A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:41:04 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jack in the Box at 11th and Memorial  (Read 3390 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« on: March 08, 2022, 11:55:23 am »

The Google Street picture of it is recent (Jan) and I've driven past there a few times now.  Sort of an odd place for it I would think.  I wonder how long this lasts at that location?

https://tinyurl.com/ydh9kcfx

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2022, 02:45:20 pm »

That is a weird retail corridor - few things seem to last beyond U-Haul, RV stores, and bars but who knows - Okies love their crappy microwaved fast food.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2022, 03:53:54 pm »

It's been a long time since I have been over there, but doesn't Admiral between Memorial and Sheridan already have just about every fast food chain known to man?
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2022, 04:21:28 pm »

It's been a long time since I have been over there, but doesn't Admiral between Memorial and Sheridan already have just about every fast food chain known to man?

When I was in town two years ago, it seemed like that area was also the streetwalker area. About the only places I would go eat at would be Hero's Subs and Burgers at Admiral and Sheridan or Coney Island in the old Pizza Hut location.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2022, 06:17:46 pm »

Okies love their crappy microwaved fast food.

Rib Crib, Taco Bueno.

I admit I hit Jack once or twice a week because there's nothing near me that's open when I come home from work at 4:30AM.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 06:20:09 pm by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2022, 04:51:38 am »

Rib Crib, Taco Bueno.

I admit I hit Jack once or twice a week because there's nothing near me that's open when I come home from work at 4:30AM.

I've always been less than impressed with Rib Crib - it's just the TGIFridays of BBQ. Taco Bueno used to be great in the 80s but any more it's just meh - I dunno - they changed their beans years ago and just lost that magic. Jack does fill a niche for a wide variety of eats in the early morning hours but it's a low bar and they seem to be fine not aiming any higher. Now I will give the sandwiches at QT props - they're a hidden gem - well made with a nice variety and consistently high quality.

I still think that Jack location will do well for the the "Okies love crappy fast food" reason and it's proximity to the highway. I'm pretty sure the McDs on Admiral and Memorial is 24 hours but I don't think anything else around there is so they should pick up lots of red-eye travelers.

Now if we could just get some Weinerschnitzels again! Oh man!
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2022, 10:14:14 am »

Now if we could just get some Weinerschnitzels again! Oh man!

Heart attack waiting to happen, same as most fast food. 

https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/Nutrition-Allergen-Guide-WS-01_12_22_Rev_for_WS_website.pdf

Unfortunately another place I wouldn't go except in a dire situation. 

Many years ago I was on a company trip to Maui (I know, tough duty) and had to eat at a McDonald's.  It was late when we got finished with work.  There is no salt in the Pacific Ocean anymore.  It was all in the fries at McDonald's.  They were so salty I couldn't finish them.

tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2022, 11:57:33 am »

Agreed however it should be noted that hot dogs aren't healthy no matter where you eat them. Also, now I want a hot dog for some reason...

Unfortunately another place I wouldn't go except in a dire situation. 

Many years ago I was on a company trip to Maui (I know, tough duty) and had to eat at a McDonald's.  It was late when we got finished with work.  There is no salt in the Pacific Ocean anymore.  It was all in the fries at McDonald's.  They were so salty I couldn't finish them.

Lol! When I worked at Braums during high school we were taught you only salt the first batch or so of fries as the salt would stay in the warming bin and it would be a while before you would need to actually salt a batch of fries again. Still - every employee other than myself and management would just shake the salt dispenser over every batch like it was a maraca. Ugh!

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2022, 12:11:52 pm »

Agreed however it should be noted that hot dogs aren't healthy no matter where you eat them. Also, now I want a hot dog for some reason...

True.  I've never been a hot dog fan though. When I was a kid, I couldn't eat them boiled. If they were split in half lengthwise and cooked on a skillet, they were OK.  It skewed my opinion of sausage until I was introduced to other types like Brats, Polish etc.  Then I had to limit my consumption of sausages and other high saturated fat foods after my cholesterol went up.  I'm also salt sensitive (got it from my mom) so I have to be careful of salt too.  Oh well, it's better than taking a ton of medicine.

Lol! When I worked at Braums during high school we were taught you only salt the first batch or so of fries as the salt would stay in the warming bin and it would be a while before you would need to actually salt a batch of fries again. Still - every employee other than myself and management would just shake the salt dispenser over every batch like it was a maraca. Ugh!

I guess we were all young and indestructible then.   Grin

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2022, 03:16:40 pm »

There is a Weinerschnitzel not far from me and I go there every once in a while, but if I'm going to have Kraut dogs I'll make them at home. For a really good hot dog I'll go to a couple of places that serve Vienna Beef Chicago Hot Dogs along with gyro's

About Bueno, I remember when they opened up and they were good for years, but now it's just blah. I blame some of it from living in the southwest for so long and having so many local places to choose from, but friends have noticed the slide in the quality. I think Del Taco is better than Bueno. for fast food.
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2022, 04:55:03 pm »

Home cooking is always the best. Even the worst home cooking is better than the best fast food.

I grew up in Germany and the Grobe brats from Siegi's are the closest I've ever had to what I ate waaaaay too much of in North Germany. The trick is to heat them in boiling water like a regular hot dog, then move them to a pan and cook them in butter, and finally finish them on the grill. Don't forget the pomme frittes mit Currygewürzketchup.

I feel those arteries hardening just thinking of it but totally worth it.  Grin

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2022, 05:22:03 pm »

One thing I will say about Jack is that at least they haven't spiked prices like the clown and the king. Even Subway has spiked the prices and give you less at the same time. I like their Italian BMT, in December a foot long BMT was $8.25, I bought one a week ago and it was $12.50 and had less meat on it.

Last time I was at McD's it was almost $12.00 for a medium size Big Mac deal. For $2.00 less I'll go to Whataburger.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 05:24:22 pm by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2022, 09:55:48 pm »

I grew up in Germany and the Grobe brats from Siegi's are the closest I've ever had to what I ate waaaaay too much of in North Germany. The trick is to heat them in boiling water like a regular hot dog, then move them to a pan and cook them in butter, and finally finish them on the grill. Don't forget the pomme frittes mit Currygewürzketchup.

I allow myself some stuff that's not good for me, just not too frequently.

I like Siegi's.  I have a Siegi Burger (Grobe Bratwurst Patti) and a Spicy Chicken sausage once a week.  I wipe them both with olive oil and put them on the grill. The Flavor Bars (Weber) prevent direct "view" of the flame.  I turn the burners up just high enough to get grill marks on the first side of the Siegi Burger and then turn the middle burner directly under the burger off when I flip it over.  I also get them cut about 1/2" thick so I don't overcook them.

Other favorites are Polish and Kolbasse which I dice and cooked with cut up acorn, butternut or kabocha squash with some spices in the microwave.  I also liked the Buffalo and Venison but I had to draw the iine somewhere.  A Hispanic friend says Siegi's Chorizo is pretty good.  Keep in mind good Chorizo is really greasy and needs to be cooked and drained to avoid an immediate heart attack.  :-)

I get my Smoked Pork Andouille from Cajun Ed's Hebert's Specialty Meats on 71st just west of Lewis.  Great for Gumbo, Red Beans and Rice and Jambalaya. I think it's actually smoked rather than using liquid smoke.  I also get Tasso there for Jambalaya.

I feel those arteries hardening just thinking of it but totally worth it.  Grin

Yep.  I've able to keep my LDL low enough that my Doctor hasn't put me on nasty meds.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2022, 10:26:00 pm »

Even Subway has spiked the prices and give you less at the same time. I like their Italian BMT, in December a foot long BMT was $8.25,

Next time you are in Tulsa, try Jay's Original Hoagies at 91st and Sheridan.  He makes a really good Delaware Valley (Philly) Italian Hoagie.  The only thing it's missing is Prosciutto.  The Prosciutto is expensive and most around here don't even know what it is.  Take some with you and Jay will put it on the Hoagie for you.  Get the Provolone cheese and oil and vinegar dressing (NO Mayo).  I used to split a 12" Hoagie about once a month with my mom when she was still alive.  Great Hoagie but it fell to my cholesterol battle except if someone from out of town visits.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org