A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:18:23 am
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Is Gas Cheaper In OKC?  (Read 10415 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« on: September 25, 2006, 03:30:58 pm »

Anyone know why gas is cheaper in OKC?  It was $1.97 per gal along I-35 this afternoon, and it was still $2.09 coming off the T'pike into Tulsa.  Closest refinery I can think of to OKC is in Ardmore, yet Sinclair is right in the middle of Tulsa.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 04:10:05 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

because the Fiesta Mart/QT cartel sets prices here and no such cartel exists in OKC.

the refinery **** has nothing to do with it.  in fact, the Sinclair refinery doesnt even deliver gas to stations here.  gas is shipped up from the gulf coast.

Sure are a lot of QT (OTL) trucks coming and going from Sinclair.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 04:11:20 pm »

I think the QT trucks are coming and going from the other refinery, the Sunoco, not the Sinclair.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 04:12:20 pm »

Last I knew Sunoco quit "brewing" gasoline about 1994 or so and only lubricants are made there.

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 05:51:05 pm »

Yup...You hit the nail on the head QT sets the market everyone else in Tulsa follows.....And yes QT fuel is from Sunoco.....Actually you don't have to travel to Okc to find lower prices....Just up 412 Chouteau fuel was 10 cents a gallon cheaper all summer fuel in most of the towns north-east was 10 cents a gallon cheaper....

Jammie
Civic Leader

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 07:25:44 pm »

The gas in Tulsa is only 2.09?[?]OMG, ours have finally gone down to 2.28 here in So. Dak. It wasn't too many weeks ago that we were paying over 3.00 a gallon. Oh well, life is good cause we'll need to fill gas when we get to Tulsa.[Tongue]

Adopt an older pet. Help them remember what it feels like to be loved.
SoonerRiceGrad
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 07:49:59 pm »

I paid $1.98 at 134th and Penn the other day...

Suckaaas!! [Cheesy]
OKmetro
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006, 08:49:33 pm »

Gas a joke... You guys are abused by the companies and make excuses around everything... It should be a dollar or less...

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 08:48:46 am »

Sounds like there are pockets where retailers take advantage of the local market.  I went out to Woodward on business a few weeks ago.  Gas in Enid was $2.25, in Woodward it was still $2.52 the same day!

SoonerRiceGrad
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 06:36:50 pm »

That's the ruralscape for you.

Actually gas is still a bargain. You'll notice it did not go up with inflation in the 90s... if gas is sold for what it should be there would be no doubt light rail is the way to go. But till then it's just me with a pipe dream for Oklahoma...
Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2006, 09:34:33 am »

I recall reading somewhere (and I could have sworn it was on this forum) that several years ago, Tulsa agreed to impose a requirement for a special blend of gasoline to cut down on air pollution.  That special blend is the reason for Tulsa's prices being higher than OKC's.  (And IIRC, neither of the Tulsa refineries produces the special blend, so all of Tulsa's gasoline has to come up from the Gulf Coast.)

soloriter
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2006, 09:58:36 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Oil Capital

I recall reading somewhere (and I could have sworn it was on this forum) that several years ago, Tulsa agreed to impose a requirement for a special blend of gasoline to cut down on air pollution.  That special blend is the reason for Tulsa's prices being higher than OKC's.  (And IIRC, neither of the Tulsa refineries produces the special blend, so all of Tulsa's gasoline has to come up from the Gulf Coast.)

From James McCarthy's 2000 statement to the Senate Agriculture Committee:

"In my hometown of Tulsa, we are experiencing a situation that graphically illustrates this point. Like many other regions, Tulsa has experienced in recent weeks sharp increases in gasoline prices. Here's why: our local regulators have entered into an agreement with EPA so that a special gasoline with 8.2 Reid Vapor Pressure (RVP) is sold in Tulsa county during summer months. Tulsa is the only area in the nation where this particular gasoline is sold. As a result, no refiner manufactures it, but rather two different gasolines are mixed together to meet the 8.2 specification. Most of these two kinds of gasoline come from refineries on the Gulf Coast and are transported by pipeline to Tulsa. That was not a problem in 1999. Unfortunately, since last year, 98 counties in East Texas that are along the pipeline that connects Tulsa to the Gulf Coast refineries now require one of the gasolines that is blended to make Tulsa's fuel. That increased demand from motorists in the Texas counties caused an increase in the price of gasoline in our Tulsa market when the summer driving season began. Once again, this is a simple case of the relationship of supply, demand and price."

http://agriculture.senate.gov/Hearings/Hearings_2000/July_20__2000/00720mcc.htm
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2006, 12:20:24 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Oil Capital

Tulsa agreed to impose a requirement for a special blend of gasoline to cut down on air pollution.  That special blend is the reason for Tulsa's prices being higher than OKC's.  (And IIRC, neither of the Tulsa refineries produces the special blend, so all of Tulsa's gasoline has to come up from the Gulf Coast.)

What is the extent of the geographic area covered by this agreement?  How are the borders defined?
Did anyone else just experience a sensation of vulnerability reading that?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
OKC_Shane
Civic Leader

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2006, 03:20:41 pm »

By "entered into an agreement" they probably mean the EPA forced them to enter the deal or pay enormous fines. OKC has this on the horizon since this year was our first bad ozone/pollution level year as defined by the EPA.

One reason for cheaper prices could be that I-35 is a very competitive corridor, especially through OKC metro. Lots of major truck stops. I-40 is worse.
SoonerRiceGrad
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2006, 08:42:46 pm »

Shane change your sig. lol

One could figure that should Tulsa develop reasonable mass transit they get their cheap gas back.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org