil's was taken as a "given" prematurely on my part.

Out of curiosity we went to Jamil's tonight to eat. If any of you have ever been there, you know the older waiter and waitress who have been there forever. When asked whether Jamil's was going to close, he said, "I don't think so"; and she says, "If I-44 notifies them of taking their property, probably."

Consider my previous report inconclusive.
rwarn17588
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2006, 12:12:55 am »

OK ... I've actually talked to Tyrone Elias, the owner, a few months ago. He's obviously not happy about the I-44 widening, but told me he's keeping his options open about a new location.

A lot's probaby going to depend on 1) how much money he gets from the property seizure; 2) what location, if any, is available.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2006, 06:04:52 am »

Debbie Elias Woodrum used to come on here talking about the I-44 expansion. Her primary complaint was that no property owners had been notified. This was months ago though and very little was final at the time.

If I was Jamil's I would welcome the opportunity to relocate with open arms, that building looks like it'll fall over in a strong breeze. Depite complaints about "not getting what your property is worth" I know of people who having been buying up property in the area, knowing they will make quick cash.
Sangria
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2006, 09:49:40 am »

Tulsa is an amazing city when it comes to food available.

Anything you can possibly want is here - you just have to seek it out. I seldom eat fast food so I tend to look off the beaten track.

Most of the nicer places to eat have something for everyone.

That said, Tulsa is almost famous for frying everything which does make us sound like we are not into healthy eating.
yayaya
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2006, 01:12:08 pm »

no Fuji is sushi/japanese-In the Raw is better(not so much rice on the rolls, imo) Shogun is the "chop em up in front of you" place. Fun for families.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org