A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:04:10 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rumored Facebook AI center  (Read 2153 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« on: March 03, 2024, 11:10:06 am »

The city is working to finalize a development deal that would bring an $800 million data center to far east Tulsa.
Project Anthem would be constructed on 340 acres south and west of the intersection of 11th Street and the Creek Turnpike and, once operational, employ 50 people.

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/business/800-million-data-center-in-the-works-in-east-tulsa/article_f630aac0-d741-11ee-8b95-272feae7310b.html

But should we?

Public data hint at the potential toll of this approach. Researchers at UC Riverside estimated last year, for example, that global AI demand could cause data centers to suck up 1.1 trillion to 1.7 trillion gallons of freshwater by 2027. A separate study from a university in the Netherlands, this one peer-reviewed, found that AI servers’ electricity demand could grow, over the same period, to be on the order of 100 terawatt hours per year, about as much as the entire annual consumption of Argentina or Sweden.

Carbon offsets and clean-energy power-purchase agreements may help Microsoft achieve carbon-negative and water-positive operations on paper, but they don’t necessarily net out the effects on local communities, or anyone else for that matter. The power-purchase agreements, for example, give utility providers money up front to build more renewable-energy or carbon-free-energy capacity, but not necessarily on the grids that Microsoft uses. That means the company’s data centers may still be running on fossil fuels and generating emissions, while clean energy is being underutilized somewhere else. “Purchasing clean energy is not the same as physically consuming clean energy,” Microsoft wrote in its own 2023 white paper about decarbonizing the cloud.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2024/03/ai-water-climate-microsoft/677602/

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2024, 11:50:42 am »

(sarcasm on)

Not to worry, John Kerry and AL Gore worked all this out with the UN and other globalist at Davos that when the UN takes over agriculture and food production in the US all the farms and ranches will become wind and solar farms and since water won't be wasted for food production they can use it for server farms.

(sarcasm off)
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2024, 09:06:15 am »

This would be the first project at Fair Oaks.  I've said it before but Fair Oaks could be like MAIP but mostly within Tulsa city limits.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2024, 07:49:13 pm »

M

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
smitteebc
Citizen

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2024, 08:46:23 am »

Is this the same location that GKFF is supporting?
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2024, 04:32:50 pm »

Would be neat I guess, but that's just 50 jobs, and not all of them are going to be high paying. Data centers aren't that great to have around actually. They suck up a ton of resources and don't give much back in terms of jobs. They are huge investments, but after they are built I don't know that they mean much to anything locally besides a huge liability if the area gets hit by a big storm or something. It's not like FB is going to open an office here.

That being said, I guess it's nice to be on someone's radar and have SOME tech presence.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2024, 05:34:36 pm »

This sounds like the Meta data center they built in Los Lunas New Mexico about 30 miles south of Albuquerque.

https://www.kob.com/archive/facebook-announces-800m-expansion-plan-for-los-lunas-data-center/

https://maps.app.goo.gl/rWZT4c5NzcMrjyiz7

They planned to build one in Mesa but sold the land to another data center developer.

https://www.datacenterdynamics.com/en/news/meta-sells-land-in-mesa-arizona-to-data-center-developer-edgecore/

https://maps.app.goo.gl/JiyyjF1uvmTmBfhu6

« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 05:37:31 pm by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
ELG4America
Activist

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2024, 08:56:59 pm »

As long as there is no (or small) tax incentives, it would be a sizable millage increase for county property tax collections. Nothing to get to excited about but generally positive. As for the water issues, Oklahoma is probably one of the better places for water consuming data centers. The Mississippi valley would be better still.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2024, 11:56:22 am »

Would be neat I guess, but that's just 50 jobs, and not all of them are going to be high paying. Data centers aren't that great to have around actually. They suck up a ton of resources and don't give much back in terms of jobs. They are huge investments, but after they are built I don't know that they mean much to anything locally besides a huge liability if the area gets hit by a big storm or something. It's not like FB is going to open an office here.

That being said, I guess it's nice to be on someone's radar and have SOME tech presence.

Like the big Google center over at MAIP.   Few people.  Big box.  Uses lots of power.  Modest improvement to county overall.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2024, 01:00:22 pm »

Like the big Google center over at MAIP.   Few people.  Big box.  Uses lots of power. 

Built under the traffic pattern at the airport and then complained about the airplane traffic. 

Shocked

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2024, 11:30:40 am »

Built under the traffic pattern at the airport and then complained about the airplane traffic.  

Shocked

Google?  Seems to be a distance there.

I can remember in the 60's when we moved into a house directly under the flight pattern at 21st & Memorial.  The chatter through the neighborhood was fear of another airplane crashing after take off.  One had done that near 51st & Memorial in about 1958 or 59...?.  Open pasture at that time so no injuries on the ground, but still the fear.

I also remember hearing a couple of sonic booms in the 50's - it is kind of impressive, especially to a little kid!  I am guessing it was out of Tinker or Altus before that became not allowed.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2024, 12:16:01 pm »

Google?  Seems to be a distance there.

Mid America Industrial Airport (H71) and Google.  Google plant is just northeast of the north end of the runway.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/vEFt6WZtPurCTy4Z8

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2024, 07:52:34 pm »

Mid America Industrial Airport (H71) and Google.  Google plant is just northeast of the north end of the runway.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/vEFt6WZtPurCTy4Z8

Got it!   I was wrongly zoomed in on Tulsa airport mentally!

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2024, 09:51:15 am »

I can remember in the 60's when we moved into a house directly under the flight pattern at 21st & Memorial.  The chatter through the neighborhood was fear of another airplane crashing after take off.  One had done that near 51st & Memorial in about 1958 or 59...?.  Open pasture at that time so no injuries on the ground, but still the fear.

The Tulsa-bound plane had taken off on a routine training flight from McConnell Air Force Base in Wichita about 45 minutes earlier. While flying 23,000 feet above Tulsa at about 1:35 p.m., the jet began making a 45-degree turn. Suddenly, its left wing broke off and the plane exploded and disintegrated.
Debris was reported from 21st to 51st streets between Yale Avenue and Memorial Drive. The largest chunk – a portion of the rear fuselage and landing gear – landed in a pasture about 200 yards from a home in the 2200 block of Memorial.
Two days earlier, a B-47 had accidentally dropped an unarmed atomic bomb on a house in Florence, South Carolina

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/history/throwback-tulsa-b-47-jet-broke-apart-raining-debris-on-east-tulsa-in-58/article_4ff393dd-d055-5446-acd1-cd1c7184ae20.html
« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 10:05:22 am by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2024, 11:08:34 am »

The Tulsa-bound plane had taken off on a routine training flight from McConnell Air Force Base in Wichita about 45 minutes earlier. While flying 23,000 feet above Tulsa at about 1:35 p.m., the jet began making a 45-degree turn. Suddenly, its left wing broke off and the plane exploded and disintegrated.
Debris was reported from 21st to 51st streets between Yale Avenue and Memorial Drive. The largest chunk – a portion of the rear fuselage and landing gear – landed in a pasture about 200 yards from a home in the 2200 block of Memorial.
Two days earlier, a B-47 had accidentally dropped an unarmed atomic bomb on a house in Florence, South Carolina

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/history/throwback-tulsa-b-47-jet-broke-apart-raining-debris-on-east-tulsa-in-58/article_4ff393dd-d055-5446-acd1-cd1c7184ae20.html

My parents lived on 30th st between S 76th and S78th E Aves back then. Where those nose section landed is on the following map and is directly across the street from the house I grew up in.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/rwb9eAw93gJexcFCA

This is the maneuver that caused B-47's to have a wing snap off in mid flight. The maneuver over stressed the wings beyond the capabilities.

Aircraft like the B-47 practiced “toss-bombing” techniques, which involved planes releasing their bombs while climbing upwards into loops. The maneuver put unbelievable stress on a jet’s wings. (Image source: WikiCmmons)
The one in Tulsa was not the only one this happened to. There were multiple B-47's that crashed because of this plan from Strategic Air Command.

While only completing half the loop, they would fly in low, pull up into the vertical, release the bomb and continue to the top of the loop where they would then roll from inverted to right side up and fly off in the direction they came from. SAC lost 58 B-47's in two years, sometimes two in the same day.

https://militaryhistorynow.com/2018/09/16/broken-bombers-how-the-u-s-military-covered-up-fatal-flaws-in-the-b-47-stratojet-with-disastrous-results/

« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 11:24:44 am by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org