A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:05:50 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Massive new car factory for Pryor  (Read 69616 times)
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2022, 09:17:17 am »

Lol, OK hasn't been worried about hazardous waste ever. We decimated the northeast corner of the state right into a superfund site and destroyed at least two towns in the process. There is heavy industry all over doing pretty much whatever they want. You should see the waste fires in Sapulpa that some of the companies in the industrial park burn at night to get rid of whatever they need to get rid of.

This facility would be amazing. It would be something more realistic than Canoo with about the same impact. Unfortunately it sounds like Kansas has a leg up with incentives, but our location is more logistically sound, IMO. Then again, our roads suck.
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2022, 10:19:55 am »

Lol, OK hasn't been worried about hazardous waste ever. We decimated the northeast corner of the state right into a superfund site and destroyed at least two towns in the process. There is heavy industry all over doing pretty much whatever they want. You should see the waste fires in Sapulpa that some of the companies in the industrial park burn at night to get rid of whatever they need to get rid of.

This facility would be amazing. It would be something more realistic than Canoo with about the same impact. Unfortunately it sounds like Kansas has a leg up with incentives, but our location is more logistically sound, IMO. Then again, our roads suck.

I bet Oklahoma will match anything and everything Kansas is, we just don't have to publicly vote on incentives the way it's set up here. They are already voting on the TIF, which is the only thing that has to be voted on because it requires school approvals - which I don't think the town in Kansas they are looking at has even gotten to that point. This is as big dollar wise or at least close to what Tesla was proposing to build and we offered them in excess of $1 billion in incentives from the state.

Mid-America has something that very very few places in the US can offer, that as soon as they close on the land they can start construction pretty much the next day. When they say 'shovel ready' they mean it, there are no city reviews, building plan approvals, etc. I don't believe they even require you to pull permits there (someone could correct me if I'm wrong there). From my understanding is that the Mid-America folks pretty much operate as its own city government. From everything I've been told by reps from there is that it's a rare set up that can save companies months/years in planning to get a facility under construction fast. They don't have to deal with any NIMBYs or local politics when trying to get the site built.

That might be enough to win it from Kansas if the incentives are close to the same.  
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 10:24:48 am by LandArchPoke » Logged
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2022, 10:25:21 pm »

Semi's yes, but not on the delivery van side. If Walmart wants to challenge Amazon delivery wise they are going to need several thousand smaller delivery vans. Same with Amazon, there won't be one single company who can meet that demand.

Frankly, Walmart if it gets its game together could probably beat Amazon at its own game given its real estate footprint. They could utilize every store they have as a distribution center for same day delivery. Their advantage window is closing fast though given Amazon's pace of distribution center construction everywhere - and Walmart doesn't seem to be reacting very fast to counter Amazon.

Doesn't appear so far that Walmart wants to go that direction.   The certainly could if they wanted, though.   I would rather pick up at store anyway than have them deliver.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2022, 06:12:20 am »

In somewhat related electric vehicles in Oklahoma news - the Nature Conservancy just added a Rivian truck to the Tallgrass Prairie Reserve near Pawhuska - https://stories.rivian.com/tnc-tallgrass

LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2022, 07:21:19 pm »

I'll also add that Panasonic is contracted to make batteries for Tesla and Toyota. Having Tesla in Austin and Toyota USA HQ is in Plano, Tulsa area is a lot closer. I'd assume the Tesla campaign probably helped get us into the final two locations.

I believe there's a direct Union Pacific freight rail line from Pryor that goes all the way to Austin. It's also an easy days drive down 69/75 to 35 to get to Austin. It's more than a days drive coming from KC. Logistically speaking the Pryor location is far better to the customers this plant would be serving.

The site in KC they are scouting is in De Soto - between outer burbs of KC and Lawrence. In a development called Sunflower that was a former ammunitions plant. This would be one of the first employers to go in there so its far less developed than Mid America.

Inola is probably going to be the size of Owasso here in a few years if we land this and Canoo gets off the ground. It's kind of half-way between Mid America and Tulsa so seems like a logical spot to see more residential development. Home prices in Pryor are already pretty high, they are going to have to solve the housing shortage problem in that area. Seems like a lot of the residential developers have been sleeping on that area.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 07:27:10 pm by LandArchPoke » Logged
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2022, 01:15:46 am »

I believe there's a direct Union Pacific freight rail line from Pryor that goes all the way to Austin.

UP goes to Ft Worth from Pryor.  Ft Worth to Austin shows UP lines but I don't know if it's a direct route.

Texas RR Map: https://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/tpp/maps/2016-railroad.pdf

Oklahoma RR Map:  https://oklahoma.gov/content/dam/ok/en/odot/documents/Rail%20Map%202018-2020.pdf

UP may have preferred directions on their routes too.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2022, 12:09:11 pm »

I'll also add that Panasonic is contracted to make batteries for Tesla and Toyota. Having Tesla in Austin and Toyota USA HQ is in Plano, Tulsa area is a lot closer. I'd assume the Tesla campaign probably helped get us into the final two locations.

I believe there's a direct Union Pacific freight rail line from Pryor that goes all the way to Austin. It's also an easy days drive down 69/75 to 35 to get to Austin. It's more than a days drive coming from KC. Logistically speaking the Pryor location is far better to the customers this plant would be serving.

The site in KC they are scouting is in De Soto - between outer burbs of KC and Lawrence. In a development called Sunflower that was a former ammunitions plant. This would be one of the first employers to go in there so its far less developed than Mid America.

Inola is probably going to be the size of Owasso here in a few years if we land this and Canoo gets off the ground. It's kind of half-way between Mid America and Tulsa so seems like a logical spot to see more residential development. Home prices in Pryor are already pretty high, they are going to have to solve the housing shortage problem in that area. Seems like a lot of the residential developers have been sleeping on that area.

There is a large Mennonite presence in the area that owns a lot more of the land than might be obvious to begin.   Just like in Broken Arrow with their churches, there is likely to be big input from them.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2022, 02:38:04 pm »

Inola also has its own port on the Verdigris River and adjacent industrial park.  They could land a massive new factory there that would be closer to Tulsa/Broken Arrow.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 11:38:06 pm by SXSW » Logged

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2022, 03:45:45 pm »

I grew up in Tulsa, born in 1963, so yes I do remember all of the heavy industry that lined Dawson Road, Charles Page Blvd, north side of downtown, and the area out near what was the turnpike gate. And yes I know all about the Picher/Cardin superfund site. I remember when Jimmy Inhofe want to use the chat from the tailing piles (mountains) to pave Oklahoma highways. I have ridden ATV's on those piles in the mid 70's and had friends that worked there before we knew how bad it was.
LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2022, 12:48:12 pm »

Inola also has its own port on the Verdigris River and adjacent industrial park.  They could land a massive new factory there that would be closer to Tulsa/Broken Arrow.

I had forgot about this too - to me this is probably the most under estimated corridor in the MSA right now for future growth. If I was a land speculator the area east of the Creek Turnpike to Inola to Chouteau is prime to just explode population wise in the next 10 years. Lake Hudson is a really pretty area too, I could see it benefiting a lot with more residential growth around the lake.

The site that Tesla was looking at right there would make sense as a 'Tulsa Hills' type development, it would capture Claremore, Catoosa, Far north BA, and anything that develops to the east. You already have a decent amount of retail concentration around the Hard Rock too.

Frankly that might be really beneficial long term for the Tulsa area to develop more toward NWA and really build up the 412 corridor between the two cities. It would be better to align our MSA more with NWA than it is to OKC.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2022, 01:28:43 pm »

I had forgot about this too - to me this is probably the most under estimated corridor in the MSA right now for future growth. If I was a land speculator the area east of the Creek Turnpike to Inola to Chouteau is prime to just explode population wise in the next 10 years. Lake Hudson is a really pretty area too, I could see it benefiting a lot with more residential growth around the lake.

The site that Tesla was looking at right there would make sense as a 'Tulsa Hills' type development, it would capture Claremore, Catoosa, Far north BA, and anything that develops to the east. You already have a decent amount of retail concentration around the Hard Rock too.

Frankly that might be really beneficial long term for the Tulsa area to develop more toward NWA and really build up the 412 corridor between the two cities. It would be better to align our MSA more with NWA than it is to OKC.

412 is a future interstate corridor as well. Will it be I-50?
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2022, 02:50:11 pm »

They are marketing that site known as the Robson Industrial Park for large-scale manufacturing.  This is from the Advanced Mobility Cluster Project submittal which was green-lighted to the next round and could mean $70M in federal seed funds with additional matching funds from local governments and organizations.

Robson Industrial Park
The site represents 2,000 acres of high-visibility, privately-owned greenfield property at the
intersection of I-44 and US-412/future I-42, on Tulsa’s eastern edge; the acreage is a part of a larger
18,000 acre landholding by the Robson family and associated trust entities. The property is ideally
located outside of major residential areas, with proximity to port infrastructure and multi modal
transportation facilities. The property has seen steady interest from major industrial players and
was shortlisted by Tesla and Ford for the expansion of their electric vehicle projects. The
development of the proposed wastewater infrastructure at the site will contribute to the “pad
readiness” necessary to successfully attract Advanced Mobility players.

Tulsa Port of Inola
The site represents 2,500-acres of master-planned industrial space and has undergone a deep
technical and engineering investigation in anticipation of full development. A two million square
foot manufacturing and distribution facility is currently located at the site and 1,100 acres of the
property is “site-certified” for shovel-ready development. The Tulsa Port of Inola site is central to
the creation of stronger urban/rural linkages across the Advanced Mobility value chain.
Additionally, the site offers unique logistics infrastructure in the form of an on-site barge slip and
existing rail service. The development of the proposed wastewater infrastructure at the site will
provide the “pad readiness” necessary to successfully attract Advanced Mobility players.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2022, 02:50:43 pm »

412 is a future interstate corridor as well. Will it be I-50?

It will be I-42

tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2022, 05:42:11 pm »

It will be I-42

I-42 is a proposed corridor in North Carolina afaik
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2022, 09:13:05 pm »

Just had a thought a while ago....Texas is supposed to be "all that and a bag of chips..." in the economy, technology, and so much 'good stuff'.   So why is it with only about 25% smaller population - could be considered close to on par with California - that California has 400% more patents than Texas??

Are they just comparing themselves to their closest intellectual equivalents and kindred spirits, like Mississippi?  Or Alabama? 

Lol...just had to go there...!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org