A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:19:07 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Family buys more than 100 acres in Broken Arrow for upcoming 'amazing venture'  (Read 14752 times)
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2021, 10:59:56 am »

The OKANA resort that was recently announced next to the First Americans Museum in OKC will have a Crystal Lagoon.  It is being developed by the Chickasaw's.  If you look at their website they list OKC under real estate projects as well as Tulsa.  I wonder if this could possibly be tied to the Bell's water park?  And are the Cherokee's potentially involved?

https://www.crystal-lagoons.com/real-estate-projects/

There is also one planned for Derby, KS outside Wichita

https://www.kwch.com/2021/10/27/derby-city-council-expands-star-bond-district-crystal-lagoons/
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 11:10:04 am by SXSW » Logged

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2021, 04:48:10 pm »

I can't imagine my family driving that far for Bells. I mean, 21st and Yale was already a hump. 251st st and east Jesus interests me as much as proctology exam performed by rotor-outer.

One of the main reasons I think they went that far out east is so they don't have the NIMBY issues they had with their original location. Zingo could not operate after either 9 or 10 PM unless it was during the fair.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2021, 04:57:04 pm »

The OKANA resort that was recently announced next to the First Americans Museum in OKC will have a Crystal Lagoon.  It is being developed by the Chickasaw's.  If you look at their website they list OKC under real estate projects as well as Tulsa.  I wonder if this could possibly be tied to the Bell's water park?  And are the Cherokee's potentially involved?

https://www.crystal-lagoons.com/real-estate-projects/

There is also one planned for Derby, KS outside Wichita

https://www.kwch.com/2021/10/27/derby-city-council-expands-star-bond-district-crystal-lagoons/

Broken Arrow is in the Muscogee Nation, so I doubt it. It could be the Muscogee Nation or one of the Muscogee tribal towns.
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2021, 05:24:09 pm »

I don't think it would be tied to Bell's. Knowing them, they'll start with something much smaller.

The Creek nation still has plenty of big ambitions. They own a large parcel across from Riverspirit where the mobile home park used to be. They cleared the mobile homes out suddenly years ago and the rumor, if I recall correctly, was that they wanted to build some kind of entertainment/lifestyle center with shopping and amusements possibly including a water park. This is exactly the kind of thing that would fit into their wheelhouse, but the location isn't exactly perfect. They still need to finish out the resort area of riverspirit where they have empty lawn space, IMO.

This probably deserves it's own thread. I am interested to know how serious they are about listing Tulsa as an active project.
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2021, 05:28:19 pm »

One of the main reasons I think they went that far out east is so they don't have the NIMBY issues they had with their original location. Zingo could not operate after either 9 or 10 PM unless it was during the fair.

It's not like they even went that far out there. It's still well within the metro. There aren't many large parcels available, let alone parcels with utility availability and appropriate usage restrictions to build a theme park on near the city.

I know people that drive across the metro just to eat at a particular restaurant. I drive from Sapulpa to the edge of BA every day for work. I don't think that there are many who will be put off by driving 20 minutes to go to an amusement park for the day.
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2021, 06:15:43 pm »

It's not like they even went that far out there. It's still well within the metro. There aren't many large parcels available, let alone parcels with utility availability and appropriate usage restrictions to build a theme park on near the city.

I know people that drive across the metro just to eat at a particular restaurant. I drive from Sapulpa to the edge of BA every day for work. I don't think that there are many who will be put off by driving 20 minutes to go to an amusement park for the day.

I haven't left midtown since my passport expired.  Grin
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2021, 09:50:59 pm »

When I've been back the only reason I go out to SE Tulsa is to visit family in Memorial Park Cemetery, Floral Haven, a few living friends near Meadow Brook CC, and family that lives near 151st and Sheridan.

I keep forgetting that Coweta is almost a suburb of Broken Arrow, since I just don't need to go out that far.

Having lived in the Phoenix metro area for several years, I'm used to making a drive to see friends, go eat at a favorite place, and my work commute is 37 miles one way. It's worth it, the pay is decent the benefits are good, and right now working third shift, 8PM to 4:30AM I don't see rush hour traffic and a recently built freeway makes it a breeze.

https://goo.gl/maps/7w56kmYG2V6hNuSj8
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2021, 01:41:39 pm »

Remember to get all your travel vaccinations up to date if you renew your passport.   Grin

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2021, 02:13:00 pm »

When I've been back the only reason I go out to SE Tulsa is to visit family in Memorial Park Cemetery, Floral Haven, a few living friends near Meadow Brook CC, and family that lives near 151st and Sheridan.

Remember to check traffic on Memorial or use 75 or Peoria/Elm depending on the time of day.

I keep forgetting that Coweta is almost a suburb of Broken Arrow, since I just don't need to go out that far.

I think the last time I went through Coweta was on the way to Wagoner to see the Big Boy steam locomotive a few years ago.

Having lived in the Phoenix metro area for several years, I'm used to making a drive to see friends, go eat at a favorite place, and my work commute is 37 miles one way. It's worth it, the pay is decent the benefits are good, and right now working third shift, 8PM to 4:30AM I don't see rush hour traffic and a recently built freeway makes it a breeze.

For the most part, I can choose my times to drive since I retired.  The pay isn't so good but I'll be OK.  Medicare Supplements (G & D) are expensive.  Advantage plans have some disadvantages they conveniently omit on the TV ads.

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2021, 06:15:43 pm »

Remember to check traffic on Memorial or use 75 or Peoria/Elm depending on the time of day.

It only took one trip going south on Memorial from the Creek to make me realize HWY 75 was a better option since I stay downtown when I visit.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2021, 10:41:33 pm »

Well that didn't take long.  Roll Eyes

https://www.krmg.com/news/some-residents-raise-concerns-over-return-bells-amusement-park/GZ3H66ZTLBBS5F5E3B5PYX5H7Q/
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2021, 09:15:59 am »

Yeah, I mean that is bound to happen no matter where it was built. As long as they set the actual rides several hundred feet south of the road, there shouldn't be a big noise or light issue. The parking lot will take up most of the frontage I'd assume. They can plant trees and place buildings strategically. They could use the indoor attractions to buffer the neighborhood as well.

Traffic will of course be the sticking point. If they use the creek turnpike entrance and place a signalized intersection that turns into the Bell's property there, that should work really well. Might cause a backup onto the turnpike at times though...

The big question is: does Bell's have the acumen to navigate these issues? They did such a poor job of defending themselves against the fair board when they were being kicked out, and in so many other fiasco's they self-created over the past 15 years in their attempts to get restarted. I hope they have someone else taking the lead on all this. I really think if just about anyone else had been running Bell's back in 2006, they would have raised a huge stink and pinned the fair board into making a deal to let Bell's stay. I wonder what Robby has learned about navigating local politics in 15 years.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2021, 04:56:44 pm »

Yeah, I mean that is bound to happen no matter where it was built. As long as they set the actual rides several hundred feet south of the road, there shouldn't be a big noise or light issue. The parking lot will take up most of the frontage I'd assume. They can plant trees and place buildings strategically. They could use the indoor attractions to buffer the neighborhood as well.

Traffic will of course be the sticking point. If they use the creek turnpike entrance and place a signalized intersection that turns into the Bell's property there, that should work really well. Might cause a backup onto the turnpike at times though...

The big question is: does Bell's have the acumen to navigate these issues? They did such a poor job of defending themselves against the fair board when they were being kicked out, and in so many other fiasco's they self-created over the past 15 years in their attempts to get restarted. I hope they have someone else taking the lead on all this. I really think if just about anyone else had been running Bell's back in 2006, they would have raised a huge stink and pinned the fair board into making a deal to let Bell's stay. I wonder what Robby has learned about navigating local politics in 15 years.

Well we can hope that he has a plan that takes noise into consideration with the homes in the area, being able to keep a lot of the mature trees that are there can probably help with some noise and light pollution.

The traffic issue concern is easy to understand, especially since the traffic would be more of a steady stream, but would also include a large volume in the morning and evenings during the operating season. An exit/entrance for the Creek would be a great help to lessen surface street traffic.

I seem to remember from many yeas ago Six Flags Over Texas had it's own exit off of what was then the D/FW Turnpike (I-30) that was on the west side of the park that was also shared with the original ballpark for the Rangers. IIRC Texas Highway 360 only ran from the GM plant to the turnpike, and it was more of a parkway than highway back in the 70's.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2021, 11:08:11 am »

South Tulsans: "Please keep expanding our roads but don't dare add anything that might generate traffic."

Just stop already. You live in sprawl, car traffic is the definition of sprawl.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2021, 02:50:13 pm »

South Tulsans: "Please keep expanding our roads but don't dare add anything that might generate traffic."

Just stop already. You live in sprawl, car traffic is the definition of sprawl.

Most of the newer developments are similar density as mid-town at 5 or more houses per acre.  Some distance measurements on Google Maps and counting houses will show that.  Do you believe that all single family dwellings are sprawl?  I don't want to live in an apartment, tenement, row house or even a duplex.  Sharing walls with others in college dorms and Navy housing was more than enough for me.

A useable public transit system could help alleviate the car situation.  I admit my place, at approximately 1 acre, is sprawl.  My parents bought it in 1971 because they wanted some elbow room and a fenced in back yard big enough for some German Shepherd dogs.  Newer developments in the area are more like new population centers.  At one house per acre and 2 cars per house, there will be probably 1280 cars per square mile. Bump that to 5 houses per acre and the cars go to 6400 cars per square mile.  No wonder the streets are crowded.  Apartment complexes like the one just south of 121st  & Memorial make that even worse.  Zoning out here should have been limited to no more than one house per acre.  Memorial is probably hopeless, even with a good public transit system.  No one is going to hop a bus or trolley to go grocery shopping for several day's worth of stuff.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org