A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:07:40 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts From a Tulsan on 9/11  (Read 2328 times)
billintulsa
« on: September 11, 2006, 06:54:30 am »

This morning marks the 5th anniversary for the attacks on 9/11. As a result, we learned many lessons when it comes to security for our nation. Since that infamous date, it is nearly impossible to turn on the news and not hear the words "terrorism" or "homeland security."

But regardless of one's politics or personal beliefs, there was another lesson we could take from 9/11: The Brevity of Life.

I often wonder how many of those people who prepared for work on that September morning kissed their loved ones goodbye; how many of them left without saying a word. In either case, those people parted for work for the final time.

"Live like there is no tomorrow" is not simply an epicurean slogan, it's also a wise piece of advice. None of us know the date and time when our existence will come to a close, nor do we know the conditions which will surround the event. I am sure that if any of those caught up in the 9/11 attacks had some idea that they would never see their loved ones again, they would have hugged them just a little longer.

Over the weekend I watched the movie "United 93." While watching this movie, I found myself asking the same question: What if any of these passengers knew what was about to happen? (Incidentally, this movie was very good and I highly recommend it.)

Take this lesson and benefit from its teaching. Hug your loved ones a little tighter. Kiss them a little longer. Cherish the time you have together.

If you were given a checking account where you received $1,440 every day for the rest of your life, you would probably become overjoyed. But imagine you were told that each day you had to spend every cent before the stroke of midnight. If you were able to achieve this goal, then you would be given another $1,440 to do the same. But the moment you had money left over, or if you came up short before midnight, the deal would be off and you would never receive another cent. Fantasy?

IMPORTANT: Every night, someone deposits into your bank account of time 1,440 minutes. You are required to spend every second any way you wish, but when you spend it, it is gone forever. You never know when your account will be closed and those deposits will be no more. But for the time being, you only have one chance to spend any particular moment, so spend it with wisdom and with love.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org