A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:04:14 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uptown/18th & Boston Area  (Read 6630 times)
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« on: October 27, 2022, 01:29:16 pm »

360 Engineering broke ground on their new HQ building I think today or just in the past few days. Will be 3 stories, little under 20,000 sq. ft. I don't have any renderings of it though.

On one of the lots Sharp owns almost right across from Double Shot. I've heard they are planning a parking structure in that area as well along with some additional multifamily. Their Riverside & SW Blvd project they won the RFP on is moving along too, will likely start sometime next year. Sharp has been quietly buying up stuff in this area.

Brut Hotel is moving, slowly. I think opening date is first few months of next year.  
buffalodan
Activist

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2022, 09:08:58 am »

https://tulsaworld.com/business/local/local-engineering-firm-to-stretch-out-in-new-mixed-use-development/article_dbc9f454-5563-11ed-a422-f336cae46466.html

They had renderings. I'm really curious what this ends up looking like. Quite a bit of elevation change on that. I like the walls/stairs in the front and curious how that looks on the other sides.
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2022, 09:21:14 am »

Pretty interesting. They have 1,200 sf of retail space included, but I have to wonder what type of business they are thinking of for that space. It's a decent location, but a somewhat small space inside a building that by itself won't get a lot of traffic. A coffee shop won't make it considering double shot is next door. A print and ship place would be great there though, especially with an engineering firm overhead.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2022, 04:12:33 pm »

This will be Tulsa's first structural Cross-Laminated Timber (CLT) building.  Pretty cool and hopefully leads to more of this building type.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2022, 08:45:57 pm »

This will be Tulsa's first structural Cross-Laminated Timber (CLT) building.  Pretty cool and hopefully leads to more of this building type.

Super Plywood.  (Not what you get at the big box stores.)

https://www.apawood.org/cross-laminated-timber

« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 08:47:53 pm by Red Arrow » Logged

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2022, 09:57:31 am »

New building replacing Burnco and an adjacent retail building where a small parking lot is currently located at 18th & Boston.  Is Burnco not renewing their lease?

« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 10:00:15 am by SXSW » Logged

shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2022, 11:43:05 am »

Nice. I know it's said around town a lot, but it's never been more true than here: this will really help fill things in and make it more of a true district.

Where'd these renderings come from? Maybe Burnco is still in negotiations? I know they had some issues when they opened up the second location with logistics and staff. Maybe they decided it was better to stick with the one location from now on... Or, more likely, the rent on this new space will be way higher than what they were originally paying and if they do a second location again they are going to look for somewhere cheaper.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2022, 02:45:39 pm »

Lilly Architects.  I don't know if Burnco is moving back in or not.  I hope so as I live close but understand if they wanted a different, cheaper location.  I'd love to see them in a developing area like 15th & Delaware.

LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2022, 01:55:06 pm »

I like the renderings - must be getting a hefty insurance payout, hopefully they are able to stay true to the renderings and put in a lot of those extra details on the outside. Will make it look great, I love the rooftop area too - Tulsa needs more outdoor dining spaces. It helps make the street environment and entire area of a neighborhood feel so much different with patios/rooftops and being able to see people.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2022, 11:04:11 am »

Is Burnco not renewing their lease?

They are not.  
The new rent is too damn high.

Or, more likely, the rent on this new space will be way higher than what they were originally paying and if they do a second location again they are going to look for somewhere cheaper.

^ this is the case
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 11:07:14 am by BKDotCom » Logged
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2022, 11:32:35 am »

They are not.  
The new rent is too damn high.

^ this is the case

I wonder how that is affected by:

Building bigger and better than the insurance settlement
Taxes on bigger and better
Greed

shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2022, 11:44:20 am »

^Surely it's a bit of all of the above.

It's obviously going to be a nicer, better building than the 1920's era relic in what I'm assuming was a sleepy little corner of town when Burnco started up. Taxes do go up when you add this much property value as well, though it's probably not as much of a factor as simply trying to squeeze as much money out of the property as possible.

I'm guessing whatever goes in will be somewhat upscale to make it worth it. Just a bit of gentrification for this corner, but as long as Mercury and the Shrine hold things down it'll be OK.

You have to wonder how often this process of driving up prices can go on before these places crumble, especially in the current environment. I don't think Tulsa needs many more upscale eateries at the moment. Prices have already doubled at about every restaurant. Maybe it won't be too many years before Burnco can afford the rent there again...
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2022, 01:47:30 pm »

You have to wonder how often this process of driving up prices can go on before these places crumble,
sending business out of the CBD again to the suburbs.

Not that I go out to eat anyway unless forced to by circumstances.  It's always been expensive for real (not McD's) food and it's almost always way to salty.  I'd rather cook at home.

Prices have already doubled at about every restaurant.

Makes me feel a little better about the price of airplane gas.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2022, 03:31:24 pm »

^Surely it's a bit of all of the above.

It's obviously going to be a nicer, better building than the 1920's era relic in what I'm assuming was a sleepy little corner of town when Burnco started up. Taxes do go up when you add this much property value as well, though it's probably not as much of a factor as simply trying to squeeze as much money out of the property as possible.

I'm guessing whatever goes in will be somewhat upscale to make it worth it. Just a bit of gentrification for this corner, but as long as Mercury and the Shrine hold things down it'll be OK.

You have to wonder how often this process of driving up prices can go on before these places crumble, especially in the current environment. I don't think Tulsa needs many more upscale eateries at the moment. Prices have already doubled at about every restaurant. Maybe it won't be too many years before Burnco can afford the rent there again...

!8th and Boston has been a little bar district since the 1970s. The Burnco building was the Hoffbrau bar for many years.  The it was a Blues and BBQ place. I forget what else was in that building.
Urban Enthusiast
Activist

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2022, 05:09:33 pm »

Does anyone know if this building at 18th and Cincinnati is still slated to be remodeled and occupied?  I know there was talk about it on this forum awhile back.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org