A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:10:41 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Is Gas Cheaper In OKC?  (Read 10414 times)
lindab
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2006, 07:20:00 am »

Conan71 said "Lubricants"
rwarn17588
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2006, 10:17:18 am »

The St. Louis area has the same sort of stricter requirements for gasoline. And, like Tulsa, it has problems with ozone during the summer.

So anytime you're driving through the St. Louis area, it's always best to wait until you're in the next county over or so, because you'll generally find cheaper gas.

I've found that the same rule applies, to a lesser extent, with Tulsa.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2006, 10:49:59 am »

quote:
Originally posted by lindab

Conan71 said "Lubricants"

Is that some sort of Beavis and Butthead reference? heh heh

Sunoco Tulsa makes a variety of products including lubricants, aviation fuel and gasoline for QT and other retailers.

Power is nothing till you use it.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2006, 12:12:07 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by OKmetro

Gas a joke... You guys are abused by the companies and make excuses around everything... It should be a dollar or less...

Why is it that other companies can charge more for their products than what it takes to make or the material is actually worth but gas companies cant?  I dont charge my service or artwork by how much its worth, I charge by how much I can get for it.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
okiebybirth
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2006, 10:26:13 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist

quote:

Gas a joke... You guys are abused by the companies and make excuses around everything... It should be a dollar or less...

Why is it that other companies can charge more for their products than what it takes to make or the material is actually worth but gas companies cant?  I dont charge my service or artwork by how much its worth, I charge by how much I can get for it.

Gas has become more of a necessity than a luxury, and therefore should be regulated as such.  Also, the oil industry would be considered a near monopoly since the barriers to entry are too high for others to break into the market.
Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2006, 01:06:06 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by okiebybirth

quote:

quote:

Gas has become more of a necessity than a luxury, and therefore should be regulated as such.  Also, the oil industry would be considered a near monopoly since the barriers to entry are too high for others to break into the market.

Of course your declaration of "near monopoly" status conveniently ignores the fact that, despite the high barriers to entry, the oil industry is in fact no where near a monopoly.   Chevron, ExxonMobil, Shell, Valero, Citgo, Sunoco, QuikTrip, 7-11, Sinclair, Conoco Phillips, Marathon, the list goes on . . . and on . . . hardly the sign of a monopoly.

okiebybirth
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2006, 01:55:33 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Oil Capital

quote:

quote:

quote:

Of course your declaration of "near monopoly" status conveniently ignores the fact that, despite the high barriers to entry, the oil industry is in fact no where near a monopoly.   Chevron, ExxonMobil, Shell, Valero, Citgo, Sunoco, QuikTrip, 7-11, Sinclair, Conoco Phillips, Marathon, the list goes on . . . and on . . . hardly the sign of a monopoly.

You need to look at your list, all of them aren't oil companies, but retailers who have to buy oil from the major oil companies.  
Oligopolistic competition is what we see in the oil markets, imperfect competition.

The term supermajor generally refers to one of the big six vertically integrated, private sector, oil, natural gas, and petrol companies. Formed through Mergers and acquisitions and organic growth over the last hundred years or so. Trading under various names around the world, they are considered to be:

Shell
BP
ExxonMobil
Total
ConocoPhillips
Chevron
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2006, 02:46:59 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by patric

quote:

Tulsa agreed to impose a requirement for a special blend of gasoline to cut down on air pollution.  That special blend is the reason for Tulsa's prices being higher than OKC's.  (And IIRC, neither of the Tulsa refineries produces the special blend, so all of Tulsa's gasoline has to come up from the Gulf Coast.)

What is the extent of the geographic area covered by this agreement?  How are the borders defined?
Did anyone else just experience a sensation of vulnerability reading that?

Basically that was for the Tulsa MSA and it was for "low vapor pressure" fuel for OZONE season but that expires Oct 1 of each year if I remember correctly.  Originally the producers agreed to produce this fuel at no additional cost but that may have gone by the wayside.

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2006, 03:12:42 pm »

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You need to look at your list, all of them aren't oil companies, but retailers who have to buy oil from the major oil companies.  
Oligopolistic competition is what we see in the oil markets, imperfect competition.

The term supermajor generally refers to one of the big six vertically integrated, private sector, oil, natural gas, and petrol companies. Formed through Mergers and acquisitions and organic growth over the last hundred years or so. Trading under various names around the world, they are considered to be:

Shell
BP
ExxonMobil
Total
ConocoPhillips
Chevron

Yes I know all about the super-majors.  But a few points, if I may:  (1)  six competitors does not a monopoly make.  (2) These six are far from the only companies producing oil and they are far from the only companies refining oil.  In fact, I beleive the largest refiner in America is not on the list of super-majors. (See, e.g., Valero, Sunoco, Tesoro, Frontier, Lyondell) (3) Indeed, the companies on my list were ALL retailers.  They do not however, all have to buy their product from one of the super-majors.  There are plenty of other producers, both state-owned (such as Citgo) and publicly-held (Anadarko, Apache, Amerada Hess, Oxy, just to name a few off the top of my head.  And, as mentioned above, there are plenty of non-"major" refnining companies out there as well.

okiebybirth
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2006, 03:37:45 pm »

quote:

quote:

Yes I know all about the super-majors.  But a few points, if I may:  (1)  six competitors does not a monopoly make.  (2) These six are far from the only companies producing oil and they are far from the only companies refining oil.  In fact, I beleive the largest refiner in America is not on the list of super-majors. (See, e.g., Valero, Sunoco, Tesoro, Frontier, Lyondell) (3) Indeed, the companies on my list were ALL retailers.  They do not however, all have to buy their product from one of the super-majors.  There are plenty of other producers, both state-owned (such as Citgo) and publicly-held (Anadarko, Apache, Amerada Hess, Oxy, just to name a few off the top of my head.  And, as mentioned above, there are plenty of non-"major" refnining companies out there as well.

No, it's not a monopoly; it's a oligopoly, which is not perfect competition.  Anadarko, Amereda Hess, etc... are not large enough to supply oil to a great extent to large retail chains.  56% of oil production in the U.S. comes from six producers.  All those refining companies without a oil exploration arm have to buy oil from the large oil companies.  Big Oil has a known cartel, OPEC.  Cartels are explicitly created when you have oligopic conditions, though cartels are against U.S. law (though how do you prove when large corporations are acting in concert with each other?).  I never claimed it was a monopoly, but if you have problems with the term "near monopoly", then oligopoly is actually a more definitive term.
Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2006, 03:48:53 pm »

quote:

quote:

quote:

No, it's not a monopoly; it's a oligopoly, which is not perfect competition.  Anadarko, Amereda Hess, etc... are not large enough to supply oil to a great extent to large retail chains.  56% of oil production in the U.S. comes from six producers.  All those refining companies without a oil exploration arm have to buy oil from the large oil companies.  Big Oil has a known cartel, OPEC.  Cartels are explicitly created when you have oligopic conditions, though cartels are against U.S. law (though how do you prove when large corporations are acting in concert with each other?).  I never claimed it was a monopoly, but if you have problems with the term "near monopoly", then oligopoly is actually a more definitive term.

Indeed that would be more definitive.  And I do have a problem with the use of the "term" "near monopoly" when you were clearly attempting to imply something that was not the case.  If you meant oligopoly, perhaps you should have said oligopoly.  As to an oligopoly, I think it is very debatable whether a group of 6 companies collectively controlling only 56% percent of the market really constitutes an oligopoly.  (And by the way, OPEC does not consist of the six super-major oil companies; it is the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries)

Further on the 56% number you quoted.  I'm not sure the percentage of oil production in the U.S. that comes from the six producers is even relevant to the market we are discussing.  As you surely know, a large portion of the oil used in America is not from American production.  The relevant percentage we should be looking at is: what percentage of the feed stock used to produce the gasoline consumed in America was produced by one of the super-majors?  I have not been able to find that number.  If you have a source, I'd love to see it.

Here's some more on your 56% number.  It appears you may have made an error.  The source I was able to find says that as of 2004, 56% of total US oil production came from TEN, not six companies.  http://www.gravmag.com/oil2.html#producers

si_uk_lon_ok
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2006, 04:05:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Jammie

The gas in Tulsa is only 2.09?[?]OMG, ours have finally gone down to 2.28 here in So. Dak. It wasn't too many weeks ago that we were paying over 3.00 a gallon. Oh well, life is good cause we'll need to fill gas when we get to Tulsa.[Tongue]

Cry me a river! I pay 6.20 on a good day!
okiebybirth
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2006, 06:06:27 pm »

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Indeed that would be more definitive.  And I do have a problem with the use of the "term" "near monopoly" when you were clearly attempting to imply something that was not the case.  If you meant oligopoly, perhaps you should have said oligopoly.  As to an oligopoly, I think it is very debatable whether a group of 6 companies collectively controlling only 56% percent of the market really constitutes an oligopoly.  (And by the way, OPEC does not consist of the six super-major oil companies; it is the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries)

Further on the 56% number you quoted.  I'm not sure the percentage of oil production in the U.S. that comes from the six producers is even relevant to the market we are discussing.  As you surely know, a large portion of the oil used in America is not from American production.  The relevant percentage we should be looking at is: what percentage of the feed stock used to produce the gasoline consumed in America was produced by one of the super-majors?  I have not been able to find that number.  If you have a source, I'd love to see it.

Here's some more on your 56% number.  It appears you may have made an error.  The source I was able to find says that as of 2004, 56% of total US oil production came from TEN, not six companies.  http://www.gravmag.com/oil2.html#producers

I stand corrected, ten companies supply more than 50% of US oil production, and I would argue that is very significant.  OPEC is a cartel that controls a significant portion of the oil in the World so my statement that there is not perfect competition in the marketplace is true; the price of oil would drop if not for OPEC and the controlling of how much oil is produced in a day.  And with ten corporations controlling a majority of the oil in the U.S., then it's a very good argument that there is most likely collusion occurring.  

So my point is still valid, there is not perfect competition in the marketplace so there is a difference between the oil industry and the services that 'Ze Artist offers.  (And I'd still argue that oil is a necessity whereas beautiful murals are more of a luxury).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/raymond-j-learsy/taxing-oils-monopoly-pro_b_17262.html?view=print
Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2006, 07:15:23 pm »

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I stand corrected, ten companies supply more than 50% of US oil production, and I would argue that is very significant.  OPEC is a cartel that controls a significant portion of the oil in the World so my statement that there is not perfect competition in the marketplace is true; the price of oil would drop if not for OPEC and the controlling of how much oil is produced in a day.  And with ten corporations controlling a majority of the oil in the U.S., then it's a very good argument that there is most likely collusion occurring.  

So my point is still valid, there is not perfect competition in the marketplace so there is a difference between the oil industry and the services that 'Ze Artist offers.  (And I'd still argue that oil is a necessity whereas beautiful murals are more of a luxury).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/raymond-j-learsy/taxing-oils-monopoly-pro_b_17262.html?view=print

You still seem to be confusing US oil prouction (which is what the 10 companies control more than 50% of) with U.S. oil consumption, for which I have not found and you have not shown any numbers.  But, you've also made it quite clear that your position does not rely on persnickety little things like facts.

okiebybirth
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2006, 07:49:06 pm »

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You still seem to be confusing US oil prouction (which is what the 10 companies control more than 50% of) with U.S. oil consumption, for which I have not found and you have not shown any numbers.  But, you've also made it quite clear that your position does not rely on persnickety little things like facts.

I'm well aware of the difference of US oil production and US oil consumption and I'm not sure where I ever talked of consumption, but hey whatever you see.  If you think that the oil industry is a open competitive market, then power to you.  I don't know why you feel the need to attack me, but do your best and keep thinking 7-11 and Valero is going to keep your gas price low, but I'm not interested in explaining or clarifying any longer.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org